• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jack Thompson Blames Videogames for Virginia Tech Shooting.

Ciscokid

I didn't think so much ignorance could be crammed into a video that's less than seven minutes. http://youtube.com/watch?v=weG7A4lTGtg

My opinion is quite obvious, but what do you guys think about this?

Christ why do people do this sort of thing. It was marilyn mansons fault for Columbine as well some people suggested. Sometimes evil people do evil things. If video games cause this sort of thing it would be commonplace........it isn't.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Christ why do people do this sort of thing. It was marilyn mansons fault for Columbine as well some people suggested. Sometimes evil people do evil things. If video games cause this sort of thing it would be commonplace........it isn't.

Exactly. If it was video games then Japan would be a VERY violent place. Have you seen some of the video games that they play over there? Have they EVER had a school shooting because of video games? It's nto the video games that cause it. Video games may give ideas, but it is the person's choice to act on whatever feeling they are getting and in case of mental issues, it's defintley not the video games fault. It's like saying "I blame video games for me going into a manic," with a bipolar person. It just doesn't work; people are quick to find a scapegoat and not actually take the blame on themselves.

Booko

Deviled Hen
You *knew* it was gonna happen someone would say this at some time.

I wonder if Keith Olberman's "Worst Person in the World" segment from last night has made it on to YouTube?

There were some really appalling contenders. NO decent person would have found any of those statements funny.

If you have raw nerves over the VT shooting just now, I would NOT recommend you go listen to what any of those people said. and for that reason, I'm not even gonna repeat it here.

nutshell

Anyone who thinks it's Marilynn Manson or video games that causes these tragedies should read the book (or watch the original movie) Carrie for the real reason. I think Stephen King was prophetic.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Anyone who thinks it's Marilynn Manson or video games that causes these tragedies should read the book (or watch the original movie) Carrie for the real reason. I think Stephen King was prophetic.
Which aspect of Carrie specifically (if you don't mind me asking :) )?

cardero

Citizen Mod
I didn't think so much ignorance could be crammed into a video that's less than seven minutes. http://youtube.com/watch?v=weG7A4lTGtg

My opinion is quite obvious, but what do you guys think about this?

Yes it often makes me wonder what video games Charles Whitman was playing before he went on his killing spree and maybe someone can remember what video games Hitler was passing around to the German Soldiers to prepare them for their rampage.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
People are always looking for a scapegoat. We all know it is not video games, movies, music, or anything else that causes violence, for if that were the case, no one would be left alive in the world.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I don't know about you guys, but playing video games relieves me of stress. I'm not saying I'd shoot someone if my 360 broke up, but... :D

Ðanisty

Yes it often makes me wonder what video games Charles Whitman was playing before he went on his killing spree and maybe someone can remember what video games Hitler was passing around to the German Soldiers to prepare them for their rampage.
Lol...I wonder what video game Jack the Ripper had been playing?

Booko

Deviled Hen

Well, we all know what caused violence in David Koresh...geesh, so let's ban the Bible already!

:sarcastic :sarcastic :sarcastic

Honestly, someone with mental problems who is prone to violence will find a trigger *somewhere.* A jug of milk can be a reason for violence if your thinking is off, as this guy's clearly was.

Booko

Deviled Hen
People are always looking for a scapegoat. We all know it is not video games, movies, music, or anything else that causes violence, for if that were the case, no one would be left alive in the world.

Truth be told, I find watching things blow up in movies helps *defuse* my anger, though I prefer my explosions to be of the not-very-realistic variety where possible.

My best friend swears watching war movies works for her, and I've seen it defuse her anger, so I can't much argue with her about it. And she doesn't much approve of war, the real variety, so I hardly think war movies have inspired her to be militaristic.

Ðanisty

Yeah, personally, playing a good violent video game relaxes me quite a bit. Nothing like making one digital image beat the crap out of another digital image to relieve that tension. I think it's pretty healthy overall.

