• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish and

rosends

I have heard recently claims that one cannot be "Jewish and ________" as it relates to the American political spectrum. It seems that some people think that aligning one's self with certain parts of the political continuum is inherently at odds with core values and essential aspects of Judaism.

This presumes a particular understanding of Jewish law, practice and belief to the exclusion of anyone else's understanding or belief.

And yet I have heard this (mostly said to or about me) from a variety of peoplpe who occupy a wide range of spaces on the political-theory arc.

Do you believe that it is true that one cannot make claim to fully valuing his religion while also endorsing policies or an approach to governance that is part and parcel of one spot on the spectrum?

Do you believe that trying to be affiliated with two intrinsically opposed groups require a wilfull blindness, the compromising of integral tenets or the embracing of a cherry-picking (or reductionist) approach to some group identity?

[note, vague wording is intentional so as not to influence any answers by projecting my own ideas]

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Having read your posts, I feel safe to say that you and I are on opposite sides of the politcal spectrum. And yet, I get the same insults cast at me.

It's just dumb politics. Ignorance abounds in politics... on both sides of the "political aisle".

Do you believe that it is true that one cannot make claim to fully valuing his religion while also endorsing policies or an approach to governance that is part and parcel of one spot on the spectrum?

no.

Do you believe that trying to be affiliated with two intrinsically opposed groups require a willful blindness, the compromising of integral tenets or the embracing of a cherry-picking (or reductionist) approach to some group identity?

I'm not sure that I understand the question. But, I think my answer is also: no.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure it's possible to answer your question with a general sweeping statement. I would say "depends" - depends what the views are. "70 panim la'Torah" - 70 and not 71. Jewish thought can go in all sorts of directions, but even that has limits. Not everything is legit.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I have heard recently claims that one cannot be "Jewish and ________" as it relates to the American political spectrum. It seems that some people think that aligning one's self with certain parts of the political continuum is inherently at odds with core values and essential aspects of Judaism.

I believe there to be a lack of consensus concerning the "core values and essential aspects of Judaism."