• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism DIR: Cross-Posting Poll

How should the staff moderate cross-posting in the Judaism DIR?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Shalom/hello, all,

I'm posting the following OP, written by the RF staff, to survey the opinions of members of the Judaism DIR and inform future moderation policy regarding this DIR. Please choose the poll option that represents your opinion the most.

Recently, the subject of cross-posting within the sub-DIRs of the Judaism DIR has come to the staff's attention. While there are well-known key differences between the various Jewish movements, and particularly the three main ones (Orthodox, Conservative and Reform), members of the different movements will often feel a certain affinity to one another not necessarily found in other religions, because of the ethnic aspect of Judaism and the Jewish people. Some Jews also identify with and take active part in more than one movement, making moderation in such cases difficult. After some discussion, the staff have decided that there are two possible solutions to the issue:

1. Allow all members of the Judaism DIR to post in all sub-DIRs, respectful of that DIR's particular worldview.

2. Allow members of more than one movement to post in all sub-DIRs that they identify with. Members who identify with only one movement will only be able to post in their sub-DIR (as well as the main Judaism DIR).

We have decided to put the issue to vote before members of the DIR. You are also welcome to add your own suggestions.

The poll is public to ensure that only votes from Jewish members count toward the final decision.

Thank you.

rosends

can you clarify what "respectful of that DIR's particular worldview" would allow or forbid?

Flankerl

2. Allow members of more than one movement to post in all sub-DIRs that they identify with. Members who identify with only one movement will only be able to post in their sub-DIR (as well as the main Judaism DIR).
Does that actually exist in high enough numbers? Let alone here?
In reality Jews go to one synagogue that caters to one Ashkenazi denomination, except for the Mizrahim and that's it.

There aren't even that many Jews on RF to warrant all the sub-DIRs.
Ever since DIRs shifted from being open to questions from the outside one might even argue that all the separate sub-DIRs here have overstayed their time.

Might be a better idea to give each denomination a closed sticky that gives a short explanation of what it is.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Might be a better idea to give each denomination a closed sticky that gives a short explanation of what it is.

I think there already is a descriptive, closed sticky posted in each of the different Judaism DIRs. I'm not sure whether you mean something else?

I won't be taking part in this poll, as it came about when I requested permission in Site Feedback to post in both the Conservative and Orthodox DIRs. I happen to identify with both Conservative and Orthodox, and while my membership dues are with a Conservative synagogue, I also sometimes attend services at a neighboring Orthodox synagogue which is welcoming to all Jews. I also have friends and family who are members of both synagogues.

So basically, I am asking the Orthodox community here to accept me in your Orthodox DIR. It's not likely that I would be posting there a lot, but I kind of would have liked to join in on some of the interesting discussions I have seen there, like the one on mevushal wines. :)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I have inadvertently posted in the wrong subdirectory far too often. Doing so is an unforced error in that
  • I should recognize that those who create threads in one of the subdirectories are invoking an exclusivity that should be respected,
  • particularly given that I am free to post in the parent directory.
I vote Other. I would maintain the restrictions. while hoping that the subdirectories are employed with constraint.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I vote 2. Altough I imagine it will make moderation slightly more difficult. OTOH, there's not too many of us to keep track of.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
can you clarify what "respectful of that DIR's particular worldview" would allow or forbid?

Generally, no challenging of its beliefs or endorsing different views therein, an example of which would be, say, stating in a post in the Orthodox DIR that Jews don't need to observe kosher rules or Shabbat.

jbg

I voted Option 1. There are plenty of people who call themselves "Conservadox" or in the case of my shul "Reformative." Our temple could be called "Reformodox" since we do Taxhlich and other events with a nearby Modern Orthodox temple. To me, Haredim and Chasid aside (who considers my sect to be tref) we're all "Jewish."

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted Option 1. There are plenty of people who call themselves "Conservadox" or in the case of my shul "Reformative." Our temple could be called "Reformodox" since we do Taxhlich and other events with a nearby Modern Orthodox temple. To me, Haredim and Chasid aside (who considers my sect to be tref) we're all "Jewish."

I've been called "Conservadox," too. This year, in fact, I'll be attending High Holy Days services with friends at the Orthodox synagogue I've mentioned. Of course, I have to purchase tickets for this, as my membership is with the Conservative synagogue. But that's okay, as I am happy to support both synagogues (which are friendly neighbors of each other).

I know that I initially said that I wouldn't participate in this poll, but I've since changed my mind (a woman's prerogative, and all that). I'm casting my vote for Option 1. I think that I'm already respectful on these forums (as well as in offline life). If anybody finds me otherwise, please feel free to send me a private message and I promise that I will amend my ways.

jbg

I've been called "Conservadox," too. This year, in fact, I'll be attending High Holy Days services with friends at the Orthodox synagogue I've mentioned. Of course, I have to purchase tickets for this, as my membership is with the Conservative synagogue. But that's okay, as I am happy to support both synagogues (which are friendly neighbors of each other).

I know that I initially said that I wouldn't participate in this poll, but I've since changed my mind (a woman's prerogative, and all that). I'm casting my vote for Option 1. I think that I'm already respectful on these forums (as well as in offline life). If anybody finds me otherwise, please feel free to send me a private message and I promise that I will amend my ways.
But have you heard of "Reformodox" before?

Shaul

Premium Member
It has been said that the Second Temple was destroyed because of disunity and bickering among us Jews. It is hoped that we have learned from that terribly costly lesson. If we can't guard and correct ourselves RF rules won't do it either.

jbg

That's a חי-brid I'd not heard of before.

hybrid
Effectively we do it when we do Tashlich with a Modern Orthodox synagogue and when we have joint steak dinners and speakers with them.. Sorry, no Philly Cheese-steak or shrimp on the barbie.