• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish & Judaism FAQs

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Based on a discussion we had between a few of the Judaism adherents here on RF, we thought we'd set up this thread to answer some basic, common questions about Judaism. Everyone's welcome to ask follow-ups and we'll do our best to answer them. Other Jews/Noahides - welcome to correct me, add points I may have missed or add the interpretations of your own denominations.

Reminder: This is the Religious Q&A section, so no debating.

Part 1:

1. What are Jews/Who is a Jew?
Jews are an ethno-religious group, so even non-practicing Jews are still Jewish. Judaism is the religion of these people.
Until not long ago, the majority consensus for this question was: a. Someone born to a Jewish mother (with that mother's Judaism defined either by criteria a. or the following criteria b.) or, b. Someone who properly converted. Karaite Judaism concluded that as most lineages in the Tanach are traced paternally, so too is a person's Jewish identity. More recently, the American Reform movement decided to include people who only have a Jewish father, even if their mother isn't Jewish. Later, the majority of British Reform reached a similar decision. Some Progressive Judaism communities also hold this. Reconstructionist Judaism holds that if the person is the child of either a Jewish father or mother and was raised Jewish, is a Jew. Such people aren't regarded as Jewish by any other denominations. Orthodox Halacha (law) states that these people are considered "Zerah Yisrael" (=Heb. Seed of Israel) and if they honestly wish to return to their paternal roots, there's more interest in helping these people than other people attempting conversion.

2. What about Samarians/Black Hebrew Israelites?
Samarians, called "Shomronim" in Hebrew, are not considered Jewish. The Tanach describes how these people came to live in Israel - gentile people who were exiled by the Assyrians to Samaria in Israel, and these people subsequently decided to attempt to keep the Torah. Not having properly converted, they are not Jewish.

Black Hebrew Israelites are a group (deemed cultish by some) that was founded by two African-American Christians named Frank Cherry and William Saunders Crowdy, who both claimed that they had revelations in which they believed that God told them that African Americans are descendants of the Hebrews in the Christian Bible. The two went on to found the first two BHI churches. BHIs have no connection to the Jewish people and are not considered neither Jewish nor Zerah Yisrael.

3. What about Karaites?
Karaites are Jewish. They are a Jewish denomination that split off from Mainstream Judaism around the 8th century CE. Their main dispute with the mainstream views is that they reject the validity of the Oral Torah. As such, many of their halachic (=Jewish law) customs are different, even vastly different from other, more traditional denominations of Judaism. Because of this, for many centuries, there were disputes among Rabbinical authorities on whether or not could a traditional Jew marry a Karaite Jew. In the past century, Rabbi Ovadiah Yosef, former Chief Rabbi of Israel, ruled that such marriages are allowed.

4. What about Messianic Jews?
Messianic Jews, provided that their maternal lineage is Jewish or they had properly converted at some point in their lives and this conversion was not revoked (which happens sometimes) upon their becoming Messianics, are Jews through and through. Messianic Judaism, however, is not a Jewish denomination but rather a Christian denomination. Messianic Jews are generally viewed as heretic Jews (with various halachic ramifications depending on the denomination).

It is widely understood by Jews that Messianic organizations such Hebrew-Christians and Jews for Jesus were created by Christian missionary groups as a means to entice more Jews to convert to Christianity, by allowing them to keep some of their Jewish identity.

5. What are your beliefs?
Jewish beliefs vary between denominations and sub-denominations. There is no one belief on anything, save for two things: The absolute unity and uniqueness of God and the non-divinity, non-prophecy of Jesus and other divinity or prophecy claimants such as Mohammed and Baha'u'llah.

6. What are Jewish denominations?
The three largest denominations are:
Orthodox, Conservative and Reform.
Two smaller denominations are: Reconstructionist and Humanistic.
Other than these, there are several sub-denominations within these main ones, such as Ultra-Orthodox, Jewish Renewal and Chassidic.

7. Wait, there's a difference between Ultra-Orthodox and Chassidic?
Yes. Chassidic Jews are usually part of a sub-group within Ultra-Orthodox Judaism, divided into various Chassiduyot (Heb. roughly translates as "courts"). The Chassidic movement was started by Rabbi Yisrael Ba'al Shem Tov in what is now Ukraine and spread fast throughout Eastern Europe. As such, most Chassidic Jewish families trace their origins to those countries. Many Chassidic courts (though not all) are named after the town in which the court originated. Some of the largest Chassidic courts are: Chabad, Satmar and Belz, with the latter two named after European towns.

