• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus: The parable of the fig tree

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

I found a parallel in Plutarch that is quite interesting to read alongside Jesus' experiences with the fig tree.

"The object of desire is, in fact, pleasure and enjoyment [in sexual intercourse among other things]; while Love [Eros], if it loses the hope of inspiring friendship, has no wish to remain cultivating a deficient plant which has come to its prime [eg, pederasty or loving a young woman], if the plant cannot yield the proper fruit of character to produce friendship and virtue" - Moralia 750e

Plutarch applies the concept to erotic love, whereas Christ applies it to discipleship.

Figs in the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A

angellous_evangellous

Yeah, tom that may be the case but ... I'm more interested in love that produces virtue as the basis of continued friendship rather than personal gain.

The friend who hangs around for personal gain is the client who finds a patron only for his wealth and that's the bad fig tree. The patron and client both could still benefit from each other on the basis of wealth (feeling good in a relationship) but the ideal is that both parties grow in mutual love and virtue (produce fruits of the spirit). The Christian therefore follows Christ for personal enrichment and not benefits of health, wealth, heaven, or other hedonistic purposes - like a dead fig tree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ringer

Jar of Clay
The Christian therefore follows Christ for personal enrichment and not benefits of health, wealth, heaven, or other hedonistic purposes - like a dead fig tree.

That sounds good to me since Christians we are not promised any conveniences this life may offer. After all, it was Jesus that said that the foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head. We are also commanded to take up our cross and deny ourselves. Yet I wonder, without the promise of heaven, if I'd even be a Christian?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Yeah, tom that may be the case but ... I'm more interested in love that produces virtue as the basis of continued friendship rather than personal gain.

The friend who hangs around for personal gain is the client who finds a patron only for his wealth and that's the bad fig tree. The patron and client both could still benefit from each other on the basis of wealth (feeling good in a relationship) but the ideal is that both parties grow in mutual love and virtue (produce fruits of the spirit). The Christian therefore follows Christ for personal enrichment and not benefits of health, wealth, heaven, or other hedonistic purposes - like a dead fig tree.

Interesting...im going to bump this thread. BUMP!