• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

keep the sabbath?

Kimberlee

midians mommy!
does anyone on here keep the sabbath? go to church on the sabbath? if so how do you keep the sabbath holy? and do so many people not do it anymore. it never was done away with in the bible and was part of the ten comandments so why is it not important anymore? i'm going to church today. i believe me going to church on the sabbath is a way of keeping it holy, worshiping and resting on this day..... BTW shabbat shalom everyone!
Exodus 20:8
"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

Evee

Kind of a complicated question. According to strict Torah interpretation, I definitely don't, but I do try to reserve Friday night and Saturday as a time to study and reflect. I try not to handle money or do tedious day-to-day things. I wish I could go to a synagogue, but there isn't really one nearby. It's tough, too, because nobody else in my household has the slightest interest in keeping it. But I do try and I hope that once I move out officially, I'll be able to set up Shabbat observance for real.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Given the high unemployment figures we should work less so others may fill the gap. I vote for 3 sabbaths each week

Cheers

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Silly question I know, but what group are you asking for a same-faith debate? Christians or anyone who keeps the Sabbath? Even sillier question, which day do you actually mean as the Sabbath... Saturday, or Sunday?? (Your OP doesn't say)

Arlanbb

does anyone on here keep the sabbath? go to church on the sabbath? if so how do you keep the sabbath holy? and do so many people not do it anymore. it never was done away with in the bible and was part of the ten comandments so why is it not important anymore? i'm going to church today. i believe me going to church on the sabbath is a way of keeping it holy, worshiping and resting on this day..... BTW shabbat shalom everyone!
Exodus 20:8
"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
So you must be Jewish because that is who the Sabbath was given to ~ read about it in the Hebrew Bible.:cool::cool:

Kimberlee

midians mommy!
Silly question I know, but what group are you asking for a same-faith debate? Christians or anyone who keeps the Sabbath? Even sillier question, which day do you actually mean as the Sabbath... Saturday, or Sunday?? (Your OP doesn't say)

anyone that keeps the sabbath. oh and the seventh day saturday..... i'm a christian and believe in keeping the sabbath. it was established in the beginning that the seventh day was ment for rest so i think it applies to everyone.

Genesis 2:3
And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Arlanbb

anyone that keeps the sabbath. oh and the seventh day saturday..... i'm a christian and believe in keeping the sabbath. it was established in the beginning that the seventh day was ment for rest so i think it applies to everyone.

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
The stories in Genesus about the 6 days creation and Adam and Eve never happened in the last 10,000 years. Bipeds have been roming earth for millions of years long before God's so called 6 day creation.
So the socalled six days of creation/Adam/Eve/Original Sin/Sabbath stories are nothing but junk that the Jewish scribs wove into their mythical story telling.:D:):yes:

RomCat

For Catholics all unnecessary servile work
is forbidden on the Sabbath.
Servile work is that which requires labor of
the body instead of the mind.
Servile work is allowed on Sunday when the
honor of God, our own need or that of our
neighbor requires it.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

Why have you chosen Saturday as your sabbath?

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Since the days of Genesis are not literal days and could in fact represent millions of years each, should we take a million years off for the next sabbath?

Cheers

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
No I don't, I believe that the New Testament makes the Old Testament obsolete, and we are never required to keep the Sabbath in the NT. Jesus himself did not keep the Sabbath in the NT.

Evee

We keep the Sabbath on Satuday because Jews have been counting the days of the week for as long as anyone can remember. [Side note: in ancient Jewish tradition, days don't even have names. Ancient Jews just called them Days 1 through 6 and Shabbat.] For those of us who believe in the Five Books of Moses, that means since the week was invented. Even if we don't believe the days of Genesis aren't literal, they were written down as "days" for a reason. G-d is telling us that 1 out of every 7 days should be used for rest. That's why the Creation, however long it took in "modern days" is written as being finished in 6.