I have to ask this though because it is something I don't understand. It usually seems like it's the hardcore Christians that put the blame on TV, music, video games...anything they can think of. To me (and of course I'm not a Christian so I wouldn't really know), it doesn't seem like God would be really happy with people trying to pawn their sins off on things like that.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Truth be told, I find watching things blow up in movies helps *defuse* my anger, though I prefer my explosions to be of the not-very-realistic variety where possible.

My best friend swears watching war movies works for her, and I've seen it defuse her anger, so I can't much argue with her about it. And she doesn't much approve of war, the real variety, so I hardly think war movies have inspired her to be militaristic.
Videogames are very theraputic for me. It is a relaxing passtime that I get a great deal of enjoyment out of.

Heavy Metal music has a similiar efffect on me as you describe with things blowing up in movies. I find that whenever I'm really angry, sad or stressed I just pop in a Metal cd and absorb the "energy' that comes out of it. It feels very soothing and calms my emotions.

nutshell

I find Carrie to be about potential destruction or evil that resides within a person. That destruction/evil is also brought to the forefront because of how people treat the person. In Carrie, she had the potential to destroy everything around her, but she was able to repress that until she was pushed over the edge by others.

I believe a lot of these "loners" are people like Carrie. They do what they do because of the bad hand dealt by a society that treats them inferior.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
She was constantly picked on by peers.
Hopefully this isn't too much of a spoiler, but an example is she has her first period, in the gym class showers, early in the book. Being extremely sheltered like she is, she thought she was bleeding to death. The other girls were making fun of her over it. She later snaps and all hell breaks lose.
Her mom is also a very evil woman to sum it up briefly.
I definitly recomend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

I'm gonna go play Call of Duty now, on 360, just to burn a realistic image on my brain, listen to death metal that has a heavy misanthropic theme to it (Manson is too weak for such a task), and maybe in the morning I'll be ready to go shoot 'up a community college. Don't get along with a few people that go thier. They will definitly be my first targets.

Or I could just wack some digital heads off, relieve some stress, and enjoy it the next day.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Ðanisty;798496 said:
I have to ask this though because it is something I don't understand. It usually seems like it's the hardcore Christians that put the blame on TV, music, video games...anything they can think of. To me (and of course I'm not a Christian so I wouldn't really know), it doesn't seem like God would be really happy with people trying to pawn their sins off on things like that.

And you would be correct in this assumption.

Do not put blame where it does not belong. Do not extort or exploit other reasons or other people for your loss of somebody else's life.

HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: The Columbine High School Incident
Pg: 185

Ðanisty

Well, to take that further, cardero, it seems also like trying to fool God into thinking the person who has sinned has not. I would think God would expect everyone to own up to their own sins and recognize when others have sinned rather than trying to make it not a sin at all....I don't know if that made sense. :confused:

cardero

Citizen Mod
Ðanisty;798546 said:
Well, to take that further, cardero, it seems also like trying to fool God into thinking the person who has sinned has not. I would think God would expect everyone to own up to their own sins and recognize when others have sinned rather than trying to make it not a sin at all....I don't know if that made sense. :confused:
The Columbine High School conversation that I documented with GOD was the first introduction to how this BEIng really viewed these kinds of violent acts. Needless to say my understanding and upbringing was severely outmatched against GOD’s view of death (violent or otherwise). Because many people do not feel comfortable confronting these type of “tragedies” most of the chapter was filled with ways to recognize the symptoms and find solutions to these problems in an event to avoid further incidents (I even brought up the video game aspect). The word “sin” was never mentioned.

Ðanisty

The Columbine High School conversation that I documented with GOD was the first introduction to how this BEIng really viewed these kinds of violent acts. Needless to say my understanding and upbringing was severely outmatched against GOD’s view of death (violent or otherwise). Because many people do not feel comfortable confronting these type of “tragedies” most of the chapter was filled with ways to recognize the symptoms and find solutions to these problems in an event to avoid further incidents (I even brought up the video game aspect). The word “sin” was never mentioned.
Well, that's fine. I'm just wondering what God thinks of it. Does God think it's irresponsible to blame things like TV, books, movies, and video games for someone's sin? I'm curious honestly because I don't know. It seems like doing so would be like trying to reduce the sin or pretend it didn't happen.