• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jainism and Buddhism

JRMcC

I was viewing the Jainism DIR and I noticed a thread called something like- "Any questions about Jainism?"
I know very little about Jainism. I actually have a book on the subject in my possession, but I don't have any where near enough time to read it. It's hard to explain a spiritual tradition in a single thread, but I think this thread could be helpful for certain people who are are familiar with Buddhism and are curious about Jainism. I'm one of those people of course.
Could anyone here explain what the primary differences between Jainism and Buddhism are?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Some Buddhists state that Jainism believes in the soul, and Buddhists do not. Is that true?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is true. According to Jainism, soul exists and is eternal, in humans as well as in animals. Buddhism denies soul. Buddhism advocates middle path, Jain ascetism is more extreme. Jainism requires vegetarianism even for the leity, buddhism requires that one does not be the cause of death of an animal. Whereas the mention of rebirth, heaven and hell is metaphorical in Buddhism, Jainism believes in rebirth, haven and hell. Wikipedia has nice articles on both, Buddhism and Jainism.The language of Jain scriptures is Prakrit, whereas that of Buddhism is Pali. These were only regional differences as both languages are closely related to Sanskrit. Here is a comparision of Buddhism and Jainism and their differences: Buddhism vs Jainism - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
One difference is that Jainism has remained the same, while Buddhism has changed over time and has many shades but also the same is there somewhere.

imho

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You are not speaking for me and for most of the Buddhists in this world.
IMHO, all religions have remained the same. There are sects everywhere. Hinduism has remained as chaotic as it always was. The two major sects in Jainism are sky-clad (Digambara - monks go naked) and white-clad (Shvetambara - monks wear white shroud).

Jainsects.PNG

Former Indian President Abdul Kalam with a Digambara monk, a women being dressed as a bride before becoming a nun. She will pull out her beautiful locks by hand :(. She will roam barefoot from one city to another and beg for food (actually the laity are delighted to offer food to monks and nuns and consider it an honor), staying at one place only during the four rainy months, so as not to injure any crawling insects which proliferate in that season. Hindu and Buddhist monks also observe this four months stay at one place - Caumasa/caturmasya - four months.

digambara.jpg
bride.jpg

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Anekantavada or Syadavada is a very interesting theory of Jainism. "Anekāntavāda is one of the most important and fundamental doctrines of Jainism. It refers to the principles of pluralism and multiplicity of viewpoints, the notion that truth and reality are perceived differently from diverse points of view, and that no single point of view is the complete truth." (Wikipedia)

Saptabhangi (the theory of seven conditioned predications): Go figure. :D
  1. syād-asti—in some ways, it is,
  2. syān-nāsti—in some ways, it is not,
  3. syād-asti-nāsti—in some ways, it is, and it is not,
  4. syād-asti-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is, and it is indescribable,
  5. syān-nāsti-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is not, and it is indescribable,
  6. syād-asti-nāsti-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is, it is not, and it is indescribable,
  7. syād-avaktavyaḥ—in some ways, it is indescribable.

Last edited:

James Field

IMHO, all religions have remained the same. There are sects everywhere. Hinduism has remained as chaotic as it always was. The two major sects in Jainism are sky-clad (Digambara - monks go naked) and white-clad (Shvetambara - monks wear white shroud).

Jainsects.PNG

Former Indian President Abdul Kalam with a Digambara monk, a women being dressed as a bride before becoming a nun. She will pull out her beautiful locks by hand :(. She will roam barefoot from one city to another and beg for food (actually the laity are delighted to offer food to monks and nuns and consider it an honor), staying at one place only during the four rainy months, so as not to injure any crawling insects which proliferate in that season. Hindu and Buddhist monks also observe this four months stay at one place - Caumasa/caturmasya - four months.

digambara.jpg
bride.jpg
Will non-Jains, such as Hindus or Sikhs, donate food to Jain renunciates ? obviously I don't expect Christians or Muslims to do so; but what about other believers of other Dharmic faiths

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
At least I would not mind. I respect Mahavira hugely for his non-compromising stance on principles and regret that he was not given precedence over Buddha as the ninth avatara of Lord Vishnu. Then Buddha could have been the final and the tenth. Buddha, of course, is my guru.

James Field

At least I would not mind. I respect Mahavira hugely for his non-compromising stance on principles and regret that he was not given precedence over Buddha as the ninth avatara of Lord Vishnu. Then Buddha could have been the final and the tenth. Buddha, of course, is my guru.
Do most Hindus have this respect towards Mahavira and the Buddha ?

JRMcC

Do Jains practice meditation like Buddhists do?

Also to be clear, Jainism holds that it is not attachment that causes suffering but violence?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do most Hindus have this respect towards Mahavira and the Buddha ?
Yes, most Hindus have utmost respect towards all three: Mahavira, Gautama and Nanak.
Do Jains practice meditation like Buddhists do? Also to be clear, Jainism holds that it is not attachment that causes suffering but violence?
"Jain meditation has been the central practice of spirituality in Jainism along with the Three Jewels. Meditation in Jainism aims at realizing the self, attain salvation, take the soul to complete freedom. It aims to reach and to remain in the pure state of soul which is believed to be pure conscious, beyond any attachment or aversion. The practitioner strives to be just a knower-seer (Gyata-Drashta). Jain meditation can be broadly categorized to the auspicious Dharmya Dhyana and Shukla Dhyana and inauspicious Artta and Raudra Dhyana.

Jain meditation is also referred as Samayika. The word Samayika means being in the moment of continuous real-time. This act of being conscious of the continual renewal of the universe in general and one's own renewal of the individual living being (Jiva) in particular is the critical first step in the journey towards identification with one's true nature, called the Atman. It is also a method by which one can develop an attitude of harmony and respect towards other humans and Nature. By being fully aware, alert and conscious of the constantly moving present, one will experience their true nature, Atman."
Jain meditation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All Indian religions value meditation (trying to understand the meaning of their teachings and forming their course of action). Yes, non-violence is the beacon in Jainism.

Last edited:

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
One big difference is the respective notions on karma. Jains consider it a substance, a stuff that can coat one and can be removed by virtue etc. Buddha defined karma as will or intention (cetana). So the Jains focus more on the effect of actions of body, speech or mind, while Buddhists pay attention to motives behind such.

von bek

Then I am sorry. I generally take the Hinayana flavor of Buddhism.

No worries at all. That was over a year ago, anyways. It reads a lot ruder than I intended. Plus, you were speaking for yourself anyways, not anyone else.

I have known you for something like 16 years online, long before RF. I wish you and your family well. You know that when the day (hopefully) comes that I can make it to India, I am sleeping on your couch! ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If you come to India, I will vacate my couch for you. :)
I did not know that we know each other for this long a time! I am grateful for your good wishes.
Waʿalaykumu s-salām. I would not go beyond this because both of us are atheists. :D

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
As I understand it, Jainism and Mahayana Buddhism aren't very different in some of the ways we view Ultimate Reality.

Theravada Buddhism is very analytical though, and historically they disagreed with Jains about their Anekantavada concept.

Theravada is semi-atomist, and it employs atomism in places to try to nail things down. Mahayana is more like Jainism and Hinduism in seeing Ultimate Reality as open-ended and can't be exactly nailed down. The Abhidhamma tradition (the atomism of Theravada) places a huge chasm between Theravada and Jainism though, as they see the universe.

However, to speak generally of Buddhism- Jainism is not very different from us in the non-violence ethic and so on. I actually admire Jainism very much.

Any other questions, and I MIGHT be able to answer them? I've looked at Jainism, but I'm not a practitioner obviously.

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Some Buddhists state that Jainism believes in the soul, and Buddhists do not. Is that true?

I don't think Buddhism disagrees with all ideas of a soul, fundamentally. It would be a difference in emphasis and not in kind for example, to compare Anatta and the Advaitic Atman. Buddhism actually posited several alternate theories to that of the Atman early on. Citta and the Puggala are both that. Buddhism shunned the Atman of the Vedic religion of the time specifically, because it tried to give substantiality to the ego. The Jain Jiva may do that too, but I think that isn't clear. Since Jains hold to Anekantavada, which is fluid and cuts through ego concepts.