• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jogging made illegal

klubbhead024

Watching the local news today I found out that in Farmington Hills Michigan, it is now illegal to jog in a public park. According to the city council it is to much of a disruption to nature. Is this really what America is coming to?

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
klubbhead024 said:
Watching the local news today I found out that in Farmington Hills Michigan, it is now illegal to jog in a public park. According to the city council it is to much of a disruption to nature. Is this really what America is coming to?

Another big fat LOL from me today, I can see how that will help global warming lol.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
klubbhead024 said:

:cover: ..maybe Joggers will frighten the squirrells during their mating season; heavy footsteps might intimidate the male...........

RevOxley_501

klubbhead024 said:

cant help but wonder, is it legal to drive to the park or drive past it in an SUV???

A

angellous_evangellous

klubbhead024 said:

Now that's funny!

I have a friend in Farmington Hills that deserves a phone call about this.... :D

Booko

Deviled Hen
klubbhead024 said:

*tries desparately to figure out where there are any parks in Farmington Hills, Michigan*

Farmington Hills has parks???

My in-laws lived there and my brother-in-law teaches at the HS.

I can't think of a single park there, and I've been around that area for years. Hm, no there may have been one off Farmington Road below 12 mile, but in that area it would be hard to tell a park from a golf course.

I'll have to have my husband give his bro a call and find out about this. I'm sure it'll give them a chuckle.

More likely the snooty neighbors didn't like people running near their houses in the morning. It might disrupt their view. :rolleyes:

Have you checked the Detroit Free Press website? If they got hold of this story, I'm sure they'd have some fun with it.

A

angellous_evangellous

Booko said:
More likely the snooty neighbors didn't like people running near their houses in the morning. It might disrupt their view. :rolleyes:

Bear traps could do the same thing....

trap.jpg

Booko

Deviled Hen
Nothing in the Freep or News....

Oh, I got a hit! Sure enough, it *is* that park on Farmington below 12 mile. Here's a link:

http://www.observer-eccentric.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070114/NEWS06/701140317

There's one thing the news story doesn't mention that you should know, though.

There is a plant species in that park and also in a nature trail at next door Oakland Community College that is very rare -- as in near extinction.

That may have something to do with the decision to ban jogging, though I would've thought just walking was not much different and that the city Dads could've figured a way to give joggers a designated area away from the rare plants.

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:
:cover: ..maybe Joggers will frighten the squirrells during their mating season; heavy footsteps might intimidate the male...........

Clearly you have never seen a North American red squirrel. They're freakin' huge for a squirrel, and NOTHING intimidates them.

I've had them sit in trees and lob nuts on my head when I was just walking down trails quietly minding my own business.

Booko

Deviled Hen
RevOxley_501 said:
cant help but wonder, is it legal to drive to the park or drive past it in an SUV???

There are no roads in the park, so good luck driving there. And no one drives minibikes or ATVs either, so that's not an issue at all.

And this "park" is *huge* -- it would be more accurate to call it a nature preserve. We're not talking about some dinky one square block park. It's at least as big as a sizeable golf course, and maybe bigger.

That's what threw me initially about the mention of "parks" in Farmington Hills. That area is much bigger than what I think of as a "park".

Booko

Deviled Hen
angellous_evangellous said:
Bear traps could do the same thing....

Yes, well, I've met a lot of educated people in Farmington Hills, but not too many *practical* people. :rolleyes:

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
klubbhead024 said:

Yes. Yes it is.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Booko said:
Clearly you have never seen a North American red squirrel. They're freakin' huge for a squirrel, and NOTHING intimidates them.

I've had them sit in trees and lob nuts on my head when I was just walking down trails quietly minding my own business.

Actually that happened to me yesterday in the woods (but a grey squirrel) who dropped his nut from a silver birch that must be 30 feet high...

Of course, my head was fine, but the nut was cracked...........:rolleyes:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Indiana has laws that are far more dumb than that. Such as, a liquor store cannot sell a cold soft drink. It makes no sense, but it's law in Indiana.

Booko

Deviled Hen
michel said:
Actually that happened to me yesterday in the woods (but a grey squirrel) who dropped his nut from a silver birch that must be 30 feet high...
Oh, our red squirrels don't just *drop* them on you -- they catapult them at you!

And then 5 minutes later they come up and beg for your crackers. Cheeky buggers!

Of course, my head was fine, but the nut was cracked...........:rolleyes:
Yeah, I've had that problem myself. :bonk:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Luke Wolf said:
Indiana has laws that are far more dumb than that. Such as, a liquor store cannot sell a cold soft drink. It makes no sense, but it's law in Indiana.

Oh, I remember living in West Lafayette, and they wouldn't even let me in the party store to buy a bag of CHIPS because I wasn't 21 yet!

I had to get give someone going in money to buy my chips for me while they were there. Oy vey and begorrah...

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
Yeah, the red Squirrels seemed interested in me when I was there. Can't have seen a kiwi before.