• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islamists Denounce Wold Cup as 'evil.'

This was the front page headline of the "DAWN" Metropolitan yesterday.

It claimed The World Cup was distracting muslims ffrom their duty of Jihad - especially young muslims.

Also the World Cup fostered such "Western" vices as prostitution which rose in Germany during the games.

I have absolutely no idea what an "Islamist" is.

I d like some other opinions - anyone following Thw World Cup? Is it corrupting?

I think from an Islamic 'political' perspective it can reinforce the hollow categories placed upon the Ummah by colonial and mandatory powers, thus dividing it and causing endless more sources of fitnah than we would have had to deal with anyway. From the perspective of sport, health is good and to be lauded. I think that saying that football is 'evil' is a little beyond. I seem to recall a hadith relating to two ethiopians engaging in sport in Al Yathrib, and the prophet approving of it.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Obsessing over anything can be bad for you, a sports game that you follow too closely included. Everything in moderation, eh wot, even religion as the Prophet (pbuh) said when he warned against extremists. :>

And I think Islamist seems to be a media term for Muslim fanatics. :S I'm not exactly sure, but all the times I've heard Islamist (when it wasn't being used as an ignorant slur) was to refer to the fanatic groups of Islam that murder innocents and generally go against Islam.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
jamaesi said:
Obsessing over anything can be bad for you, a sports game that you follow too closely included. Everything in moderation, eh wot, even religion as the Prophet (pbuh) said when he warned against extremists. :>

I agree. For me, i'm watching this world cup competion closely and football doesn't have any relationship with religion or race unless someone let watching these matches more important than his obligation and duties toward God, family and definitely, himself.

john313

warrior-poet
playing soccer would actually help with the real jihad. part of the real jihad is a healthy body and mind. physical exercise is good for both. exhausting the physical body is great for meditation.

peace

Matt

I'm a Christian, so my Knowledge on Islam is very limited, but did'nt the prophet Mohammed compete in Wrestling?

There have been numerous Islamic Athletes who have been wonderful role models.
There is nothing wrong with events such as the World Cup, i'ts the behaviour of certain individuals in attendance that is questionable. :soccer: :soccer: :soccer:

AbuQuteiba

A reply to John313 and Matt:

I think the thread, or the question, is referring to the actual event itself, the World cup. Theres a huge difference between conducting physical exercise, for the benefit of ones self, and wasting ones time by watching sports throughout the day.