8. What about Ashkenazi, Sephardi, Yemeni, etc - aren't those denominations?
No. Those terms refer to the cultural, diaspora-rooted background of different Jewish communities - for example, Ashkenazi Jews come from various parts of Europe, in particular: Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Czechoslovakia and other countries. Sephardi Jews originated in Spain and upon being exiled in 1492 CE, moved to different countries such as the Netherlands, Britain, North Africa and Greece. Some even settled in Israel. Yemeni Jews come from Yemen. And so forth. Because of these diverse backgrounds, different halachic traditions and customs developed over the centuries. According to Orthodox Judaism, if a person wishes to change his traditions to those of a different community, he has to unravel his vow of forever being a member of that community (and being subjected to its halachic tradition and customs) - a process that must be done in front of a court of three. Women who marry into a different community do not need to unravel their vows.

9. What do you believe about the Messiah/the Messianic age?
As mentioned previously, there is no one Jewish belief on anything. I'll present the Orthodox view and other Jews may of course add their views:
In Orthodox Judaism, the Messiah is a mortal man, a descendant of King David whose role in the world is much more geo-political than religious. The Messiah, called "Mashiach" in Hebrew, needs to fulfill a set of tasks in order to be crowned Messiah. The tasks are:
a. Winning all of the Jewish people's wars/defeating all of the Jewish people's enemies.
b. Building the Third Temple atop the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.
c. Bringing all of the Jewish people back to the land of Israel.
d. Reinstating the Jewish-Davidic monarchy.
Any messianic claimants that failed to complete these tasks (all of them, so far) are considered false messiahs (Jesus, Shabbtai Tzvi are among the most famous examples).

10. How do you seek forgiveness without a Temple? For that matter, how do you keep all of the commandments without a Temple?
Sacrifices were only ever one part of the atonement process (called Teshuvah in Hebrew). The other, more central parts were: a. expressing regret, b. verbalizing the confession and c. taking upon oneself to not sin again. Today, as we no longer have a Temple and cannot bring sacrifices, we stick to the other components of atonement. In traditional Judaism ("rabbinic") there is also a concept of "oness rachmana patrei" Talmudic Aramaic for one who is under duress, is exempted by God - when one cannot fulfill a certain commandment because it is out of his hands, he is exempted from keeping it. This idea is the same with regards to any other commandments we are unable to keep, such as building the Temple.

11. What are Jewish scriptures?
Jewish scriptures, called Torah in general, are divided into two categories: The Written Torah and the Oral Torah (also known as the Written Tradition or Law and the Oral Tradition or Law).

The Written Torah is made up of 24 books, divided into three sections, called Tanach for short:
Torah - the Five Books of Moses - Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy,
Nevi'im (prophets) - Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Jeremiah and the Twelve Minor Prophets.
Ketuvim (writings) - Job, Proverbs, Psalms, Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra & Nehemiah and Chronicles.

The Oral Torah was originally just that - passed down verbally from teacher to student, from father to son, until it was eventually codified in what is known as the Mishnah. Later, similar codices were written, such as the Sifra. A few centuries after the Mishnah was written, the Talmud was codified. The Talmud was written in order to explain the Mishnah and to pass on various mystical teachings that hadn't been included in the Mishnah. Over the next 1500 years or so many more texts were added to the Oral Tradition - in some sense, every Jewish text is part of the Oral Tradition, making it endless. However, there are some texts that are more important than others. Kabbalistic texts are also part of the Oral Torah.

12. What don't you like about interfaith discussions/debates?
Being told we do not understand our own scriptures, including our rabbinical texts. Being told that Christians are spiritual Jews. Being told that we aren't real Jews and some other group are the real Jews. Missionizing attempts. Being told that our messiah is Jesus.

To be continued (by me or by other RF Jews/Noahides)...

Last edited:

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow, that's what you call a Q&A list. I'm very impressed by how comprehensive and informative it is.

I'm sure this will be of genuine benefit for many posters on the forum interested in learning about the essentials of Judaism.

Many thanks for such a sterling effort!

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

I have a question...s. I have read before, and read on this forum also, someone saying that the Jews identify one who is a Jew through their mother's side.

Is that correct?

If that is correct, what does that mean? If my mother was a Jew? If my grandmother was a Jew? If my great grandmother was a Jew? I ask this because I know someone whose great grandmother was full blood Jew on their mothers side. Are they considered Jew?

Good-Ole-Rebel

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Cool thread. Now I can bring up questions as a Jew who does not observe Judaism's rituals. I was frustrated by not being able to have an extensive discussion in the Judaism DIR earlier.

I was a bit teasing @RabbiO earlier about how the Sh'ma has influenced my beliefs today. The context is that I find much in Kabbala that is the same or very similar to Eastern formulations including that Divinity is One.

