• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journey to Truth

adi_149

God is One
Hi guys, I am new here and in search of truth. Truth supported by appropriate references and logical explanations. To tell you something about me... I am a Hindu presently because my parents follow Hinduism. Though my beliefs are not against Hinduism or that I find any errors in it, I am on a journey to find the true religion. It could be Hinduism, Islam, Christianity or any other religion for that matter. Hearing and seeing so many people claiming their religion to be the true one made me begin this journey. I am glad I came across this forum, I read few of the posts and feel awesome, the way you guys discuss things, in a polite and sophisticated manner is what i love the most. I am sure discussing about each of our experiences and what we think about religion is gonna help all of us find the truth.

One thing I believe is that we must not look at the people of different religion in order to judge or have an impression on that particular religion, rather go straight to the scriptures. And I am sure most of u believe the same and thats the reason you are here discussing about stuff and trying to know other scriptures better. Ok I won't make it any longer and invite everyone irrespective of whether you are Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Jew, Sikh or any other religion or even Atheist, to talk regarding your beliefs, your opinions on your and other religions, and especially people who would like to begin a journey with me towards the truth, true religion and God :bow:

adi_149

God is One
so does hinduism support the worship of many Gods? because many verses of the Vedas talk about ONE God and signifies that God is one. Any thoughts guys?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Some Hindus are polytheists, some are monotheist, some are pantheists, some are panentheists.

I've never really seen Hinduism as a single religion, but a body of religions united under the Vedas.

adi_149

God is One
I've never really seen Hinduism as a single religion, but a body of religions united under the Vedas.

good point there, but generally if u look at it, it is a single religion though ppl following it have different opinion and no one really knows their scriptures. I am slowly going through the scriptures and it is a lot different than what ppl understand abt it and the way they practice it. I really think its time we need to look into the religious scriptures than to hear it from priests and follow blindly. apart from this, what religion do u practice Riverwolf?

In regards to Hinduism, I do not believe that it has ever been one entity... although there is one Veda divided into four sections, there have been three religions that have existed in the region: Vaishavism, Shaivism, and Shaktism.

The term 'Hindu Dharma' never appeared once in the Shastras, and the word 'Hindu' was an invention by Persian Muslims as a socio-tribal term and further defined by British Christians to refer to the religions of the entire Indian subcontinent.

Personally, I have always felt that Vaishnavism is the original Dharma for India, but that's just my coloured lenses talking. :D

To me, there is only one God: The Absolute Truth.
There is only one Scripture: The Scriptures of the world
There is only one Prayer: the Prayer to God
There is only one work: the Cause of God (the Cause of Unity of humankind)

adi_149

God is One
In regards to Hinduism, I do not believe that it has ever been one entity... although there is one Veda divided into four sections, there have been three religions that have existed in the region: Vaishavism, Shaivism, and Shaktism.

I agree that Hindu is the term used by the ppl of the west to describe the people living beyond the river Indus. and hence the name. Before this, the hindus used to call themselves as the followers of Veda Dharma. Anyways, I am not sure as to what these three words mean that u mentioned >> Vaishavism, Shaivism, and Shaktism. It would be nice if you could just write a simple sentence just to explain what each is, if u dont mind :) thanks :)

I agree that Hindu is the term used by the ppl of the west to describe the people living beyond the river Indus. and hence the name. Before this, the hindus used to call themselves as the followers of Veda Dharma. Anyways, I am not sure as to what these three words mean that u mentioned >> Vaishavism, Shaivism, and Shaktism. It would be nice if you could just write a simple sentence just to explain what each is, if u dont mind :) thanks :)

Vaishnavism, or Vaishnava Dharma - worship of Vishnu as One God, monotheism, through bhakti, or loving God

Shaivism, or Shaiva Dharma - worship of Shiva as God, monism or pantheism, through tapas, or austerity

Shaktism, or Shakta Dharma - worship of the Goddess as Supreme, monism or pantheism, through tantra, or meditation of energy and power

Because I know and used to practice Vaishnava Dharma, and I know that it is monotheistic, I believe that Vaishnavism is the most authentically devotional strain of Hinduism I know... and when I was a Vaishnava, we considered it as the true Vedic religion. :eek:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
good point there, but generally if u look at it, it is a single religion though ppl following it have different opinion and no one really knows their scriptures. I am slowly going through the scriptures and it is a lot different than what ppl understand abt it and the way they practice it. I really think its time we need to look into the religious scriptures than to hear it from priests and follow blindly. apart from this, what religion do u practice Riverwolf?

I'm a Vedantist, novice Yogi, Ganesha/Shiva/Kali Bhakta. :D

Hindu priests don't teach the Scriptures; they perform the rituals. Sages (swamis, Rishis, Paramahamsas, etc.) are the ones who teach. Which translation of the Vedas are you reading? If it's Griffith's, understand that that translation, from what I've heard, isn't very good.

Besides, most of the Vedic hymns aren't books to be read; they're songs to be chanted. ;)