• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam & extremism

I have a question, or enquiry which has been on my mind for some time.

It is claimed that Islam has been "hi-jacked"-as if such a thing were possible! Yet I find myself taken aback by the images of extremism and fanaticism portrayed by the media.

Is Islam just going through a phase, just like Christianity did with the witch hunts of the Middle Ages and the Catholic Inquisition in Spain?

Or are there really grounds for the fanatical interpretation embedded within the Holy Quran?

Is it just a matter of (mis) interpretation?

egroen

Is Islam just going through a phase, just like Christianity did with the witch hunts of the Middle Ages and the Catholic Inquisition in Spain?
Gosh, I certainly hope so.

Or are there really grounds for the fanatical interpretation embedded within the Holy Quran?

Is it just a matter of (mis) interpretation?
Just as in the Bible, there are grounds for fanatical iterpretation when taken as literal and innerant. I only hope Islam is able to 'progress' from this rigid way of thinking as much of christianity has.

The middle east held the dawn of civilization and was the most enlightened area of the world for centuries and centuries. Now it is a hotbed for ignorance, fanaticism and war. I hope this changes sometime in my lifetime... I have yet to visit my family in Iran.

-Erin

Matt

I am a Christian and i certainly don't believe that terrorists or extremists represent the fundamental beliefs of Islam. Follow the teachings of the Quran and do what's right as a muslim, and you yourself should be happy in the knowledge that you yourself are a good muslim.