• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Paul II may be declared a martyr

Sandlapper

fragmentsofdreams said:
I hope the Church resists the pressure to rush things. What is a few years or even decades to a two millenia old institution?

I can see both sides of this. The Church needs a Clarion call today, much like the declaration of the Assumption was in 1950. (Or at least intended to be.). We need something to "really the troops", so to say.

But I hope they wait. I really do wonder how JPII will be remembered 200 years from now. Will he be just remembered as a holy man who was Pope? Or will he go down with Clement I, Gregory I, Leo I? Who knows. But there's no harm in a long canonization process (Someone ask St. Juan Diego on that one :D )

PHOTOTAKER

i thank he did a great job with alot of things, i hope that he gets the honer that he deserves...

but how can anyone thank that he was a martyr?

Martyr:
1. a person who willingly suffers death rather than renounce his or her religion.
2. a person who is put to death or endures great suffering on behalf of any belief, principle, or cause: a martyr to the cause of social justice.
3. a person who undergoes severe or constant suffering: a martyr to severe headaches.
4. a person who seeks sympathy or attention by feigning or exaggerating pain, deprivation, etc.
–verb (used with object)
5. to make a martyr of, esp. by putting to death.
6. to torment or torture.