• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jyotish

Devotee

Vaisnava
Hello and Hare Krsna!

I was wondering if anyone here has an interest in Jyotish (Vedic Astrology)? Im not asking for experts, just anyone who has an interest, however large or small.

The reason why I ask is because I am collecting info about the various incarnations of the Lord and their Janma Nakshatras (Birth star). So far I know both Krsna and Rama had their moon exhalted in Rohini, which is in Taurus. Sri Krsna Caitanya Mahaprabhu was appeared under Purva Phalguni, in Leo. And Hanuman was born in Purvabhadrapada, occuring within both Aquarius and Pisces (This is my Nakshatra too! And Paramahamsa Ramakrishnas! :angel2:)

So if anyone else has any info on other Nakshatras of various famous sages, sadhus, saints, etc. please post! The main one I am searching for now is Prabhu Nityananda's, so if anyone knows, please post!!! I would even like to see the Nakshatras of people from various traditions, like Ramana Maharshi, Paramahamsa Yogananda, etc.

(edit)- Lord Rama's Birth Star is actually Punarvasu, within the realm of Cancer.

Last edited:

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I have a few books on it, but it's complicated (well I think so) compared to western astrology. In Jyotish, I am a Gemini, but in western astrology, I am a Cancer.

Devotee

Vaisnava
I have a few books on it, but it's complicated (well I think so) compared to western astrology. In Jyotish, I am a Gemini, but in western astrology, I am a Cancer.

Yeah, I have been studying Jyotish for a year and it is sooooo much for difficult than western astrology. I love sidereal though. But when I heard of Nakshatras, Navamsa chart, Rahu and Ketu, etc. I was overwhelmed, but overtime i learned to understand it (slightly). And in Jyotish I am Aquarius moon sign, but in western I am Pisces.

But instead of looking at Jyotish as a way of describing personalities and such, which is so popular here in the west, I look at it as a cosmic map of my Karma. Some people use it as a form of destiny, pre-destination, etc. but I think the Lord can change anything whenever He wants, however bad one's chart looks.

Devotee

Vaisnava
Rāma's Chandra is in Cancer, I thought:(:confused:

Nope, his moon is exhalted in Taurus and his sun is exhalted in Aries. He has something like 5 planets exhalted.

Exhalted means that a planet is at is strongest, debilitated means the planet it weak.

(edit)- Actually, Kalicharan, I had my info wrong. My mistake!!! Lord Rama's Janma Nakshatra was Punarvasu, within Cancer!

Nope, his moon is exhalted in Taurus and his sun is exhalted in Aries. He has something like 5 planets exhalted.

Exhalted means that a planet is at is strongest, debilitated means the planet it weak.

(edit)- Actually, Kalicharan, I had my info wrong. My mistake!!! Lord Rama's Janma Nakshatra was Punarvasu, within Cancer!
No problemo.
OK. Kindly tell us what are your observations about Vedic Astrology, what have you learnt, your overall picture, etc.

I just have a passing interest so will be willing to learn from a learner:yes:

Devotee

Vaisnava
No problemo.
OK. Kindly tell us what are your observations about Vedic Astrology, what have you learnt, your overall picture, etc.

I just have a passing interest so will be willing to learn from a learner:yes:

Sure!

I learned alot about the precision of the equinoxes, or Ayanamsa. It was confusing at first, but of utmost importance. I actually use Raman Ayanamsa instead of Lahiri.

Rahu and Ketu where interesting and actually, where they are positioned in the chart, started making alot of sense as time went by. My Rahu is in Sag and Ketu in Gemini. Rahu gives in a way that can cause suffering, Ketu takes in a way that causes suffering. Both are respectively exalted in Taurus and Scorpio.

Exalted and Debilitated planets: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!! Exalted and debilitated planets are only signs of STRENGTH. An exhalted planet can be good or bad, same with a debilitated planet. Its only a sign of how strong the planet is in your chart, rather then how good or bad it is. An exalted planet that is aspected badly in a chart, can reak way more havoc then having that same planet debilitated without a bad aspect.

