• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish Messiah

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I commonly read Christians posting on here saying something like: 'The Jews expected a warrior messiah who would be a king..' etc. etc. So I ask the Christians now: why do you think the Jews expected and/or expect this? Could you cite any verses in the Tanakh to this effect? If the Jews were near uniformly expecting such a messiah this belief must be backed up with something. What is that something?

John D. Brey

I commonly read Christians posting on here saying something like: 'The Jews expected a warrior messiah who would be a king..' etc. etc. So I ask the Christians now: why do you think the Jews expected and/or expect this? Could you cite any verses in the Tanakh to this effect? If the Jews were near uniformly expecting such a messiah this belief must be backed up with something. What is that something?

Why don't you first tell us what you think are the qualification and actionable traits of the Jewish Messiah? It would be nice to know what the "Christian" conceptualism is being juxtaposed against?

John

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Its late, but I will post more on references, but simply te Hebrews equated the Messiah concept with Kingship to restore the Nation of Israel.

Shaul

Premium Member
Many Jews would object to the terminology of "messiah"(especially capitalized). The word messiah is a corruption of the Hebrew word "moshiach". The meaning of the word messiah has been co-opted so much with the Christian definition of it that it is unpalatable to many Jews. Jews use the word moschiach.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Many Jews would object to the terminology of "messiah"(especially capitalized). The word messiah is a corruption of the Hebrew word "moshiach". The meaning of the word messiah has been co-opted so much with the Christian definition of it that it is unpalatable to many Jews. Jews use the word moschiach.
I was a Noahide on here for 5 years and no Jew cared about this. I would write moshiach/maschiach but it means the same. I'm asking Christians what they think, anyway.

These seem to be one reason for the expectation:

And having gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he asked of them where the Christ was to be born. And they said to him, In Bethlehem of Judea, for so it has been written by the prophet, "And you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judea, in no way are you least among the governors of Judah, for out of you shall come a Governor who shall shepherd My people Israel."
Matt. 2:4-6

And you, Bethlehem Ephratah, being least among the thousands of Judah, out of you He shall come forth to Me to become Ruler in Israel; and His goings forth have been from of old, from the days of eternity.
Mic. 5:2

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
And having gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he asked of them where the Christ was to be born. And they said to him, In Bethlehem of Judea, for so it has been written by the prophet, "And you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judea, in no way are you least among the governors of Judah, for out of you shall come a Governor who shall shepherd My people Israel."
Matt. 2:4-6
This isn't from the Tanakh.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Neither is Rambam's 13 principles of faith, but ...
Both the Gospels and the 13 Principles were written after the fall of the Temple. Expectations and understandings may have long shifted in the years since this event. I'm looking for what Jews believed at the time of the 2nd Temple with regard to the messiah. The one thing Jews and Christians agree on is the Hebrew Bible so that's the source one ought to start with.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Both the Gospels and the 13 Principles were written after the fall of the Temple. Expectations and understandings may have long shifted in the years since this event. I'm looking for what Jews believed at the time of the 2nd Temple with regard to the messiah. The one thing Jews and Christians agree on is the Hebrew Bible so that's the source one ought to start with.
Jeremiah 23:5

הִנֵּ֨ה יָמִ֤ים בָּאִים֙ נְאֻם־יְהֹוָ֔ה וַהֲקִמֹתִ֥י לְדָוִ֖ד צֶ֣מַח צַדִּ֑יק וּמָ֤לַךְ מֶ֙לֶךְ֙ וְהִשְׂכִּ֔יל וְעָשָׂ֛ה מִשְׁפָּ֥ט וּצְדָקָ֖ה בָּאָֽרֶץ׃
See, a time is coming—declares GOD —when I will raise up a true branch of David’s line. He shall reign as king and shall prosper, and he shall do what is just and right in the land.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yet Christian concepts of Messiah are derived from Judaism. The Essenes had a concept of warrior and priestly messiahs prior to Jesus' day. Are the Dead Sea Scrolls useless in this messianic discussion?
Could you please not derail my thread? All I want to know is where Christians believe Jews derive their understanding of the Messiah and the best place to start is the Tanakh. Many Christians accept that the Jews were/are not expecting a Messiah who does the things Jesus did, but someone who would overthrow Rome and restore Israelite hegemony. I want to know why Christians believe this and why there are differences between the two messianic understandings.

Flankerl

Yet Christian concepts of Messiah are derived from Judaism
The word you are looking for is "stolen".

The Essenes had a concept of warrior and priestly messiahs prior to Jesus' day.
Good for them.
How are they doing again?

Are the Dead Sea Scrolls useless in this messianic discussion?
Yup pretty much.
All of the Messianic stuff existed prior to the discovery of these scrolls.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Shaul: Jews do not really care about anglicizations of hebrew words. We commonly use Isaac for Yitzchak, etc. I don't really give a hoot if christians use the word messiah rather than moshiach.