• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jews: can I be a Nazarite without faith?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Jews, I perhaps would like to be a Nazarite. Can I be a Nazarite without having faith in the Abrahamic God? Like, I’d give Him the benefit of the doubt as a Nazarite, but that’s the best I can do. And that isn’t faith, right? I see it like this. Any religion is just as likely to be right, and they could all be wrong. And there’s no way for me to find out. So I have no clue what the reality of the situation is, so how can I have faith in a specific deity?

I have tried to be a nazarite before a couple times, while I had complete faith. just taken a vow in prayer and stopped drinking, didn’t cut my hair, and stayed away from the graves. As well as immersed myself in religious practice, as I thought the vow was pointless if I wasn’t spiritually practicing. Most recently at best I did nearly two years before my religious zeal faded and I broke the vow. Then I lost my faith. But I know I shouldn’t take the vow again; making a vow before God and breaking it is very foolish and dangerous, it is better not to make a vow at all. But, hypothetically, could I take the vow without faith in God?

As my name is Sam and my mother was very religious, I assume she wanted me to be a Nazarite. Both Samson and Samuel were dedicated to be Nazarite by their mothers before their birth. Though I’ll never know for sure because she is dead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so that’s why I want to be a Nazarite.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Why not a 12 step program? If belief in a higher power is benficial to you they've got that plus support from others who experience the same struggle.

If the higher power is not important, Buddhism.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Im not Jewish so forgive me for answering but you could swear to do something without making a nazarite vow. I mean i swore to cover my hair and be celibate due to my belief system. It was mostly to the Divine spark in me and to the gods of sexuality. If you really want to make a vow any vow you should consider why. And i mean really why and how a vow could help you. And what to swear regarding said vow. And to who. You can even make vows to yourself. Like if you feel hair is sacred and that drinking is a sin you can swear to cover your hair or not cut it and not to drink. If you feel in your belief that avoiding graves is a good idea then you could swear to avoid those. This dont require you to be a nazarite to do. But then youd have to ask how that would help you and if a vow is really needed. And personally i dont think you should make vows for others because someone wanted you to but because it'd be helpful and meaningful for whatever reason

Jedster

Then I lost my faith. But I know I shouldn’t take the vow again; making a vow before God and breaking it is very foolish and dangerous, it is better not to make a vow at all. But, hypothetically, could I take the vow without faith in God?

If you have no faith in God, then to whom will your vow be?
Are you waiting for some authority to give you the okay?

If not, the why not do it anyway. (You can always let yourself off if you changed your mind again)
Growing one's hair & abstaining from alcohol & not hanging around the dead is not a bad way to live.

Cheers