• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July 4th - Independence Day

Melody

I'm a day early but not sure whether I'll be around tomorrow....

For the Americans on the forum....when was the last time you read the "Declaration of Independence"?

If you haven't in awhile, do yourself a favor and refresh your memory. How many other countries start their new country with an admonition to its citizens that they have a duty to throw off a government that has a long history of abuse (which it doesn't correct) and create something better?

We may gripe about our government and our political leaders and our country is not perfect....but our form of government has stood an amazing test of time. It is a testimony to our form of government that while the political pendulum has swung both left and right, the system has not broken down and actually works.

I tend to be a bit cynical about the motives of our political leaders and have little faith in our justice system *but* recognize that the foundation is solid enough to withstand the self-serving agendas of those who hold the power....as long as its citizens uphold their duty as citizens and that includes speaking out for the rights of others.

I am an American patriot and proud to be an American...even if I do believe our current leadership is an embarrassment and am looking forward to the next election.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Well, it's already the 4th here.

So happy 4th of July Amerikansi ;)

We don't hold your Capitalism against you, and remember to always use fireworks safely!

sparc872

Happy 4th to you too!

We may gripe about our government and our political leaders and our country is not perfect....but our form of government has stood an amazing test of time. It is a testimony to our form of government that while the political pendulum has swung both left and right, the system has not broken down and actually works.

Sorry, but I had to catch this. Our country's govermental system is really not all that old. While we haven't had any political uprisings or overthrows, the monarchial system far out lasted our form of government. I think that we still have a lot of refining left to do on our system and in order to still celebrate our independence, I think it is something we, as a country, must always strive for.