• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kensington mine wants to dump mine waste into a lake in Southeast Alaska

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
^Your link isn't working correctly, Becky (working link).

I don't know what else to say, except that this makes me very sad.

From the article: The mine will generate 7.5 million tons of mine waste during the first 10 years. Coeur will backfill 3 million tons into the mine (which is an underground operation), and will dump the remaining 4.5 million tons into Lower Slate Lake. According to the mine permit and the mine's environmental documents, the discharge -- a slurry consisting of half solids and half water left over from the gold extraction process and laced with chemical residues -- will kill all of the fish and most other aquatic life in the lake. After the mine closes, the company claims it can restore the lake, but its technical tests were inconclusive as to how successful that will be.

Berners Bay contains the last healthy spawning population of herring in the greater Lynn Canal region, while the spring eulachon ("hooligan" or candlefish) run forms the base of a productive food chain supporting eagles, gulls, seals, sea lions, and humpback whales. Brown and black bears, wolves, wolverines, deer, moose, and mountain goats roam the lands surrounding Berners Bay.

The Bay is also culturally significant to the Auk Kwan Tlingit Tribe of Alaska Natives. Several ancient village sites are located around Berners Bay. The Auk Kwaan consider Lions Head Mountain sacred because it contains the spirits of their shamans.

It's difficult for me to understand how anyone could have such disregard for nature, and for all those who would consume the water. This is simply horrible. :(