• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I am not sure how this relates to the thread, but it gives me the impression that you feel the need to term immigrant to anyone who does not share your “cultural norms”.

It appears to me that you choose to ignore the fact that all of the Southern US spoke Spanish before English, that not only Spanish speaking Americans name their children with Spanish names. Madonna is not a Spanish immigrant and she named her daughter Lourdes-a Spanish and Portuguese name. Joaquin Miller was no Spaniard and he invented the “western novel” genre before your grandparents were born.

Your insistence on the point that people in the US and England do not use the name Jesus as a first name out of respect is baseless. That is true of many English speaking Christians, but some English speaking people have the name Jesus and they are not immigrants of Spain or Mexico, and they chose the name precisely honouring the son of their God, and some because they want and can.

Furthermore, the name Joshua is the English translation of the Hebrew name Yeshua, and there are thousands of people named Joshua around the World, most of them English speaking Christians. The name Jesus is really nothing more than a bad translation of Yeshua. Those are the facts. You have made a long and convoluted argument to deny the facts and make yourself appear to be an expert of sorts. I take it into context, and imagine who the statements are coming from.

Perhaps you feel the need to deny the authenticity of citizenship of others in order to feel secure about your own. Did your immigrant ancestors give you a more "authentic" brand of citizenship, or did you come recently from England and want to claim the US for yourself?
Before you start accusing me of anything, maybe you want to take some time to actually read what I said. You obviously are having a hard time comprehending what I'm saying. I don't think I can actually break it down any further, nor do I think it would make a difference because you seem to want to portray me as some racist white power member. I mean seriously, how can you not understand what I have been saying. I broke it down to an elementary level.

Yes, there are exceptions to the rule. However, was it not you who first stated that the name Jesus is a somewhat unique among English speaking people? If you have forgotten, yes it was. You made that statement first, I explained why it was. It is not my fault if you can't follow that. Again, you stated that Jesus was not a common name among English speaking people. I explained why that was.

Also, go back and read what I've said. You will quickly see that I have never stated that English speaking people do not name their kids Jesus. I simply explained why it wasn't common. I explained an observation that you made. So quit it with the racist bs, and actually address something of importance.

A

angellous_evangellous

Is that an intentional racist remark or an honest mistake based on ignorance?
Do you know in which continent is Spain?
How many prominent and famous Europeans with the name Jesus as a first name would you like me to list for you?
Did you make it up, read it 20 years ago, or are you going to cite some "source" for your information?
Alternatively, you could travel there and see for yourself.
Do you know the Viking/Icelandic word for one who has not travelled much?

This is where intellectual bankruptcy gets you.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Is that an intentional racist remark or an honest mistake based on ignorance?
Do you know in which continent is Spain?
How many prominent and famous Europeans with the name Jesus as a first name would you like me to list for you?
Did you make it up, read it 20 years ago, or are you going to cite some "source" for your information?
Alternatively, you could travel there and see for yourself.
Do you know the Viking/Icelandic word for one who has not travelled much?
You do realize that you are the one who stated that for English speaking people, Jesus is not a common name, don't you? You made the claim. Again, you made the claim. You are the one who first made the claim. Is that clear enough.

And what does Viking/Icelandic have to do with anything? I suppose that's probably where the name Jesus really comes from huh?

A

angellous_evangellous

You do realize that you are the one who stated that for English speaking people, Jesus is not a common name, don't you? You made the claim. Again, you made the claim. You are the one who first made the claim. Is that clear enough.

And what does Viking/Icelandic have to do with anything? I suppose that's probably where the name Jesus really comes from huh?

Be careful. He turns four next month.

Best to start focusing on the cake.

Godwilling

Organic, kinetic learner
Before you start accusing me of anything, maybe you want to take some time to actually read what I said. You obviously are having a hard time comprehending what I'm saying. I don't think I can actually break it down any further, nor do I think it would make a difference because you seem to want to portray me as some racist white power member. I mean seriously, how can you not understand what I have been saying. I broke it down to an elementary level.

Yes, there are exceptions to the rule. However, was it not you who first stated that the name Jesus is a somewhat unique among English speaking people? If you have forgotten, yes it was. You made that statement first, I explained why it was. It is not my fault if you can't follow that. Again, you stated that Jesus was not a common name among English speaking people. I explained why that was.

Also, go back and read what I've said. You will quickly see that I have never stated that English speaking people do not name their kids Jesus. I simply explained why it wasn't common. I explained an observation that you made. So quit it with the racist bs, and actually address something of importance.

As you, and anyone else for that matter, can read on my replies, I did not call you racist. I do not need to insult anyone to defend my positions. I am quite comfortable with my knowledge, the sources of my knowledge, and my life as a whole.

I posed the question regarding your assertions that people in the US and England do not name their children Jesus unless they are immigrants from Spain or Mexico. If you did not mean to be racist in your remarks, which are rather offensive, then simply apologize, clarify, and move on. Everyone makes mistakes, and I would not hold a mistake against you.

When someone makes a mistake and rectifies, we understand that the person made a mistake and that the mistake does not define the person. When a person does or say something inappropriate and defends it, then we understand it not to be a mistake, but a reflection of that person.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Three hundred thousand. In Greek. And for the love of god put the accents in the right place.

A

angellous_evangellous

As you, and anyone else for that matter, can read on my replies, I did not call you racist. I do not need to insult anyone to defend my positions. I am quite comfortable with my knowledge, the sources of my knowledge, and my life as a whole.

I posed the question regarding your assertions that people in the US and England do not name their children Jesus unless they are immigrants from Spain or Mexico. If you did not mean to be racist in your remarks, which are rather offensive, then simply apologize, clarify, and move on. Everyone makes mistakes, and I would not hold a mistake against you.

