• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jainism and Baha'i Faith

Theweirdtophat

I was wondering what The Baha'i have to say about Jainism? Do they consider it a very important religion like some of the others? Do they think Mahavira is an important prophet? What are the differences and similarities between the two?

arthra

Baha'i
I was wondering what The Baha'i have to say about Jainism? Do they consider it a very important religion like some of the others? Do they think Mahavira is an important prophet? What are the differences and similarities between the two?

Thanks for the post!

We had a similar question about four or five years ago... You may review it here:

http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/bahai-vs-buddhism-taoism-and-jainism.100862/

I reviewed our Baha'i Library Forum and didn't see much of a change since the last time I reviewed it.

Jainism has a lot of good teachings and practices... I've met with Jains where I live and studied some of their books.

While Baha'is accept the Buddha as a Manifestation of God... the Writings are silent with regard to Mahavira.

Jains accept the reality of the soul or Atman and practice Ahimsa. Baha'is also acknowledge the reality of the soul and believe we should be kind to all creatures.

They are generally strict vegetarians which I think is commendable. Baha'is also believe vegetarianism will likely be adopted in the future but there is no restriction for us as to diet.

Jains accept a series of Jinas similar to Tirthankaras in Buddhism and we Baha'is accept that there are many Manifestations of God and Prophets ... many of Whom we do not have records.

Jains believe in long cycles of time and we Baha'is also acknowledge vast periods of time:

See:

http://bahai-library.com/momen_encyclopedia_ages_cycles

Some of the differences... Baha'is have no monastic orders; Baha'is believe in God as Creator; Baha'is do not believe in reincarnation.

Theweirdtophat

Thanks for the post!

We had a similar question about four or five years ago... You may review it here:

http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/bahai-vs-buddhism-taoism-and-jainism.100862/

I reviewed our Baha'i Library Forum and didn't see much of a change since the last time I reviewed it.

Jainism has a lot of good teachings and practices... I've met with Jains where I live and studied some of their books.

While Baha'is accept the Buddha as a Manifestation of God... the Writings are silent with regard to Mahavira.

Jains accept the reality of the soul or Atman and practice Ahimsa. Baha'is also acknowledge the reality of the soul and believe we should be kind to all creatures.

They are generally strict vegetarians which I think is commendable. Baha'is also believe vegetarianism will likely be adopted in the future but there is no restriction for us as to diet.

Jains accept a series of Jinas similar to Tirthankaras in Buddhism and we Baha'is accept that there are many Manifestations of God and Prophets ... many of Whom we do not have records.

Jains believe in long cycles of time and we Baha'is also acknowledge vast periods of time:

See:

http://bahai-library.com/momen_encyclopedia_ages_cycles

Some of the differences... Baha'is have no monastic orders; Baha'is believe in God as Creator; Baha'is do not believe in reincarnation.

I wondered why it was silent about Mahavira, and Jainism is older than Buddhism, although slightly. If I'm not mistaken, they think Krishna is a manifestation of God, too. Religions have some monasteries but I always wondered what the Baha'i thought about making monasteries of their own.

arthra

Baha'i
I wondered why it was silent about Mahavira, and Jainism is older than Buddhism, although slightly. If I'm not mistaken, they think Krishna is a manifestation of God, too. Religions have some monasteries but I always wondered what the Baha'i thought about making monasteries of their own.

The Buddha and Krishna are noted as Manifestations.... there is no mention of Mahavira as such in Baha'i sources. I'm speculating here but it may be because Jainism was not widely known or the cause of a civilization as was Buddhism.

As to monasticism....

Bahá'u'lláh calls upon them (monks) to

"give up the life of seclusion and direct their steps towards
the open world and busy themselves with that which will profit
themselves and others".

He also grants them leave "to enter into
wedlock that they may bring forth one who will make mention of
God".

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 195)