Nakshatras, well, they are perfect. More detail oriented of a birth chart. It explains why two Leos can act different from eachother, and why two Sag's can act different. Now, how people act is more than their sun sign, but nakshatras show the diferences within the signs and the houses.

Navamsa chart is great too. Not too sure if i am correct, but i look at it as the power behind your birth chart. For instance, my Rahu is in Sagittarius, but it is exalted in Taurus in my Navamsa, which shows that whatever Sagittarius in Rahu brings me, the shakti of Taurus and exaltation will help greatly to get me through it.

Thank you for the recap!
Let us chit chat. I think Rahu is not what it is made out to be.
If we notice, three "planets" are not planets at all: Sūrya, Rāhu, and Ketu. These are "nodes".
So it leaves 9 minus 3 planets = 6 planets as the real Grahās.

Why, we can make comparison with the first 6 Avatāras of VishnuJi with these 6 Grahās which are nothing but the "material reminder & influence" of the aspects of the said Avatāras.

Any comments?

Devotee

Vaisnava
Thank you for the recap!
Let us chit chat. I think Rahu is not what it is made out to be.
Indeed, I also disagree with what most people say about Rahu AND Ketu. They are seen as 100% melefic, but Ketu is a planet that can be very important to giving Moksha. Now, ones own actions are what gives one Moksha, but Ketu can help. I look at Ketu as a helper of attaining Liberation. And Rahu simply balances what Ketu is taking and gives the opposite. For instance, My Ketu is in Gemini. This means that I will lose faith or begin to doubt that the human intellect can find the truth. My Rahu is in Sagittarius, which will balance my Ketu problems by giving me many philosophical and spiritual paths in life. And if ones Ketu is in Scorpio, it makes one doubt that sensual pleasures give happiness, while Rahu then being in Taurus gives on comfort and grounding through it all. And this is soooooo true! Summer of 2012 I began to doubt that we as humans can know anything about existence. And that happened right before I got into Vedic Astrology. Shortly after, I began to understand that if we want to know the truth, it must come deductively from the truth itself and reveal itself to us, so that our human intellect doesnt skew it or project upon it.

If we notice, three "planets" are not planets at all: Sūrya, Rāhu, and Ketu. These are "nodes".
Even though you may view these as nodes, they still have as much power as the other Grahas. I look at Rahu, Ketu, and Surya the same way I would Saturn and Jupiter.

So it leaves 9 minus 3 planets = 6 planets as the real Grahās.

Why, we can make comparison with the first 6 Avatāras of VishnuJi with these 6 Grahās which are nothing but the "material reminder & influence" of the aspects of the said Avatāras.

Any comments?

I can see your logic. But I would still, personally, consider Rahu and Ketu, Surya, as Grahas, at least in an Astrological sense. They still have an effect like any other planet would on our Birth Charts. And with you saying the "6" Grahas are nothing but material reminder and influence, I agree with this but with all 9 Grahas. A persons Astrological Chart simply shows what will be influencing their material life. Ketu, though seen as a helper of attaining Moksha, still does its work by taking away Material things from us. Thus Astrology is simply a material science which helps us understand the influence Maya COULD have over our life.

Also, do you have any thoughts on Ayanamsas? if you do, do you prefer one over the other?

I never said anything about "status" of nodes over Graha. OK, let us leave that. Regarding Ayanamsa actually I was going to ask you what are your observations.
For example, if the chart is sidereal, what is the need of Ayanamsa, if all it takes is to look up at the sky and map the planets as seen in the background? Or, may be, is it because this is not possible practically, simple as it may sound?

dhanyavād

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Swathi: Avatara nakshatra of Sri Narasimhar (the man Lion god).

Ardra: Srimad Ramanuja's (Vishishtadvaita proponent) avatara nakshatra.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Hello and Hare Krsna!

