• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jarring experience

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Came home to find a strange woman trying to get into the neighboring apartment building. She was crying, asking for people that didn't live there. Said she didn't have her key. Said she used to live there. Her mom lived down the street.

I took her to a neighbor who's lived here 25 years. She didn't know any of the names she was dropping. The woman couldn't tell us how old she was. She kept talking about her dad, but said she didn't know his name. She seemed honest, and completely frustrated. Kept crying because she doesn't know anyone anymore. The neighbor went in. I went in. She sat in my front yard and cried some more. Knocked on the door and said she was cold.

I went outdoors with her, and tried to cut to the chase and told her it is indeed getting cold, and she needs a place to stay. Where is she going? She did give me a real location, but didn't have numbers for anyone living there. Her feet hurt. After she goes home, can she come see me again? I tried to brush her off, explain I don't have time for guests due to my son's special needs... My heart wanted to bring her in and let her rest on the couch, offer her dinner, but my head knows that isn't safe, and there are children in the house.

Her loneliness broke my heart...

I mentioned contacting a shelter, and she took that as it was time to go. I watched her shuffle down the road. Later, I saw her swing back around, knocking on doors on the other end of the street. I called the police, and asked if they could help. Because my experiences with the police haven't always been great, I didn't want someone bullying her, but I became worried someone would take advantage of her if she continues to knock on strange doors.

I hope she finds the help and love she needs.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I hope so, too.

I wasn't going to call until I saw her knocking on more doors until my dad brought up she might get herself hurt that way.
Another idea to keep on reserve, maybe try calling the local homeless shelter and just making them aware of what's going on.

There's a chance there might be somebody there who actually cares enough to come out and see what they can do.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Another idea to keep on reserve, maybe try calling the local homeless shelter and just making them aware of what's going on.

There's a chance there might be somebody there who actually cares enough to come out and see what they can do.
I'll call the library tomorrow and ask how I'd get in touch with a shelter to have those numbers on hand. Good idea.