• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Katrina article

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Looks like an especially odius distortion of events by someone with a political and ideological ax to grind.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I happen to agree whole heartedly with this...

Of course, if these two were really serious about laying blame on government, they should blame the local one. Responsibility to perform – legally and practically – fell first on the mayor of New Orleans. We are now all familiar with Mayor Ray Nagin – the black Democrat who likes to yell at President Bush for failing to do Nagin's job. The facts, unfortunately, do not support Nagin's wailing. As the Washington Times puts it, "recent reports show [Nagin] failed to follow through on his own city's emergency-response plan, which acknowledged that thousands of the city's poorest residents would have no way to evacuate the city."

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Wow! I'm stunned that someone would have the courage to speak the truth. If someone of any other race had penned those words, he would have been written off as a bigot or a racist without anyone considering if they were true or not.:mad: I think it's a real shame when people reject the truth because it isn't politically correct enough and/or consistant with what they already know to be true.

Karl R

it was primarily immoral, welfare-pampered blacks that stayed behind and waited for the government to bail them out.
I think Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson is blinded by his wealth.

Several weeks after Katrina destroyed New Orleans, I found myself in the same predicament those people faced. I live in Houston, and a category 5 hurricane (Rita) was headed my direction.

I'm white. I work for a living. But I have one factor in common with the impovrished of New Orleans ... I don't own a car.

If you don't own a car, how do you evacuate from the path of a hurricane? Do you walk? How far do you think you can walk in a day if you're carrying enough supplies to survive? How far do you think you can walk in a day if you have small children?

I don't live in a mandatory evacuation zone. I'm not a priority to evacuate. So I got enough supplies to survive for 5 days and prepared to wait the storm out.

The rich and the poor are different. The rich have more money. And money will buy you a lot of options.

Ciscokid

Karl R said:
I think Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson is blinded by his wealth.

Several weeks after Katrina destroyed New Orleans, I found myself in the same predicament those people faced. I live in Houston, and a category 5 hurricane (Rita) was headed my direction.

I'm white. I work for a living. But I have one factor in common with the impovrished of New Orleans ... I don't own a car.

If you don't own a car, how do you evacuate from the path of a hurricane? Do you walk? How far do you think you can walk in a day if you're carrying enough supplies to survive? How far do you think you can walk in a day if you have small children?

I don't live in a mandatory evacuation zone. I'm not a priority to evacuate. So I got enough supplies to survive for 5 days and prepared to wait the storm out.

The rich and the poor are different. The rich have more money. And money will buy you a lot of options.

While what you are saying may be true...I whole heartedly disagree with people like Hillary Clinton who suggest that the Fed Government failed the people of NO. Then you see people holding signs saying "where is my government".

Since when is it the Federal Governments job babysit everyone and fix all our problems?? [Note, I'm not suggesting that you Karl are stating these things I'm just venting ;)]

I think liberals have used the Katrina disaster to make Bush and the Gov. look bad. Bush makes himself appear goofy whenever he does a public speech but we don't need people like Hillary encouraging black people to think that they've been wronged by the Fed Gov.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I think it's pathetic the way the government handled it. We can ship billions overseas, but can't help our own people. :mad: As far a Jackson goes, he's out for himself. He could in reality care less. The only good part is sometimes the end justifies the means.

Ciscokid

looter11.jpg

Karl R

The great failure of New Orleans was a failure of the imagination on the part of all parties. Nobody planned for a scenario that was as bad as the reality. When your worst-case scenarios are milder than the real event, you're going to have problems.

Every level of government blew it (city, state, local). Now the politicians are all desperately playing the blame game to ensure that they catch as little of the political fallout as possible. I'd prefer it if they'd all forget placing blame and do something about fixing this problem and preventing the next one, but politicians ensure their own political survival above everything else.

Ciscokid said:
Since when is it the Federal Governments job babysit everyone and fix all our problems??
The federal government volunteered for the job when they created FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) with our tax dollars. I'd say that Katrina fits the classification of a federal emergency.

Ciscokid said:
I think liberals have used the Katrina disaster to make Bush and the Gov. look bad.
Last hurricane season made every level of government look bad. (And Bush made himself look bad by staying on vacation during the crisis.) Weeks later when Rita was heading toward Houston, they couldn't manage to get gas out to the evacuation routes until after the evacuation was over (with tens of thousands of people stranded along the evacuation routes). The army and national guard have the equipment to do this. The local government doesn't.

Or do you feel that it was the evacuees fault that they ran out of gas? Houston ran out of gas two days before the evacuation began. One of my friends tried to evacuate his family. He headed out of town with 3/4 of a tank. He turned around and came back when he got down to 1/4 of a tank. He hadn't even gotten half way.

Regarding the picture of the looter
with the caption:
Because earning it is for suckas.
Did you actually look at what the man is carrying?

I can't be certain, but those bottles look like Perrier. Water. This matches the news reports that indicated most of the looting following the hurricane involved survivors getting food and water.

Ciscokid, you go three days without drinking anything and let me know whether you'd be willing to steal to get some water.

The compassion shown by Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson and EbaumsWorld for the people who suffered the worst is amazing.

Ciscokid

Karl R said:
*snip*

Regarding the picture of the looter
with the caption:

Did you actually look at what the man is carrying?

I can't be certain, but those bottles look like Perrier. Water. This matches the news reports that indicated most of the looting following the hurricane involved survivors getting food and water.

Ciscokid, you go three days without drinking anything and let me know whether you'd be willing to steal to get some water.

The compassion shown by Reverend Jesse Lee Peterson and EbaumsWorld for the people who suffered the worst is amazing.

Dude please, you are conveniently forgetting all the footage of people stealing non essentials at a Walmart. They even showed people stealing electronics.

BTW, it's not water, it was Heineken.