• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's offical. Trump and Biden will be the presidential nominees.

Altfish

Veteran Member
That's why a little refresher-course can help from time to time:

View attachment 89475

I vote for who I want to vote for, not for who I'm pressured to vote for.
Otherwise, what's the point?

Not everyone is under the hypnotic spell of Democrat-or-Republican.
We are where we are because people settled for "the lesser of two
evils" over and over again. Apparently, it hasn't been working.
And how many candidates did the Libertarians get in Congress?
With the unfair electoral system in US (and UK) the lesser parties are not properly represented.

Ignatius A

That's why a little refresher-course can help from time to time:

View attachment 89475

I vote for who I want to vote for, not for who I'm pressured to vote for.
Otherwise, what's the point?

Not everyone is under the hypnotic spell of Democrat-or-Republican.
We are where we are because people settled for "the lesser of two
evils" over and over again. Apparently, it hasn't been working.
Well I think it is important to be realistic. Regardless of whether we like it or not, the possibility of someone other than a Republican or a Democrat winning is infinitesimally small. Someone needs to create a sensible third party that could have an actual chance of winning. Sadly politics has become us vs them. I find very few people on the other side of the political aisle from me that I think genuinely care about whats important to me.

Ignatius A

Fortunately, they're not the only choices we have (see post #39).
What this situation will reveal is how willing people are to
break out of the same-o same-o. It almost seems like a test to
see if people really want things to change.

-
People have to have a reason to change. I dont see many people trying to convince me why I should consider voting for someone across the political aisle from me. I see demonization of opponents on both sides.

Ignatius A

With the unfair electoral system in US (and UK) the lesser parties are not properly represented.
I think it's a characterization to claim the systems are "rigged". There are two options as near as I can figure. First people can join either one of the parties and begin to move the party in a specific way. We have seen this happen with democrats who are decidedly the after left than they were just a few decades ago. The Republicans on the other hand have become more like what liberals used to be in America.

Second start a third party and make a convincing case for your point of view.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think it's a characterization to claim the systems are "rigged". There are two options as near as I can figure. First people can join either one of the parties and begin to move the party in a specific way. We have seen this happen with democrats who are decidedly the after left than they were just a few decades ago. The Republicans on the other hand have become more like what liberals used to be in America.

Second start a third party and make a convincing case for your point of view.
Proportional Representation is the answer.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Even the big tent third parties don't even make a scratch. It's a rigged system to prevent new parties from gaining a proper foothold.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Not to mention that Trump wasn't actually that bad serving as a president.

Maybe not the best ever , but no better or worse than any other that had served.
I definitely agree, but it's just annoying when people who are considering voting third party are fearmongered into voting for someone they don't like. People should only vote for someone they actually support on some level.

Pogo

Well I think it is important to be realistic. Regardless of whether we like it or not, the possibility of someone other than a Republican or a Democrat winning is infinitesimally small. Someone needs to create a sensible third party that could have an actual chance of winning. Sadly politics has become us vs them. I find very few people on the other side of the political aisle from me that I think genuinely care about whats important to me.
Probably won't happen till we get something like ranked choice voting, as it stands to much attention has to be paid to the"base" for any alternatives to matter.

Ignatius A

It makes one wonder as to who actually chooses the nominees.
Indeed. I was especially fascinated by the rise of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. This isn't a partisan attack on either but both came out relative obscurity, especially Obama, to become president. It made wonder the same thing.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I definitely agree, but it's just annoying when people who are considering voting third party are fearmongered into voting for someone they don't like. People should only vote for someone they actually support on some level.
Simple solution.

They are not the ones who can fear monger or dictate on how something goes.

I alone decides who I vote for. Not anyone else.

It's time to fear monger them back.

Ignatius A

Probably won't happen till we get something like ranked choice voting, as it stands to much attention has to be paid to the"base" for any alternatives to matter.
I don't think we need that. What we need are candidates who can make a compelling argument for why I should vote for them. I dont want to vote for trump but will, not because I think trump is the better choice but because Biden has given me no reason to. Having candidate X tell me how lousy candidate Y is isnt a compelling argument for candidate X. I say I am concerned about the southern border being wide open. What's the response? You're a racist. Should I vote for someone who thinks I'm a racist? Convince me I should and I will. The number of candidates will be irrelevant if none of them give a **** about what i think.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Don't be upset then, when many more of you do the same, and you end up with the worst option as your president.
I thought Biden was going to win anyway. I mean, that's what I'm hearing all over the place, so it is surely true. I don't really care one way or the other to be honest. They are both idiots in my estimation.