• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus and Judaism

Yerda

Veteran Member
I've got a question.

If as according to Christianity humans are born with the burden of sin and must seek Jesus to be granted access to heaven, what is done with Jewish people who do not believe in Jesus? (Granted that my assumptions about having to believe in Jesus are correct).

If God revealed his will to the Jews first they still go to heaven right? Or do Jews after Jesus fail to meet the heavenly criteria?

And followers of Islam who believe Jesus was a prophet and not the son of God? Are they one-foot-in-one-foot-out material?

This has been bugging me and some answers would ease my brain.

Cheers folk.

Ronald

Please go to the first Testament and look up all of the scriptures on God promising not to forget his Chosen People. You are espousing "Replacement Theology"/Church replaces Israel as the Elect. I ask you if God broke his promises to Israel, what promise to you, will he keep? Paul says "All of Israel shall be saved." Ro. 11:26 They were broken off so you could be grafted in. Don't boast!!!! Ro. 11:19 Israel is looking for the coming of the Messiah.

Ronald brings up a good point, and I applaud him for it. But I was hoping to provide you with a viewpoint from a different angle. I am a Jew turned Atheist, and have a high interest in the religions of the world. The question you ask leads directly to another question: Is Christianity the Answer? I believe it is not, but I also believe Judaism is not. The existence of multiple religions on earth proves, for me, that none are correct. If God does indeed exist, why did he not ensure that his creations had the correct knowledge of religion. A little more clearly, if Christianity is correct, why didn't God make everyone Christian. If Judaism is correct, why isn't everyone Jewish. God's all-powerfullness could have taken care of this with no problem.

In the begining people formulated the beliefs they liked. As time passed, some people didn't like those beliefs and made up new ones for themselves. Now the world is full of hundreds of different religions. Keep in mind I only use Christianity as an example, but if it is the correct one, why is it not even the most popular in the world?

I think there is disagreement in christian theology about this question. As you can see people can take many passages from the bible and 'prove' their point.

Matthew 14:And Jesus went away from there and withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and cried, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely possessed by a demon." But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away, for she is crying after us." He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

If Jesus was sent specifially to the jews as is illustrated in the gospels, then what for? If they are already saved?

Matthew 10: These twelve Jesus sent out, charging them, "Go nowhere among the Gentiles, and enter no town of the Samaritans, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Again, why would Jesus send his disciples only to the jews and none else, not the gentiles, not the samaritans? If Jesus was sent to the jews and they rejected hm for the most part, how is heaven guaranteed?

Again, if jews are already saved, what was the point in sending Jesus?

Yerda

Veteran Member
Thank you for shedding some light people. Still somewhat confused though. I think the last reply summed up my thinking when that person asked, what is the point of sending Jesus if the Jews were already saved?

Although this may be completely incorrect, it does seem that Christians rely on Jesus and the promise of salvation by following him solely to ensure Christianity does not vanish. Without Jesus you'll go to hell so stick with us!

If you're going to believe in this God then why not Judaism? If being Jewish is all you need then other religions appear surplus and useless.

Leadernotfollower, what about the new Bad Religion record!! 8), something else eh?

Ronald

truthseekingsoul said:
Thank you for shedding some light people. Still somewhat confused though. I think the last reply summed up my thinking when that person asked, what is the point of sending Jesus if the Jews were already saved?

So you and all others who believe could be saved!

Although this may be completely incorrect, it does seem that Christians rely on Jesus and the promise of salvation by following him solely to ensure Christianity does not vanish. Without Jesus you'll go to hell so stick with us!
You have that right.

If you're going to believe in this God then why not Judaism? If being Jewish is all you need then other religions appear surplus and useless.
Not everyone is born a Jew! And yes, Idol worship is useless, besides Judaism and the Way, the rest are surplus

Yerda

Veteran Member
You can't become Jewish of you're own choice?

I should probably have paid more attention in RE.