• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judgement

Sonic247

I was just reading in the Bible where it says something like "with the merciful God will show himself merciful, with the righteous God will show himself righteous but with the froward God will show himself unsavoury"
And also what I think is one of the greatest promises "if you forgive men their tresspasses then your heavenly father will also forgive yours" and vise versa. It made me think about all the rude people I meet at my job, maybe I don't deserve what they do to me, but God's forgiven the way I treated him so I should want to forgive them also. But sometimes I think that when people accuse God and others of all kinds of things that it is the same thing that they themselves do. The Bible says when you judge another you condemn yourself if you do the same things, because your judging based on the actions or thoughts of another and you have the same thoughts and actions.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
And also what I think is one of the greatest promises "if you forgive men their tresspasses then your heavenly father will also forgive yours" and vise versa. It made me think about all the rude people I meet at my job, maybe I don't deserve what they do to me, but God's forgiven the way I treated him so I should want to forgive them also. But sometimes I think that when people accuse God and others of all kinds of things that it is the same thing that they themselves do. The Bible says when you judge another you condemn yourself if you do the same things, because your judging based on the actions or thoughts of another and you have the same thoughts and actions.

You are quite right, of course, but I think that The Lord's prayer goes deeper than that...... "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those that trespass against us".I always understood that to mean what you said above, but I think it goes further than that..

I believe (and I am sure I checked this out with the other Christians here), that it mneans that God will forgive us in the same way that we forgive others - which goes deeper.

The one big regret I have is my naiveté and lack of understanding when I was younger; I can only hope that I shall be judged more fairly than I judged others when I was younger, and didn't know any better. How sad that some of us must go through ignorance before learning how to behave.........:(

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The one big regret I have is my naiveté and lack of understanding when I was younger; I can only hope that I shall be judged more fairly than I judged others when I was younger, and didn't know any better. How sad that some of us must go through ignorance before learning how to behave.........:( __________________

Michel, God forgives you of your past transgressions! As long as you are repentant of them. It sounds as though you are, so I would not worry. If you see some of the people that you used to be rude to, then if it makes you feel better you can apologize to them, as well. God is merciful, as long as you are sorry and change your ways, He will forgive you.

kmkemp

I think the "forgive to the extent that you forgive others" doctrine refers to your heavenly rewards and not your entrance...

Yes, you are forgiven your sins, but you are still judged (in a good way) according to your acts.

Chevalier Violet

I think I would go a step beyond the Bible on this one. In my personal experience, some part of me really dislikes it when I judge others in any way. It is far too easy to set up we vs. they scenarios in my mind, and I am constantly under the impression that these are pillars of arrogance.

In fact, any feeling of there being a fundamental difference between you and I, or I and anyone else seems dangerous to me. So my general feeling is that any statement of being better than another person is fundamentally false. Even if we can find facts that make us different, it is far from evident that these make us better or worse than one another in any way. There is even quite a bit of disagreement if much (I didn't say all) the apparent disparity in intelligence between people is due to cognitive ability or background knowledge or experience, broadly defined.

I am suspicious of judgment, and this may apply only to me, because I fear its effects and I don't see its benefits. Whether people around me are good or bad, I still need to live my life in accordance with my heart. It happens all the time that things that I wouldn't do feel right to another person, like bunjee jumping. So what do I gain from judgment? All I have to lose is a proper understanding of myself and other people. I see so little to gain, but perhaps I am missing something.

CV

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
When you forgive others of things they do against you, you are helping yourself and not just the person you are forgiving. Holding a grudge can be poison to a person's mind (I know this by experience, unfortunately). When someone does not forgive another, he is hurting himself and not just the person he does not forgive.
If you judge others, you are judging yourself at the same time. It goes to what Jesus said to Simon (Peter), "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword". :)

Super Universe

Defender of God
We have to judge others. We have to protect ourselves and our family. If you let your children go with a strange man who knocked at your door and something bad happened everyone would say that you were a fool.

If you lend money to an old friend who lies and has never been responsible in his entire life and this friend does not repay it, everyone would say again that you are a fool.

What we don't realize is that each of us would be Scott Peterson if we were born with his personality and raised exactly as he. I look upon him as an animal. A being that is incredibly selfish and bases it's decisions on instinctual wants, with no moral controls. I don't hate him. He is what he is because he has no other choice.

Judging others on the earth is necessary for survival but forgiving them in the afterlife is necessary for ascendence.

Sonic247

That's true you have to protect your family, but I'm just talking about a situation were you look down on someone for something they do that you yourself do. Or if you are mean to someone for no reason or something like that.

Chevalier Violet

We have to judge others. We have to protect ourselves and our family. If you let your children go with a strange man who knocked at your door and something bad happened everyone would say that you were a fool.

If you lend money to an old friend who lies and has never been responsible in his entire life and this friend does not repay it, everyone would say again that you are a fool.

What we don't realize is that each of us would be Scott Peterson if we were born with his personality and raised exactly as he. I look upon him as an animal. A being that is incredibly selfish and bases it's decisions on instinctual wants, with no moral controls. I don't hate him. He is what he is because he has no other choice.

Judging others on the earth is necessary for survival but forgiving them in the afterlife is necessary for ascendence.

That's true you have to protect your family, but I'm just talking about a situation were you look down on someone for something they do that you yourself do. Or if you are mean to someone for no reason or something like that.

Exactly. Maybe you're talking about something different SU. I'm thinking of judgment in terms of thinking I'm better than someone else in some way or another. I agree with you and this is a good point that we must use our judgment to keep ourselves safe.

I would demonstrate how we are talking about two different things by saying that I can judge a man is unsafe without judging the man. I can protect my own safety without thinking I'm better than anyone else.

I think all this is probably stuff you already understand, it is just a matter of wording.

Humbly yours,
CV

Super Universe

Defender of God
I rarely, if ever, look down upon someone for doing something I have done unless they refuse to learn from it. It's something I am extremely aware of.

There are times I have pity towards others. It's not that I look down upon them but I feel regret because they are missing out on a chance to evolve into a higher form of being which is the purpose of our existence here. Do you know what happens to someone who does not learn from their mistakes? They relive them again, and again, and again, like a child stuck forever in first grade.

No one is mean for no reason. The anger towards someone may not be justified, too often outbursts come from suppressed feelings that the person has not dealt with. I am also extremely aware of this and constantly ask myself each day what kind of mood I am in and trace back to determine the real origin of my current state of being.

Forgiveness in the material dimension is not something to be given lightly. Each person has their own standard, for me a person must prove that they have learned from their mistake and matured.

Chevalier Violet

I rarely, if ever, look down upon someone for doing something I have done unless they refuse to learn from it. It's something I am extremely aware of.

There are times I have pity towards others. It's not that I look down upon them but I feel regret because they are missing out on a chance to evolve into a higher form of being which is the purpose of our existence here. Do you know what happens to someone who does not learn from their mistakes? They relive them again, and again, and again, like a child stuck forever in first grade.

No one is mean for no reason. The anger towards someone may not be justified, too often outbursts come from suppressed feelings that the person has not dealt with. I am also extremely aware of this and constantly ask myself each day what kind of mood I am in and trace back to determine the real origin of my current state of being.

Forgiveness in the material dimension is not something to be given lightly. Each person has their own standard, for me a person must prove that they have learned from their mistake and matured.

I knew it was all in the wording ;)

I don't think we disagree about this judgment matter. We take a different approach to forgiveness. You say that a person deserves forgiveness when they learn or try to learn from their mistake. That seems reasonable to me.

I suppose my approach is that a person deserves forgiveness when they do their best to live life the best way possible. Because I believe this, I believe that all people at all times deserve forgiveness, because I believe we are all trying our best.

This is just another lens. I don't know whose approach is better. I'm confident you like yours as much as I like mine.

Humbly yours,
CV