• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jains?

Doktormartini

小虎
Yeah I think Jainism is awesome! In my Eastern Philosphy book, they talk about the Holy Death Fast. It says that a monk should go to a village and beg for straw. With the straw they should find a secluded area and brush away everthing from animals, insects, plants, ants, drops of water...etc and then just sit down and starve themselves to death. This act is not concidered suicide, and is supposed to get rid of all bad Karma or something. It's Hardcore!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am interested tho is there a tendency towards low self-esteem within the belief?
I am not a Jain, but a hindu, though I admire both, Buddha and Mahavir. Mahavir was a complete radical. Why I am replying to this old post is to clear doubts on this point (Pardus may or may not be around).

There is no question of low self-esteem. Jains in India are a prosperous community, they are the most literate of all. They are doing extremely well in business and administrative jobs.

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
I used to be a Jain ascetic. Well as much as I could be. So I was a fruitarian. I'm also the only convert to Jainism I have ever heard of, though I think there is some opera singer who did.