• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journal. First world problem: an abundance of material wealth

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Being an American, I am wealthy. Yes, there are poor Americans. I’m not one of them. I’m what other Americans call “lower class”. But I feel wealthy. I am wealthy, when compared to the various peoples of the world elsewhere. I type this post on my high tech iPad, reclining in a soft recliner, with a roof over my head and fridge stocked.
I got my tax return and bought an Xbox! What an immature decision! I live with my dad right now, but I’m using the rest of the cash to move out once again next week or so. Excited for that. I used to live on my own, and I had no WiFi or phone, all I had were my books. And that was when I was the happiest. When I removed myself from all of this excess that I find myself buried in once again: Internet, video games, YouTube, movies, all sorts of instant gratification.
It is a pitfall! I believe in a Devil I think. I think this Devil wants one thing: for us not to think! Not to use our brains, this is ideal for him. He can move in and take over the unused portions of the brain. So, all of us lucky enough to be a first world citizen, the Devil gives us all of this poison for our minds! Technology and the internet can be the most enlightening resource, but it can also be extremely detrimental to spiritual growth and learning. It is for me at least. Don’t even get me started on the food which is readily available that poisons our brain. It’s all a scheme of his you see?
Well anyways, I spend way too much time of RF. So much time spent here that I can spend reading. I learn a lot here, don’t get me wrong, but this shouldn’t be the only resource I’m using to learn. I’ve just been using RF, and other than that, I have not been growing myself. Depressed tbh but I’m getting myself out of this situation.
Gonna live in a little trailer and just have my books and no WiFi. I got a phone now, that I can’t get rid of cuz doctors and work, so I’m WORRIED. That phone will be my new pitfall, I can already see myself mindlessly scrolling on my phone at my little trailer instead of growing myself like I used to. I want to be happy again, I know how to do it. Material abundance is becoming the bane of my existence.
I just wanna be home, reading, praying, doing my rituals and tai chi. Just a man at peace.
Anywho I’ll probably get a couple more threads in before I disconnect, if I disconnect. I can RF off my phone but I don’t wanna be on my phone dang it! First world problem. No WiFi will help. Gotta sell my Xbox again for the third time too lol. Just BOOKS XAVIER OKAY NOTHING ELSE then you’ll be happy

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Ironically, my husband started playing a speech he gave years ago, back when we were quite poor. We're 'lower class, but feeling wealthy', too(probably because we came from a place where playing bills was extremely difficult, and insecure about where our food came from).

It reminded me of these same sentiments... we were happier when we were poorer, as things were simpler.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
A poem about stuff addiction:

Bull****

Good luck, Xavier. I hope you find what you need. But I also hope you'll pop in here from time to time

I consider RF an almost completely social thing (it's not like we're ever really going to figure out any of this stuff or solve any of the world's problems. :D ) and there's nothing wrong with wanting to connect with people.