• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

J. Golden Kimball Quotes

Bishka

Veteran Member
J. Golden Kimball (June 9, 1853 - September 2, 1938) was a prominent and well known leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serving as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy from 1892 until his death in 1938.

He is considered one of the most colorful and beloved of the Church's General Authorities during this (or any) period. In the years since his death, "Uncle Golden" has become an almost legendary character among church members, comparable to what Will Rogers or Mark Twain are to the general American public. (wikipedia biography)

jgold.gif

"When a nephew asked Brother Kimball if he wanted to hear the latest story about him, he responded, "Hell, no! It seems that all the stories told these days are either about me or Mae West!"

"Cut me off from the Church? They can't do that! I repent do damn fast!"

"Some people say a person receives a position in this Church through revelation, and others say they get it through inspiration, but I say they get it through relation. If I hadn't been related to Heber C. Kimball, I wouldn't have been a damn thing in this church."

After giving a blessing to a woman whose pregnancy wa at risk, she was so touched she began to cry. "Now stop your crying, Louise. You're going to be all right.The Lord has never let me down and He won't start now!"

"There are not enough general authorities to do all the thinking for the membership of the Church."

To curb J. Golden's occasional use of cuss words, the brethren prepared a speech for him to read in general conference. Growing frustrated at the podium, he stopped halfway and said, "Hell, Heber, I can't read this damn thing!"

"You men, always marry a woman from Sanpete County. No matter what hard times you experience together, she has seen worse."

:D

Kerrygold

I think this has got to be my favorite quote by J. Golden:

"I believe if I had a house in hell and a house in St. George I'd rent out the one in St. George and live in hell I really would."

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
J. Golden was one cool guy. Seriously, I don't know how he got away with talking the way he did, but I'm glad he did, because now I can say, "Well, an Apostle of God used that word! Why can't I?"

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
J. Golden was one cool guy. Seriously, I don't know how he got away with talking the way he did, but I'm glad he did, because now I can say, "Well, an Apostle of God used that word! Why can't I?"
Love it!