• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus and the fig tree

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As for the fig tree, if it is meant to be symbolic-- as it almost certainly is-- then I don't think it's a rather good symbol. It demonstrates a God that would destroy something for displeasing him, even though it was not in its power to please him.

If it was symbolic - and it almost certainly was - it demonstrates nothing of the kind.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Are you saying that the Bible was mistaken when it says that it was a group of children (in some interpretations) or a group of boys (in other interpretations)?

I think the translations are off. There's obviously a gap between 'children' and 'boys'. But I also don't count it relevant.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
What is obvious is your ignorance of the culture and the language. How would you translate 'yeled' and 'na'ar'?

Yeled - Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon - New American Standard

Na`ar - Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon - New American Standard

As I admitted. I don't know who among us knows the language very well.

They look synonymous to me. But seeing the array of possible definitions, I'd translate them as either 'young men' or 'young males'. Perhaps, assuming you aren't ignorant to the culture as well, you would like to point out the age boundary between young men and men?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
If it was symbolic - and it almost certainly was - it demonstrates nothing of the kind.

Symbolic stories can have more than one interpretation and often will depending upon the audience. I don't see how you can claim that such an interpretation is completely out-of-the-question.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Symbolic stories can have more than one interpretation and often will depending upon the audience.
As can inkblots. Feel free to read into either whatever you wish, but the issue is not the scope of possible eisegesis but the set of reasonable inferences as to intent.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
As can inkblots. Feel free to read into either whatever you wish, but the issue is not the scope of possible eisegesis but the set of reasonable inferences as to intent.

That's fair enough.

Though, my cheeky side does say that maybe God should consider his symbolic stories more carefully.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Someone might ask why he didnt heal the tree and grow him some fruit showing that it is a different message, one showing the nature of the fruits we show and also to show off gods power.

” 21 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done.”