So here goes ;)

I'm confused about the relationship between Kabbala and Chassidism. I have it in my mind that they are different but I've see the Baal Shem Tov in both contexts. How do Chassids view his teachings and how do they more generally Kabbalistic ideas? Is the Baal Shem Tov in the Kabbalistic tradition?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
1. What are Jews/Who is a Jew?
Jews are an ethno-religious group, so even non-practicing Jews are still Jewish. Judaism is the religion of these people.
Until not long ago, the consensus for this question was: a. Someone born to a Jewish mother (with that mother's Judaism defined either by criteria a. or the following criteria b.) or, b. Someone who properly converted. More recently, the American Reform movement decided to include people who only have a Jewish father, even if their mother isn't Jewish. Such people aren't regarded as Jewish by any other denominations. Orthodox Halacha (law) states that these people are considered "Zerah Yisrael" (=Heb. Seed of Israel) and if they honestly wish to return to their paternal roots, there's more interest in helping these people than other people attempting conversion.

Just a couple of quick points:
  • As a Reform Jew I accept patrilineal descent.
  • I believe that your claim highlighter above is in accurate. To the best of my knowledge both Reconstructionist and Karaite Jews accept patrilineal descent.
  • Those two points aside, I thought you did a very good job addressing what can be a contentious matter.
By the way, from Wikipedia: Matrilineality in Judaism:

The Ratner Center for the Study of Conservative Judaism conducted a survey of 1,617 members of 27 Conservative congregations in the U.S. and Canada in 1995.[109] 69% of respondents to the Ratner Center survey agreed that they would regard personally as a Jew anyone who was raised Jewish—even if their mother was Gentile and their father was Jewish (Wertheimer, 59). In this same survey, 29% of respondents indicated that they attended Jewish religious services twice a month or more and 13% that they engage in the study of a Jewish text once a month or more (Wertheimer, 55-57).
Finally, Cohen's The Beginnings of Jewishness is well worth reading.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
  • As a Reform Jew I accept patrilineal descent.
  • I believe that your claim highlighter above is in accurate. To the best of my knowledge both Reconstructionist and Karaite Jews accept patrilineal descent.
  • Those two points aside, I thought you did a very good job addressing what can be a contentious matter
Thank you, I was not aware of this.

Am I correct that only American Reform accept patrilineal descent as well as matrilineal? Or has this spread to all of Reform?

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Am I correct that only American Reform accept patrilineal descent as well as matrilineal? Or has this spread to all of Reform?
The Wikipedia entry noted above states:

However, in 2015 the majority of Britain's Assembly of Reform Rabbis voted in favor of a position paper proposing "that individuals who live a Jewish life, and who are patrilineally Jewish, can be welcomed into the Jewish community and confirmed as Jewish through an individual process." Britain's Assembly of Reform Rabbis stated that rabbis "would be able to take local decisions – ratified by the Beit Din – confirming Jewish status."

Other movements within the World Union for Progressive Judaism also adopted essentially the same position. These include: Liberal Judaism in England; Progressive Judaism in Australia; one congregation in Austria; some congregations in Eastern Europe. Note that Reform Judaism in Canada and England adopts a different position, similar to that of Conservative Judaism (though there may be an accelerated conversion process for the children of Jewish fathers).​

I find this somewhat surprising, particularly in the case of Canada.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Wikipedia entry noted above states:

However, in 2015 the majority of Britain's Assembly of Reform Rabbis voted in favor of a position paper proposing "that individuals who live a Jewish life, and who are patrilineally Jewish, can be welcomed into the Jewish community and confirmed as Jewish through an individual process."[112] Britain's Assembly of Reform Rabbis stated that rabbis "would be able to take local decisions – ratified by the Beit Din – confirming Jewish status."[112]

Other movements within the World Union for Progressive Judaism also adopted essentially the same position. These include: Liberal Judaism in England; Progressive Judaism in Australia; one congregation in Austria; some congregations in Eastern Europe. Note that Reform Judaism in Canada and England adopts a different position, similar to that of Conservative Judaism (though there may be an accelerated conversion process for the children of Jewish fathers).​

I find this somewhat surprising, particularly in the case of Canada.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a question...s. I have read before, and read on this forum also, someone saying that the Jews identify one who is a Jew through their mother's side.

Is that correct?

If that is correct, what does that mean? If my mother was a Jew? If my grandmother was a Jew? If my great grandmother was a Jew? I ask this because I know someone whose great grandmother was full blood Jew on their mothers side. Are they considered Jew?