When someone makes a mistake and rectifies, we understand that the person made a mistake and that the mistake does not define the person. When a person does or say something inappropriate and defends it, then we understand it not to be a mistake, but a reflection of that person.

Well that's tragically ironic.

A

angellous_evangellous

Is this related to the thread, or are you practicing Christianity?

Hey there's actually a thread on which you can post this.

I collect this kind of insult. Usually it's done by other Christians, but I don't mind it coming from you, considering the maturity level.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Okay. I stand corrected (I'm sure that is about as far as you will read); you didn't call me racist. You just implied that I was racist and ethnocentric. Because you only implying it is so much better.
How easily you forget. You stated that the name Jesus is not common in English countries. I explained why. Then you implied that I'm racist, and told me that the United States isn't an English speaking country, and that England isn't even a country.
And here you go again, implying that I'm racist for really not other reason besides me explaining a position you first posed; that English speaking people do not commonly name their kids Jesus.

Godwilling

Organic, kinetic learner
Okay. I stand corrected (I'm sure that is about as far as you will read); you didn't call me racist. You just implied that I was racist and ethnocentric. Because you only implying it is so much better.
How easily you forget. You stated that the name Jesus is not common in English countries. I explained why. Then you implied that I'm racist, and told me that the United States isn't an English speaking country, and that England isn't even a country.
And here you go again, implying that I'm racist for really not other reason besides me explaining a position you first posed; that English speaking people do not commonly name their kids Jesus.
There a few things that I respect about what I know of your assertions:

You appear honest.
You appear to be introspective.
You appear to be searching for information and honest debate while you provide information that you appear honestly to believe to be true.
Please correct me on any of my assertions if you disagree. I do not feel my statements must be true. They are simply my current impressions of your assertions given my very limited knowledge of you as a person.

I did not call you a racist, and I am not calling you one. What people say about others has little to do with the target person and everything to do with the person that makes the statement.

I questioned your choice of words when you stated that the reason the name Jesus is not used in English countries such as "England" and the US is out of respect for their Lord.

I questioned your assertion, because there are many people in the US with the name Jesus to which you replied that they are immigrants who came from "other" cultures.

1)I questioned if you were purposely ignoring the fact that all of the southern states of the US spoke Spanish before English and that some Spanish speaking people there can trace their ancestry to Spaniards that inhabited the place before the existence of the US as a country out or racism, or if you simply did not know it. You have not answered my question, and you appear to have tried to defend your statements instead.

2)I asked you if you knew that there are some people with the name Jesus in England and that England is not itself a country but rather a part of the country called United Kingdom.

I feel that you argued on semantics perhaps not realizing that England is to the UK something similar to what Texas is to the US, Ontario to Canada, Bavaria to Germany, Minas Gerais to Brazil, Nuevo Leon to Mexico etc. In some countries designated portions of the country are called provinces, in others they are called states, in others regions, and in the U.K. they may chose to call it a "country" within a country.

Semantics do not make England a country to our understanding of a country, and that of the UN, any more than Texas a sovereign state, although it is a "state" of sorts.

I respect your opinion whether I hold the same or not for the reasons I stated above, and I have no intention of calling you anything negative, or implying anything negative about you. I asked honest questions because I respect your opinion, and because I felt that your statements warranted the questions. I would have not replied to you if I did not respect your opinion, and I will take your answer at face value. But, you have not yet answered my questions.

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Yes, some Americans speak Spanish. It may have once been the choosen language of the south at one point. Neither actually matter as that does not change the fact that today, the United States is considered an English speaking country.

As for England, it is a country. I have given you more than enough sources proving that.

There a few things that I respect about what I know of your assertions:

You appear honest.
You appear to be introspective.
You appear to be searching for information and honest debate while you provide information that you appear honestly to believe to be true.
Please correct me on any of my assertions if you disagree. I do not feel my statements must be true. They are simply my current impressions of your assertions given my very limited knowledge of you as a person.

I did not call you a racist, and I am not calling you one. What people say about others has little to do with the target person and everything to do with the person that makes the statement.

I questioned your choice of words when you stated that the reason the name Jesus is not used in English countries such as "England" and the US is out of respect for their Lord.

I questioned your assertion, because there are many people in the US with the name Jesus to which you replied that they are immigrants who came from "other" cultures.

1)I questioned if you were purposely ignoring the fact that all of the southern states of the US spoke Spanish before English and that some Spanish speaking people there can trace their ancestry to Spaniards that inhabited the place before the existence of the US as a country out or racism, or if you simply did not know it. You have not answered my question, and you appear to have tried to defend your statements instead.

2)I asked you if you knew that there are some people with the name Jesus in England and that England is not itself a country but rather a part of the country called United Kingdom.

I feel that you argued on semantics perhaps not realizing that England is to the UK something similar to what Texas is to the US, Ontario to Canada, Bavaria to Germany, Minas Gerais to Brazil, Nuevo Leon to Mexico etc. In some countries designated portions of the country are called provinces, in others they are called states, in others regions, and in the U.K. they may chose to call it a "country" within a country.

Semantics do not make England a country to our understanding of a country, and that of the UN, any more than Texas a sovereign state, although it is a "state" of sorts.

I respect your opinion whether I hold the same or not for the reasons I stated above, and I have no intention of calling you anything negative, or implying anything negative about you. I asked honest questions because I respect your opinion, and because I felt that your statements warranted the questions. I would have not replied to you if I did not respect your opinion, and I will take your answer at face value. But, you have not yet answered my questions.