• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joseph Smith Was Not A Martyr

ljam49

Account closed by request
Why do the LDS claim that Joseph Smith is a Martyr? Joseph Smith had a gun in the Carthage Jail as it all started and unloaded 6 shots out of his gun, of which 2-3 people were hit by his shots. A martyr is one that willingly and without any resistance gives their lives for what they believe in. Joseph Smith does not show by his actions to be a martyr.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Why do the LDS claim that Joseph Smith is a Martyr? Joseph Smith had a gun in the Carthage Jail as it all started and unloaded 6 shots out of his gun, of which 2-3 people were hit by his shots. A martyr is one that willingly and without any resistance gives their lives for what they believe in. Joseph Smith does not show by his actions to be a martyr.
You may wish to look where you are posting.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You may wish to look where you are posting.
He asked a question:
Why do the LDS claim that Joseph Smith is a Martyr?

Or are you under the mistaken impression that no one other than LDS are allowed to ever post in this sanctuary?

no-body

I thought you where supposed to be non confrontational in the specific forums? Would be better suited for debate. Too bad, because I find this topic interesting.

McBell

I thought you where supposed to be non confrontational in the specific forums?
Guess it depends upon how badly one is wanting to be offended ...

I do not find the OP confrontational, but I can guarantee that a few certain LDS most definitely will.

arjay

I don't think it's such an odd reaction after witnessing your brother murdered right in front of you. I also don't think he expected to avoid death and send a mob of 200 armed men running by taking such actions. So in my eyes, he is a martyr. He never renounced his religion and voluntarily went to jail knowing he would face the injustice of being murdered for his beliefs.

Last edited:

ljam49

I agree.
I also highly recommend that the thread be restarted or moved outside of the sanctuary.

I am new on the board. How would I go about moving this thread. If you don't mind me asking for the help.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
*** Staff Advisory ***

This thread has been moved to General Religious Debates. DIR restrictions no longer apply to this thread.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I thought you where supposed to be non confrontational in the specific forums?
You are not supposed to be. Questions such as this generally end up being so. But some people are always looking for a fight.

Would be better suited for debate. Too bad, because I find this topic interesting.
Now you can debate it.

ljam49

You are not supposed to be. Questions such as this generally end up being so. But some people are always looking for a fight.

Now you can debate it.

Not looking for a fight, but an answer. Joseph Smith is heralded as being a martyr, but a martyr is one who suffers or dies for their beliefs without fighting against those coming against them. Joseph Smith took a pistol and fought back. How does this classify him as a martyr?

Watchmen

Premium Member
Not looking for a fight, but an answer. Joseph Smith is heralded as being a martyr, but a martyr is one who suffers or dies for their beliefs without fighting against those coming against them. Joseph Smith took a pistol and fought back. How does this classify him as a martyr?

Please see my post above. Yours is not the only definition of "martyr." Yourdictionary.com provides a definition that's in complete harmony with the LDS claim that Joseph Smith was a martyr.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
please see watchmen's post on the definition of martyr

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
The looking for a fight comment was not directed towards you.

SoyLeche

meh...
Unless you are suggesting that Joseph Smith wouldn't have been killed by the mob if he hadn't used the pistol I don't really see what your point is. The mob didn't kill him in retaliation - that's what they were there for.

ljam49

Please see my post above. Yours is not the only definition of "martyr." Yourdictionary.com provides a definition that's in complete harmony with the LDS claim that Joseph Smith was a martyr.

Read Foxes Book of The Martyrs. There is not one person in the whole book that fought back when dying for their belief in God. Guess I will have to take it that mormon martyrs are different martyrs than Christian martyrs.

ljam49

please see watchmen's post on the definition of martyr

When confronted with the soldiers in the Garden and Peter pulled his sword out and struck Malchus's ear off, Jesus had him put his sword away and Jesus submitted to them without resistance.

McBell

Read Foxes Book of The Martyrs. There is not one person in the whole book that fought back when dying for their belief in God. Guess I will have to take it that mormon martyrs are different martyrs than Christian martyrs.
that's it?
That is the best argument you can bring forth to support your allegation that Joseph Smith is not a martyr?

Wow.
Talk about a complete disappoint....