Good-Ole-Rebel
Depends what denomination you're asking. As @Jayhawker Soule pointed out, Karaites, large parts of Reform Judaism and Reconstructionists hold that someone whose father is Jewish is also Jewish. Other denominations hold that only if the mother is Jewish, is the person Jewish. So if you were to ask a Conservative or an Orthodox Jew if that person is Jewish, the answer would be: is this person's mother's mother the daughter of this Jewish great-grandmother? If yes, then that person is Jewish. If there's a son somewhere along that lineage, then that person is Jewish only according to the aforementioned three denominations.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm confused about the relationship between Kabbala and Chassidism. I have it in my mind that they are different but I've see the Baal Shem Tov in both contexts. How do Chassids view his teachings and how do they more generally Kabbalistic ideas? Is the Baal Shem Tov in the Kabbalistic tradition?
Much (but not all) of Chassidic teachings are rooted in Kabbalah. Kabbalah came first, and the Ba'al Shem Tov was very knowledgeable in that field. The Ba'al Shem Tov is part of Kabbalistic tradition in the sense that he was a Kabbalist and a large part of his teachings are Kabbalistic. People who are well-versed in Kabbalah know how to differentiate between the Kabbalistic parts and the non-Kabbalistic parts of Chassidism.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Depends what denomination you're asking. As @Jayhawker Soule pointed out, Karaites, large parts of Reform Judaism and Reconstructionists hold that someone whose father is Jewish is also Jewish. Other denominations hold that only if the mother is Jewish, is the person Jewish. So if you were to ask a Conservative or an Orthodox Jew if that person is Jewish, the answer would be: is this person's mother's mother the daughter of this Jewish great-grandmother? If yes, then that person is Jewish. If there's a son somewhere along that lineage, then that person is Jewish only according to the aforementioned three denominations.

I see, I think. Appreciate it. If this person's mother's mother is the daughter of the great-grandmother, then they are Jewish. Even if this person is male?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Part 2:

1. What's the deal with those little pieces of cloth you wear on your heads?
Those are called Kippot (singular kippah, Heb. for "dome") or Yarmulkes (pronounced Yah-mih-Kahs, Yiddish). Wearing a kippah is a tradition that originated in the ancient custom of wearing a head-covering to show humility - when one wears a head-covering, he remembers that there is always someone above him (God).
Not all Jews wear kippot. Most denominations use them at least during religious services. In Orthodox Judaism, all men wear kippot, though there is some halachic leniency for men to not wear a kippah to work if the sight may hinder the man's progress and stability at his job. Also in Orthodox, only men wear kippot. In other denominations, women may wear kippot, in particular during services.

2. What are your views on intermarriage?
Again, views differ based on denomination. Orthodox are outright against intermarriage. The official Conservative view of intermarriage is opposition, but more recently, more and more Conservative Jews, communities and even rabbis have come out in favor of intermarriage. Reform are in favor of intermarriage. As a rule of thumb, you can tell a community's view on intermarriage based on how they answer the question "Who is a Jew?". Karaites hold that though Judaism is through the male side, this is only in the case of a non-Karaite Jewish woman marrying a Karaite Jewish man. If the Karaite man marries a gentile woman, the children are considered gentiles.

3. I heard that Jews call non-Jews "goyim". Is that an insult?
The word "goyim" (singular goy) is Hebrew for "nations". Even the Jewish people are referred to as a goy in the Tanach. Because of this, some halachic sources such as the 16th century codex The Shulchan Aruch, when referring to non-Jews, calls them "non-Jews" (Eino Yehudi/Einam Yehudim in Hebrew). Over the centuries, however, it became a common term when referring to non-Jews. Because of bad relations between Jews and non-Jews over the millennia, this term eventually gained some negative connotation. Another term that was used in the past but fell out of use eventually is "nochri" which is Hebrew for "outsider" - referring to that person's identity as someone who is not of the Jewish nation (but of a different nationality).

4. What are your views on the afterlife?
I'll present the more common view within Orthodox Judaism: When a person dies, they are judged in heaven by God. If they are good enough, they are sent to a kind of heavenly waiting room until the time of the resurrection. If the person isn't good enough, but isn't evil enough to be wiped out of existence, they are sent to hell, which is a place for cleansing the soul. Once the cleansing process is complete, they join the rest of the souls in the heavenly waiting room. If the person is way too evil, they are wiped out of existence (called "Karet" in Hebrew, which means "being cut off"). Some time after the coming of the Messiah, there will be a resurrection of all good souls. Some time after that, the world in its entirety will transition into The World To Come. Opinions differ on whether this World To Come is a place where only souls exist or do they also have some kind of physical form. In The World To Come, people will reap the fruits of their labors in This World.

5. What are your views on Kabbalah?
Kabbalah is Hebrew for "tradition". The Talmud, for example, refers to non-Kabbalistic concepts and/or halacha as "Kabbalah" - as they were passed down as traditions through the ages. Kabbalah as we know it today was originally passed down through secret Jewish mystical cults. In traditional Judaism it was held for many ages that only the most learned of men should attempt to study Kabbalah. Not being careful when approaching the subject could lead to terrible ramifications. A famous story in the Talmud warns of possible dangers of studying Kabbalah when one is insufficiently prepared: "The Sages taught: Four entered the orchard [pardes], (i.e., dealt with the loftiest secrets of Torah), and they are as follows: Ben Azzai; and ben Zoma; Acher, ("the other", a name for Elisha ben Avuya); and Rabbi Akiva...Ben Azzai glimpsed at the Divine Presence and died...Ben Zoma glimpsed at the Divine Presence and was harmed, (i.e., he lost his mind)... Acher chopped down the shoots of saplings (in other words, he became a heretic). Rabbi Akiva came out safely."
Chassidism is deeply rooted in Kabbalistic traditions; some of the greatest Chassidic sages and masters were noted Kabbalists. Chassidism helped popularize and connect Kabbalah with some of the less-learned Jewish people.
In the last century or so, more and more people, including many non-Jews, learn forms of new-agey, pseudo-Kabbalah, which are not considered at all proper ways to study the material. Another rule of thumb, in particular in Orthodox Judaism, is that if a person boasts of himself as a great Kabbalist - or any sort of Kabbalist - then he is most likely a fraud.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
People who are well-versed in Kabbalah know how to differentiate between the Kabbalistic parts and the non-Kabbalistic parts of Chassidism.
@sunrise,

Chassidus is Kabbalah applied in Jewish practice. An analogy using physics: Kabbalah describes the spiritual DNA and intermolecular spiritual interactions. Chassidus uses this information to build a better Sukkah, or to better observe Shabbos... if that makes sense.

Essentially Chassidus puts Kabbalah into practice in the form of doing Mitzvot.

Regarding differentiating non Kabbalistic Chassidus, I don't think they can be seperated. One leads to the other.

Last edited:

Good-Ole-Rebel

Another question. I have no doubt that all 12 tribes of Israel are represented in Israel today.

But, are there any Jews alive today that can prove their link to a certain tribe?

I know Jews are planning on the rebuilding of the temple. Is there any effort being made to discover a method whereby everyone's tribe can be traced?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
But, are there any Jews alive today that can prove their link to a certain tribe?
Some Jews may have genealogies that lead back, son to father to Kohanim (priests) or Levites, so they know that they're Levites for sure. Some might have genealogies that go all the way back to a figure that was known to have come from David, so they know they're from Judah. But such people are rare and few. Most Jews don't have genealogy records that go far enough back.
Is there any effort being made to discover a method whereby everyone's tribe can be traced?
I don't know. Although, what does this have to do with building the Temple?

rosends

Another question. I have no doubt that all 12 tribes of Israel are represented in Israel today.

I know Jews are planning on the rebuilding of the temple. Is there any effort being made to discover a method whereby everyone's tribe can be traced?

Good-Ole-Rebel
Jews today come mostly from only the southern kingdom of Judah which was made of the tribes of Judah, Benjamin and some of Levi, plus refugees from Ephraim, Menashe and Shimon. Some people have very extensive family trees and can trace themselves back to others who trace themselves back etc. In my family, we have an ancestor who, in a book, traced himself to an earlier sage who, in his book, traced himself back to a well known commentator who, in his book, traced himself back to King David's family. I haven't independently confirmed this claim.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Some Jews may have genealogies that lead back, son to father to Kohanim (priests) or Levites, so they know that they're Levites for sure. Some might have genealogies that go all the way back to a figure that was known to have come from David, so they know they're from Judah. But such people are rare and few. Most Jews don't have genealogy records that go far enough back.

I don't know. Although, what does this have to do with building the Temple?

Appreciate it.

Well, I know there are efforts by the Jews to rebuild the Temple. And, you would need to know who were of the tribe of Levi for sure. If you're going to have a temple you need the priests and the Levites to do the ministries required.

You couldn't just pick any one. I believe Scripture is clear here. Don't you?

I am disappointed that you don't know if there is an effort to find a method to identify every Jew with his tribe. I personally am hopeful that there is. Who knows, as they do wondrous things with DNA now.

Good-Ole-Rebel