• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus a 400 year old name

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
For anyone that thinks that Jesus is the king of the Jews. Please try to explain how you get by the FACT that the name is only about 400 years old NOT 2000?
so what?
Do you think that he has a problem with being called Jesus?
Somehow i doubt it.
BUt then, the Biblical deity does have some strange particularities...

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Jesus name was actually Yehoshua or Y'Shua(Yeshua). As mentioned earlier, the name Jesus is just a translation.

alexander garcia

Well I have to say that if you claimed, as the self called, so call scholars say that the Jews could not speak or did not speak Hebrew they spoke Greek is the same as saying that in Mexico they don't speak Spainish. Why it makes a difference, It is a LIE! As to the question about Saul being Egyptian. I really don't want to sound mean, but please if you are knowledgable enoff to read verse38 also finish with verse 40 Where the Scripture state that Saul spoke to the people in HEBREW! Now can any of you Bible scholars show where it says they spoke GREEK?

alexander garcia

Names are NOT translated to other languages they are transliterated. The sound of the name is spelt in the other language as it sounds with the others letters that make the same sound. Are you hearing impaired? this is not disrespectfull it is a question. Only a person that can't hear can claim that JESUS sounds like YAHSHUA

Smoke

Done here.
As to the claim that it is the same as Yahshua, just look at the 6th book of your Bible is it the book of Jesus? NO!
It's IHCOUC NAYH. Does that help?

The New Testament was NOT written in Greek!
Yes, it was.

I'm sure you have so look at it and explain Why a Roman Would ask a Hebrew if he could speak Greek? Pretty stupid if that is what he was speaking as the Christians claim.
The New Testament sometimes reports -- in Greek -- conversations that were not in Greek. But it was still written in Greek.

Smoke

Done here.
Names are NOT translated to other languages they are transliterated. The sound of the name is spelt in the other language as it sounds with the others letters that make the same sound.
Nonsense. Pick up a book sometime. English authors are always referring to French kings as Henry, Charles, or Philip; to German emperors as William, Frederick, or Charles; to Russian rulers as Nicholas or Paul or Catherine. People translate names all the time.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well I have to say that if you claimed, as the self called, so call scholars say that the Jews could not speak or did not speak Hebrew they spoke Greek is the same as saying that in Mexico they don't speak Spainish. Why it makes a difference, It is a LIE!

I never said that the Jews didn't speak Hebrew. I meant that some people are bilingual, especially in cultures where the local language isn't the same as the predominant language of the region.

As to the question about Saul being Egyptian. I really don't want to sound mean, but please if you are knowledgable enoff to read verse38 also finish with verse 40 Where the Scripture state that Saul spoke to the people in HEBREW! Now can any of you Bible scholars show where it says they spoke GREEK?

Acts 17:1-4, for one:

1When they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a Jewish synagogue. 2As his custom was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3explaining and proving that the Christ had to suffer and rise from the dead. "This Jesus I am proclaiming to you is the Christ," he said. 4Some of the Jews were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, as did a large number of God-fearing Greeks and not a few prominent women.

Names are NOT translated to other languages they are transliterated. The sound of the name is spelt in the other language as it sounds with the others letters that make the same sound. Are you hearing impaired? this is not disrespectfull it is a question. Only a person that can't hear can claim that JESUS sounds like YAHSHUA
It's pretty close. Closer than "Confucius" and "Kung", anyhow.

Edit: and pretty close to "Zeus pater" and "Jupiter", or "Uther" and "Arthur".

alexander garcia

for all the scholars out there. Just show the verse that states they were speeking Greek. It's that easy. Out of the 12 times that the word GREEK appears in the New Testament only once is it speaking of speech. in Rev. look it up,It is translating to Greek. That is stupid for a person to say look I am writing English. I had to explain that cause some one might claim I am speaking Spanish.

McBell

Alexander Garcia,
Seems you missed it the first time, so I present it again:
For anyone that thinks that Jesus is the king of the Jews. Please try to explain how you get by the FACT that the name is only about 400 years old NOT 2000?
so what?
Do you think that he has a problem with being called Jesus?
Somehow i doubt it.
BUt then, the Biblical deity does have some strange particularities...​

alexander garcia

Can any one show where it states that any one was speaking Greek. No not one! By the way I am writing in English. Pretty stupid of me to say that because you all can see that. It is just the same.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
for all the scholars out there. Just show the verse that states they were speeking Greek. It's that easy.
Right after you show us the original manuscripts of the Epistles written in Hebrew. ;)

But let's go through your claim closely:

- despite the predominant language in the region described in Acts and the Epistles is Greek,
- despite that they describe Paul speaking and proselytizing to Greek gentiles in cities throughout Greece and Cyprus,
- despite the fact that the oldest versions of these books that we have are in Greek,
- despite the fact that all evidence points to these texts being originally written in Greek,

We should reject the possibility that these books were written in Greek... why? Because Paul was a Jew?

alexander garcia

midnightblue take your own advice and look up in a book about names. as you see my name is LEADER OF MEN that is the common translation of Alexander. Does leader of men sound like Alexander?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
for all the scholars out there. Just show the verse that states they were speeking Greek. It's that easy. Out of the 12 times that the word GREEK appears in the New Testament only once is it speaking of speech. in Rev. look it up,It is translating to Greek. That is stupid for a person to say look I am writing English. I had to explain that cause some one might claim I am speaking Spanish.
Well, I'm not a scholar, but even the Great Wiki mentions that there were a number of Jews who spoke Greek at the time of Paul's letters.
History of the Jews in Greece - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally a persecutor of the early Jewish Christians until his conversion on the Road to Damascus, Paul of Tarsus, himself a Hellenized Jew from Tarsus, part of the post-Alexander the Great Greek Seleucid Empire, was instrumental in the founding of many Christian churches throughout Rome, including Asia Minor and Greece. Paul's second missionary journey included proselytizing at Thessaloniki's synagogue until driven out of the city by its Jewish community.
(bolding mine)

alexander garcia

9 10ths I did not ask for a manuscript,but when people can not prove there piont they back up as you have! Here are just a few for you in your own manuscript. Acts 21:37 -21:40 --Acts22:2 Oh Acts 26:14 In the KJV it says JESUS spoke Hebrew. But to answer your pionts. 1Predominant language Writen in Latin Greek and Hebrew. Why three if like you claim it was prodominantly one. 2your claimed Greeks where were they? In the what? in the synagoguen are you claiming that the Greeks use to hang out at the Synagogue? Or where they converts already? 3 you got one right the oldest are in Greek. 4 I don't think that ANYONE claims to have an ORIGINAL manuscript. Do you know of any one that makes that claim? Besides you?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Only a person that can't hear can claim that JESUS sounds like YAHSHUA
If you look in an English Bible, you'll find the book of "James." If you look in a Spanish BIble, that same book is called "Santiago." They don't sound the same at all. You need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
9 10ths I did not ask for a manuscript,but when people can not prove there piont they back up as you have! Here are just a few for you in your own manuscript. Acts 21:37 -21:40 --Acts22:2 Oh Acts 26:14 In the KJV it says JESUS spoke Hebrew. But to answer your pionts. 1Predominant language Writen in Latin Greek and Hebrew. Why three if like you claim it was prodominantly one. 2your claimed Greeks where were they? In the what? in the synagoguen are you claiming that the Greeks use to hang out at the Synagogue? Or where they converts already? 3 you got one right the oldest are in Greek. 4 I don't think that ANYONE claims to have an ORIGINAL manuscript. Do you know of any one that makes that claim? Besides you?
"Synagogue" is a Greek word. I would think that Jewish Greeks hung out in the Greek synagogues, yes.

A synagogue (from Greek: συναγωγή, transliterated synagogē, "assembly"; בית כנסת beit knesset, "house of assembly"; שול or בית תפילה beit tefila, "house of prayer", shul; אסנוגה, esnoga) is a Jewish house of prayer.

McBell

If you look in an English Bible, you'll find the book of "James." If you look in a Spanish BIble, that same book is called "Santiago." They don't sound the same at all. You need to go back to the drawing board on this one.
I agree.
He seems to be grasping at straws.
Perhaps the problem is that he is not actually explaining his problem very well...?
Of course, he is ignoring me so far in this thread.
I wonder why that is............

Smoke

Done here.
midnightblue take your own advice and look up in a book about names. as you see my name is LEADER OF MEN that is the common translation of Alexander. Does leader of men sound like Alexander?
But your name in Greek is Alexandros, not Alexander. Alexander is the English form of that name, just as Jesus and Joshua are both English forms of Jesus' name -- which wasn't Yahshua or Yeshua or Yehoshua, by the way. Jesus spoke Aramaic, not Hebrew.

The New Testament was written in Greek. There's no doubt about that. If you think it was written in Hebrew, show us the Hebrew manuscripts.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You're the one making the claim... I think - you've hinted at things, but you haven't really said what you claim in one coherent statement. As far as I can tell, you're implying that because "Jesus" isn't similar enough with "Joshua", that the New Testament Jesus isn't supposed to be the King of the Jews (and that Jesus is a 16th Century invention? You kinda implied it, but didn't state it explicitly). To support this (and how, I'm not really sure), you've claimed that Acts and the Epistles were originally written in Hebrew.

All I've pointed out so far is that reasonable, plausible alternatives exist to all the claims you've made, so there's no particular reason that we should accept your version. If you want to convince me otherwise, you're free to present whatever evidence or argument you think will do the job.