• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Isn't putting a gender on God...

horizon_mj1

Omnipotence is about being able to do anything. Self-identifying as a male or female personality should not logically put any boundaries on a god's power. That would imply that a god or goddess could make themselves more powerful just by abandoning their gender identity. What sense would that make? Name something that a god (who self-identifies as a male personality) would not be capable of doing solely because of his gender identity.

There may or may not be a "need" for such a label, but the use of a label would not be any obstacle for anything either.
Is it They who put a gender on Them or is it Humans who place the gender implications?

horizon_mj1

I suppose it could be seen as such, if one took the idea of God having a gender absolutely literally, and presumed that said gender was permanent, fixed, and incapable of shift.

The issue of omnipotence entirely aside, though, that seems like it would be a pretty poor theology. Personally, I have never met anyone who would claim to espouse such a flimsy and shallow theology.

How is it any more shallow than a person identifying themselves as one gender or another (no matter what your sexual orientation is)? Have you not ever heard of someone being offended by being identified as the incorrect gender in which they identify themselves?

horizon_mj1

English doesn't have a genderless pronoun unfortunately. Well I guess we could use "it" but most people get upset when I refer to God as an it. Sometimes I go with he/she but sometimes I just get lazy.
I know. The lack of a genderless pronoun to me is disturbing especially being our language has been around for quite some time.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I know. The lack of a genderless pronoun to me is disturbing especially being our language has been around for quite some time.

There are groups and people who have come up with gender-neutral pronouns but they tend to be a bit unwieldy, imo. So we have "they" and "it". "They" is your best choice.

horizon_mj1

The OP actually doesn't specify which 'god' we are talking about.
It is in my opinion that: God being the Creator of the Universe and Angels are the Gods in which are named and given different jobs to do. Such as in the Book of Enoch.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It is in my opinion that: God being the Creator of the Universe and Angels are the Gods in which are named and given different jobs to do. Such as in the Book of Enoch.

So, the Torah God. but I'm not just referring to angels, in the Bible the Hebrew word for god is literally the same when other gods are being referenced, it is the same way we use the title.
We know which god is being referred to by context.

horizon_mj1

So, the Torah God. but I'm not just referring to angels, in the Bible the Hebrew word for god is literally the same when other gods are being referenced, it is the same way we use the title.
We know which god is being referred to by context.
So is it in your opinion that every God referenced by every different religion is not the same?

Levite

Higher and Higher
How is it any more shallow than a person identifying themselves as one gender or another (no matter what your sexual orientation is)? Have you not ever heard of someone being offended by being identified as the incorrect gender in which they identify themselves?

Yes, I believe it is more shallow than that. Human beings have physicality. They are born with genders. I have no problem with people choosing to identify with other genders, or even choosing to literally change their gender. But it also makes innocent errors infinitely more understandable than in the case of a being that has no physicality nor was ever born, and thus can have no gender in the sense that we do.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
So is it in your opinion that every God referenced by every different religion is not the same?

Hmm okay I see what you mean.....no, I don't. I think that's a modern understanding, after various 'gods' fell out of favour.
It's interesting reading about how things occurred say in ancient Greece or rome, concerning their deities, they were real to many people, so, back to your question, there are female goddesses that fulfilled roles the male gods didn't.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
there are female goddesses that fulfilled roles the male gods didn't.

Yes. In my view of Satanism, the two main Spirits/Gods/whatever you wish to call Them are Satan and Lilith. It's not so much that Satan can do things Lilith can't or vice versa, it's more to provide a balance of masculine and feminine energies.

horizon_mj1

Yes, I believe it is more shallow than that. Human beings have physicality. They are born with genders. I have no problem with people choosing to identify with other genders, or even choosing to literally change their gender. But it also makes innocent errors infinitely more understandable than in the case of a being that has no physicality nor was ever born, and thus can have no gender in the sense that we do.

I am not in any way truing to be offensive, but have you met the Allmighty; and if not, how can you claim there is no physicality? Omnipotence would allow for any form of existence at any given time to be accomplished. As far as being "born" is that not just another term understood by humanity?

horizon_mj1

Yes. In my view of Satanism, the two main Spirits/Gods/whatever you wish to call Them are Satan and Lilith. It's not so much that Satan can do things Lilith can't or vice versa, it's more to provide a balance of masculine and feminine energies.

Thank you for that input;) So in reflection to Judaism, are Satan and Lilith comparable to Adam and Eve? (I realize this is not your religion, but just thought I would ask).

Last edited: