• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israelis becoming bahá'ís

Steinninn

Viking
I was reading something about Israelis not being able to become bahá'ís because there is no National Spiritual Assembly there. Apparently this is something Baha'u'llah instructed. But why?

People that are of the ethnoreligious group Jew can not become bahá'ís if they want to move to Israel.

Is this true, and if it is, does that mean that I, as a non Jew can not move to Israel as a bahá'í?

arthra

Baha'i
Well actually this has to do with teaching the Baha'i Faith in Israel and goes back to a policy that has been continued since the days of Baha'u'llah.

Here is Letter from the Universal House of Justice that explains:

1995-06-23

The Universal House of Justice has received your email message dated 29 June 1995 and we have been asked to respond.

You have asked how the policy of not teaching Israelis applies in the situation in which you have contact with an Israeli via an "interactive relay chat" (IRC) connection. The House of Justice has not asked the friends to avoid contact with Israelis. When you discover that a person you are in contact with via IRC is an Israeli, you should feel free to maintain friendly contact, but you should not teach the Faith to him. If he has already developed a personal interest in the Faith and seeks more information, you should refer him to the Offices of the Bahá'í World Centre in Haifa.

For your information, the people in Israel have access to factual information about the Faith, its history and general principles. Books concerning the Faith are available in libraries throughout Israel, and Israelis are welcome to visit the Shrines and the surrounding gardens. However, in keeping with a policy that has been strictly followed since the days of Bahá'u'lláh, Bahá'ís do not teach the Faith in Israel. Likewise, the Faith is not taught to Israelis abroad if they intend to return to Israel. When Israelis ask about the Faith, their questions are answered, but this is done in a manner which provides factual information without stimulating further interest.
With loving Bahá'í greetings,

Department of the Secretariat

and this Letter:

Whenever an Israeli citizen living in the West, irrespective of
his background and religious affiliation, declares his belief
and interest in becoming a member of the Bahá’í community ,he
should be informed that the Faith is not taught in Israel and that
there is no Bahá’í community there apart from those who are associated
with the Bahá’í World Center. He cannot be accepted into
the Bahá’í community if he is planning to return to Israel to reside
there.

If he plans to continue to reside outside Israel, his enrollment
can be accepted, but he will then be subject to the same restrictions
about travel to Israel as any other Bahá’í, in that he could do
so only with the express permission of the Universal House of Justice.

In any event, the Universal House of Justice should be informed
of any such declaration.

Letter from the Universal House of Justice, dated October 20, 1994,
to several National Spiritual Assemblies

Direct teaching of the Baha'i Faith is not done in the Holy Land.

Also when Baha'is visit the Holy land they must gain permission of the House of Justice.

- Art

Darz

From my understanding there is also an agreement between the Baha'i Faith and the government of Israel. Although, I'm not quite sure what that agreement entails.

Steinninn

Viking
"However, in keeping with a policy that has been strictly followed since the days of Bahá'u'lláh, Bahá'ís do not teach the Faith in Israel"

These letters are from 1994 and 1995. Does anyone have a letter about this from the days of Bahá'u'lláh?

arthra

Baha'i
This is my own personal view:

I don't know that there is a "letter" but remember the early Baha'is in Akka were imprisoned in an Ottoman penal colony and being in a Muslim country also they were obliged not to teach openly there...so over time this became the rule even undwer the British protectorate later and when the new state of Israel was founded which by the way has provisions against any proselytizing activity and such. Baha'is are sensitive to these issues and so it is a delicate point. Israelis are not encouraged to become Baha'is in Israel.

- Art

Very an interesting thread! I've struggled with the question for years... Here is my understanding:

In this day, there are two processes going hand in hand:

1) The disintegration of the Old World Order
2) The integration of the New World Order

Let's concentrate on number 2). God is changing society toward the Lesser Peace. This has nothing to do with Baha'is. We can see it today with the financial crisis. When the world is faced with such a crisis, the world has to react and take decisions which are closer and closer with the Baha'i ideal, with one worldwide currency and so on. Baha'is also have a role to play to bring the Most Great Peace, but let's face it: God's share of the work is much much bigger than ours.

Once we understand this, that it isn't just Baha'is out there, but that there is also God's Major Plan at work, then one asks, what is God's Major Plan? Part of that plan is that Jews should return to Israel. This is to fulfil a prophecy. In fact, some very religious Jews are against all the recent Jewish immigration to Israel, since they think that this should only happen AFTER the Messiah has come. So, God's Major Plan takes precedence over anything else Baha'is are trying to do, and we're not here to "mess it all up".

But there is more to this discussion. For example, when Shogghi Effendi asked the Baha'is living in Israel (I'm talking about the children of Baha'is who had come with Baha'u'llah to the Holy Land, not about native Israelis, since there has ALWAYS been a policy of not teaching in Israel) to leave Israel during the 10 year crusade, he was clearing the way for the UHJ. In the days of Abdul' Baha, I could imagine how the local Baha'is would have visited him on a regular basis. I wish I knew where I could check this out to sound more convincing, but I can imagine that during the time of Shogghi Effendi, it was similar. The local Baha'is had their sense of entitlement, of being allowed to visit the Master (and then, the Guardian). Also, the local Baha'is had their share of covenant breakers.

Think of the first UHJ. It had to grow as an Institution, and It had to shape the BWC. Imagine a local Baha'i demanding/expecting to work at the World Center. It might even seem right. Why spend money to bring Baha'is from all over the world to Haifa when you have locals? But this just isn't the BWC. The BWC is not a bunch of Israelis. The BWC is a glimpse of the kind of world we're talking about when we say that we are all waves of one ocean, and leaves of one tree. In this way, the fact that there were no local Baha'is in Israel enabled the UHJ to build the BWC without being distracted by the formation of the Israeli Baha'i community. To me it is obvious that the BWC will remain like this, an international body with volunteers/workers from all over the world. But would it have been clear to me 40 years ago, when it all started?

I think the task of the Baha'is at the BWC is actually very beautiful. They're asked NOT to spend time to teach Israelis, because this way, they can concentrate all their efforts on serving the Baha'i worldwide community.

There is also the political situation. Baha'is are asked not to take part in party politics. But there are new Baha'is all over the world, and none of us are perfect. What if a local Israeli Baha'i made the wrong statement, at the wrong time? The consequences of this type of mistake could be much more profound when made in Israel, as opposed to other countries. There is a lot at stake in Israel for Baha'is. There are the Shrines, that we obviously can't move to another country. There is the BWC. There are the pilgrims, which are such an important part of our Faith.

If you've read this far, I hope you got my point: I think there is a lot of wisdom in the current situation. I'd like to add, I don't think we need to worry about Israelis. Their time will come. Then they will be the envy of the world.