• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isn't reality weird?

raw_thought

Regardless of your religion, or lack of religion isn't reality weird?
Consider the mind boggling size of the universe (over 100,000,000,000 stars per galaxy and over 100,000,000,000 galaxies). Creation is awesome ( I hate how "full of awe" became a stupid word. Similarly, "sublime" meant beautiful,grand and terrifying, like a volcano or the vastness of space.* Unfortunately, the spiritual is constantly being co-opted by the mundane.).
Quantum mechanics is so weird and beautiful as is the big bang. Evolution,is amazing! Billions of years of struggle creates a living being whose brain is more complicated than the entire world's telephone system! That brain sorts over 100,000,000,000 nerve messages a second! What is the result of such an engineering marvel?. To worry about such things as the price of toilet paper!!
Imagine the big bang, the elements being formed, galaxies and planets. The outcome of all that? An episode of Jersy Shore, rubber poop for playing jokes, Bobby Sherman lunch pails...That such comically mundane things can have such an illustrious pedigree is weird!!! One can draw a direct line of cause and effect from the big bang to such silly objects.
Ironically, such absurdity adds to the surreal sublimity of the event called our universe.
* Now people use the word in such sentences as "isn't that chocolate sublime?"

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Consider the mind boggling size of the universe (over 100,000,000,000 stars per galaxy and over 100,000,000,000 galaxies). Creation is awesome ( I hate how "full of awe" became a stupid word. Similarly, "sublime" meant beautiful,grand and terrifying, like a volcano or the vastness of space.* Unfortunately, the spiritual is constantly being co-opted by the mundane.).
Quantum mechanics is so weird and beautiful as is the big bang. Evolution,is amazing! Billions of years of struggle creates a living being whose brain is more complicated than the entire world's telephone system! That brain sorts over 100,000,000,000 nerve messages a second! What is the result of such an engineering marvel?. To worry about such things as the price of toilet paper!!
Imagine the big bang, the elements being formed, galaxies and planets. The outcome of all that? An episode of Jersy Shore, rubber poop for playing jokes, Bobby Sherman lunch pails...That such comically mundane things can have such an illustrious pedigree is weird!!! One can draw a direct line of cause and effect from the big bang to such silly objects.
Ironically, such absurdity adds to the surreal sublimity of the event called our universe.
People can see the same things, and one see God and the other only their own limits of mind. There is a wonderful quote I feel fits well with what is behind what you are expressing.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead —his eyes are closed. The insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion. To know what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms—this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.”

~ Albert Einstein, Living Philosophies

4consideration

Premium Member

Yes. I think so. :)
That is one way to look at it.

Another way one may see it is that the mundane is the condensation of spirit, a physical manifestation of it, and that the mundane contains far more information than it may seem at first glance.

I think we can easily get distracted by things that are meaningless to us, in our own lives.

I think there are many ways, and many perspectives from which to view the world. Some use a telescope, some use a microscope, some simply open their eyes and see what is there without preconception, some simply close their eyes and look only within...some decide what is already there and then look. My guess is that we all do some of that (metaphorically) throughout our lives -- in different situations and on different subjects.

I think God/the Universe/All that Is has a sense of humor. I think it is paradox.

I have a hard time (personally) seeing value in shows like Jersey Shore. That's why I've never watched one. I can't stand it long enough to get through an episode. I don't need to. I can simply not focus on it. I can focus on something else.

Rubber poop can be anything from completely not funny to me, to hilarious -- depending on the situation and my mood at the time. It doesn't have that much to do with the rubber poop, really. I think it's my own shift in perspective.

Much can be found in the smallest of things -- if we look closely enough and use the right tools.

I'm also remembering the Hubble Telescope pictures from pointing and filming "nothing" out there -- and how much grandness is really there that was not previously seen as such.

It really is (I think) largely a matter of perception, what we choose to focus upon and what tools we employ while looking.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Nope, it isn't weird. Reality is absolutely stunning. I can't help but to look up at the night sky and just imagine how expansive the universe truly is. :)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
It's not weird in the general use of the word - differentiate. Considering that there are no more realities to compare it to.

Interesting, on the other hand, it is to us because we honestly have no clue of the works.

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
I often marvel at the immense wonder and mystery that is reality. Nothing surpasses meditating under the night sky, covered by a blanket of cosmic splendor, bathed by the light of the moon.

4consideration

Premium Member
I often marvel at the immense wonder and mystery that is reality. Nothing surpasses meditating under the night sky, covered by a blanket of cosmic splendor, bathed by the light of the moon.

I think that is beautiful

I find it so interesting that reality can function as a constant and basis for referring back to whenever it's time for a shift in perspective -- yet at the same time be experienced so differently for so many people -- and even experienced so differently for one individual, depending on the perspective chosen by that person in that moment.

I think the universe is amazing. It's my personal belief that every new scientific achievement leads us closer to God. A blessing in the form of new understanding, I suppose.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well it was certainly more understandable in the past,
120759d1384048437-how-did-animals-make-back-islands-ancient-hebrew-view-universe.png

before science stepped in and messed up everything with its discoveries. :banghead3
srep00793-f2.jpg

Ah, the simpler times. How they're missed.
Dorothea_Lange_3_zps684da809.jpg

A bottle of cold Coke in one hand and a burning Chesterfield in the other

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Well it was certainly more understandable in the past,
120759d1384048437-how-did-animals-make-back-islands-ancient-hebrew-view-universe.png

before science stepped in and messed up everything with its discoveries. :banghead3
srep00793-f2.jpg

Well, that's just the thing. The ancients were impressed and marveled at that very simple model. The reality is way more grand than they could ever imagine.