Also, I really didn't expect to have to read how my beliefs are "junk" found in the "bile" in a "Same Faith debate." If you don't keep the Sabbath, or you're not part of a religion that does, at the very least keep your posts respectful, please.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
We keep the Sabbath on Satuday because Jews have been counting the days of the week for as long as anyone can remember. [Side note: in ancient Jewish tradition, days don't even have names. Ancient Jews just called them Days 1 through 6 and Shabbat.] For those of us who believe in the Five Books of Moses, that means since the week was invented. Even if we don't believe the days of Genesis aren't literal, they were written down as "days" for a reason. G-d is telling us that 1 out of every 7 days should be used for rest. That's why the Creation, however long it took in "modern days" is written as being finished in 6.
That is nice, but it does not answer why Saturday instead of say, Tuesday, or even Friday.

Evee

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Let me add that since Jews have been counting for as long as anyone can remember, during our Exile, when people started to name the days of the week, we kept going (as Jews are wont to do) by counting with both the new names and the old number system, so as not to lose track of Shabbat. We're pretty comfortable that the day we currently call Saturday is indeed the Shabbat Jews have been keeping for some 3000 years.

Kimberlee

midians mommy!
That is nice, but it does not answer why Saturday instead of say, Tuesday, or even Friday.

because God just said the seventh day and tuesday is not the seventh day saturday is. look at the calender. he didnt call it saturday because we gave the name saturday not God. but we gave that name to the seventh day and the seventh day is suppose to be kept holy. i'm not looking for debate was just wanting discusion among fellow sabbath keepers about what they think about it and how they keep it and why most people have fallen away from it which i think is largly because the catholics admit to changing the day of worship from saturday to sunday.
The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, 1951 printing, page 50.

Evee

No I don't, I believe that the New Testament makes the Old Testament obsolete, and we are never required to keep the Sabbath in the NT. Jesus himself did not keep the Sabbath in the NT.

But didn't Jesus also say that that he, as the "Son of Man was Lord of the Sabbath"? (Mat. 12:8, but the story is also in Mark and Luke). Is that a reason for others not to keep it, too? [Forget for the time being that Jesus presents a view of the Sabbath that not many people actually accept.]

--
My NT quotations are taken from the NIV, which I access at biblegateway.com

Kimberlee

midians mommy!
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. Let me add that since Jews have been counting for as long as anyone can remember, during our Exile, when people started to name the days of the week, we kept going (as Jews are wont to do) by counting with both the new names and the old number system, so as not to lose track of Shabbat. We're pretty comfortable that the day we currently call Saturday is indeed the Shabbat Jews have been keeping for some 3000 years.

i'm comfortable with it too. ummm so do you think the sabbath was just for the jews? that's probably a stupid question just wondering cause even though i'm a christian i've been convicted to keep the sabbath. i'm fixen to study the feast days too because i haven't gotten into that yet but i'm lookin forward to studing it. i think as far as denominations in christianity, i relate closely to the united church of God the most. you can look it up and see what i'm talkin about if you havent heard of it.

Kimberlee

midians mommy!
But didn't Jesus also say that that he, as the "Son of Man was Lord of the Sabbath"? (Mat. 12:8, but the story is also in Mark and Luke). Is that a reason for others not to keep it, too? [Forget for the time being that Jesus presents a view of the Sabbath that not many people actually accept.]

--
My NT quotations are taken from the NIV, which I access at biblegateway.com

yes jesus kept the sabbath.... the NT talks of the sabbath a lot.

Mark 1:21
[ Jesus Drives Out an Evil Spirit ] They went to Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach.

so here he apparently went to the synagogue on the sabbath so i imagine he kept it.

Evee

I haven't heard of it *blushes* but I will definitely look it up. (I got ZERO religious education as a kid and am trying to make up for it now.)

I don't think it's necessary for non-Jews to keep Shabbat if they don't want to or if it interferes with their ability to earn a living etc., but I think it's great that people do. I think the more mitzvahs we do, the better world we create and if you (or other people) like keeping Shabbat and like the way it brings you closer to G-d, then more power to you.

Curious:
Which of the laws in the Five Books of Moses do you think still apply? How can you tell?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
The first day of the week in ancient (and present day Egypt) is Saturday. In Latin texts Saturday was Saturn Day, the planet Saturn was called Sabeth. Saturday in ancient Egypt is Sabt which means Sirius, the Dog Star.

We hold dear the true Sabbath.