• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joan Tollifson on the relation of addiction to capitalism-consumerism

ajay0

An insightful article by Joan Tollifson on the nature of addiction, on how capitalism focusses on creating desires and addressing them rather than needs, creating an artificial psychological sense of lack in the process and thereby pleasure addictions...

It should be noted that seeking pleasure and avoiding pain are survival mechanisms that make perfect sense in a purely biological context, but no other animal smokes and drinks itself to death. Obviously, what begins as a natural survival mechanism can get in some way displaced, misdirected or exaggerated in human beings with our complex capacity for imagination and conceptual abstraction.

Capitalist-consumer society, which is a creation of the human mind, actually cultivates addiction. Paul Mazer, a Wall Street banker working for Lehman Brothers in the 1930s, was quoted in a documentary as having said: "We must shift America from a needs – to a desires – culture. People must be trained to desire, to want new things, even before the old have been entirely consumed…Man's desires must overshadow his needs." And I believe it was the current CEO of Apple whom I heard in an interview describe their mission as "creating something you didn't know you wanted that once you have it, you can't imagine living without."

Capitalism and the advertising industry have devoted themselves to creating a sense of lack in virtually every aspect of modern life from politics to spirituality, and then offering to fill it with things we don't really need that won't really make us happy. It’s no surprise that addiction is a major problem. - Joan Tollifson

Joan Tollifson is a spiritual teacher whose background includes Buddhism, Advaita, nontraditional meditative inquiry, radical nonduality, martial arts, somatic work, addiction recovery, political activism, visual arts . She is a student of Toni Packer, a teacher of zen buddhism , and have authored books and articles on meditation, nondual philosophy and openly shares her own experiences with addiction, depression, cancer, aging, disability, and other life adventures.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Thank you for sharing that. I think that if I catch myself desiring something that I don’t need, I’ll pause and ask myself if the desire was created by other human beings.

ajay0

A similar theme stated by Samdhong Rinpoche ...

Industrialization has enabled humanity to produce more commodities than people really need, which has necessitated the creation of markets and the exploitation of greed through indoctrination and brainwashing.

People are taught to compare and compete, so that ignorance and greed escalate endlessly, reducing individuals to mere consuming machines. We have lost the power of discernment and cannot differentiate between need and greed.

The disparity between unlimited desires and limited resources has not only made the economic infrastructure unsustainable but has also damaged our environment and ecosystems almost beyond repair. ~ Samdhong Rinpoche

"Comparison and competition breed acquisitiveness, so much so that people forget what it is that they really need.”

“When a (modern) human being attempts to get over the suffering, he starts considering physical inconveniences as the main cause of suffering. In modern society people mostly do not realize that lack of mental peace and equanimity could also be the source or cause of suffering.”

“The modern civilization emphasizes physical conveniences and pleasures and it ignores the role of mental processes in attaining happiness as tradition does.” ~ Samdhong Rinpoche

I would say that a certain knowledge and understanding of the mind should be imparted in modern secular education so that children will not be conditioned to associate material success and gratifications with happiness solely while growing up, which can be a recipe for discontentment,depression and addictive behaviors later on.

A happy, mindful and equanimous mind independent of circumstances and situations is also more productive in work and personal relations, compared to an unhappy mind filled with cravings that prevent contentment and consequently peace and happiness for himself or herself.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
An insightful article by Joan Tollifson on the nature of addiction, on how capitalism focusses on creating desires and addressing them rather than needs, creating an artificial psychological sense of lack in the process and thereby pleasure addictions...

Joan Tollifson is a spiritual teacher whose background includes Buddhism, Advaita, nontraditional meditative inquiry, radical nonduality, martial arts, somatic work, addiction recovery, political activism, visual arts . She is a student of Toni Packer, a teacher of zen buddhism , and have authored books and articles on meditation, nondual philosophy and openly shares her own experiences with addiction, depression, cancer, aging, disability, and other life adventures.
Sounds like my kind of non-man :) Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think its important to be aware the reality of subtitle programming and how the mind and brain can be prone to modification of its neural pathways.

That compulsive habitual urge to stop by the store almost everyday for something, as opposed to just returning home without buying anything.

Once you realise the signs of being modified, destroying those neural pathways, and developing new ones goes a long way in breaking the programming instilled by others that encourage rampant consumerism brought about by marketeers attempting to modify people to be compulsory spenders.

ajay0

An insightful quote by philosopher and sociologist Lewis Mumford from his book, 'The Myth of the Machine' , which corresponds to the theme of the thread.

"The aim of industry is not primarily to satisfy essential human needs with a minimal productive effort, but to multiply the number of needs, factitious and fictitious, and accommodate them to the maximum mechanical capacity to produce profits. These are the sacred principle of the power complex. Not the least effort of this system is that of replacing selectivity and quantitative restriction by indiscriminate and incontinent consumption."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Thank you for sharing that. I think that if I catch myself desiring something that I don’t need, I’ll pause and ask myself if the desire was created by other human beings.
I think we are actually programmed to be impulsive and habitual buyers because we feel we need it. Too many times I find that I absolutely must stop somewhere every day coming home from work the 'need' to go and buy something.

I find it to be more than a coincidence, so I proactively fight the impulse and go directly home to essentially rewire my brain where the programming is no longer effective.