I was wondering if anyone here has an interest in Jyotish (Vedic Astrology)?
I am very much interested in Astrology. Earlier I tried to learn to read vedic Kundali but failed than I started studying Palmistry but again I wasn't able to complete and now I am starting it again. :facepalm:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I have tremendous interest in astrology to the point of wanting to learn it. But my husband totally hates Jyotish, he is of the opinion that those who read other peoples' horoscopes will not do well in life. He also cites as an example one of his friends who was a palmist who did not do well in life. So due to this reason, I am unable to learn this shastra.

KrsnaDasa

Done posting here
I got into Jyotish for a while but the countless debates and arguments over the exaltation of Rahu and Ketu, where the Ayanamsa is, whether the tropical chart can be used for rasis an the sidereal only for Nakshatras, etc. began to annoy me. I came to the conclusion that, because of this unfortunate age we are in, knowledge of astrology is imperfect and seemingly becoming more confusing. BV Raman himself said that the debate over ayanamsas "is it's own kind of he**"

Above all rely on God, BG 18.66 shows that once we surrender He will change our destiny.

I got into Jyotish for a while but the countless debates and arguments over the exaltation of Rahu and Ketu, where the Ayanamsa is, whether the tropical chart can be used for rasis an the sidereal only for Nakshatras, etc. began to annoy me.
..And made the OP run away, too:D
I came to the conclusion that, because of this unfortunate age we are in, knowledge of astrology is imperfect and seemingly becoming more confusing.
This is TRUE. Thanks for saying it, though:eek:
BV Raman himself said that the debate over ayanamsas "is it's own kind of he**"
he** = **LL ?:(

Above all rely on God, BG 18.66 shows that once we surrender He will change our destiny.
:yes:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I got into Jyotish for a while but the countless debates and arguments over the exaltation of Rahu and Ketu, where the Ayanamsa is, whether the tropical chart can be used for rasis an the sidereal only for Nakshatras, etc. began to annoy me. I came to the conclusion that, because of this unfortunate age we are in, knowledge of astrology is imperfect and seemingly becoming more confusing. BV Raman himself said that the debate over ayanamsas "is it's own kind of he**"

Jyotish can also be a very addictive science. It has the potential to take up/mould your entire thinking and thus decision making on the basis of your understanding of astrological signatures in your chart. For example, based on some ill-luck on my career front (which I observed over a 10 yr period), I concluded after taking numerous astrological councel that it is due to some bad planetary placements in my horoscope, and I have thus given up my career.

Imagine those undergoing matrimonial problems, etc... if an astrologer says something wrong about the spouse's chart, one with staunch belief in Jyotish is doomed.. that is why, maybe what my husband feels about astrology is correct... since Jyotishis carry tremendous amount of karma by reading and giving advice to others... it better be right or else!

OK. Let us discuss fundamental questions about Astrology. The main points could be:

1) Hmm..It is Arts department, not Science:eek:

2) Has got something to do with NavaGrahāh.

3) time is related to gravity; because of gravity Earth moves around Sun, and one revolution becomes what we normally know as a "year". So, the "harmonics" of Earth vis-a-vis Sun makes it happen. Similarly there are other harmonics (due to other near planets), that is, other "time(s)". I mean, there are a lot many of "clocks" ticking at the same time.

4) an alternative view is: space is the Murthy of Mother. So when a child is being born into it, the exact configuration of space, matters. In a way, Mother decides. Obviously, then, Astrology isn't arguing that it can thus determine ALL about the baby/ person in question.

5) regarding Ayanamsa:
NavaGrahās are charted against the background of the "space". So, space is the "mother" and the NavaGrahās is the "child". And BOTH need starting points (like, you and I "start" at heads and "end" at feet:cool:). Ayanamsa is exactly that: it tells us about the "starting point" of space (nakshatra/ rashis start and end). The Grahās, on the other hand, are started via Chandra (Moon) who fixes all the other planets in order.