• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam and masturbation

love

tri-polar optimist
I am beginning to study Islam, and therefore have questions. My understanding is that Islam allows under certain circumstances, such as being away from your wife for periods beyond your control, that a man is allowed to take a temporary wife even if just for one night to relieve the urge. Is this more exceptable than masturbation?

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
What you are reffering to is called a mu'tah marriage. It is a temporary marriage of convinience. However, this type of marriage was declared haram/unlawful by the Rasulullah (saw). It is no longer allowed. In the unfortunate event that he should be without his wife for an unreasonable amount of time, he may be able to take another wife depending on the surrounding circumstances. If it's way too long he may consider divorcing his wife so that she will be released from him. Like in the case of extended incarcerations. If a husband will be locked up for let's say the next 15 years the wife is not obliged to stay married to him. The reason is that by default he is not seeing to the fulfillment of her rights to be taken care of etc, regardless of the fact that it's beyond his control.

All this will be highly circumstantial though, and each individual case would have to be considered. The mu'tah marriage is forbidden in all cases though. There is no circumstance to my knowledge that allows it.

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
I agree with FVM, that this temporary marriage (muta' marriage) is forbidden in any case...

About masturbation, I think (but not sure) that it is forbidden too, except in such the case you described..
So if you feel you cant help it, and you are going to make a sin (adultery or something) then you can masturbate in order not to make that sin...

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Maturbation is also haram, but if one had to choose between that and zina I've got masturbation. Even though it is haram it is a little less than the other which involves inducing someone else to engage in haram activities along with you. Personally I would avoid both because not only are they haram, masturbation is kinda lame to me.

love

tri-polar optimist
Fullyveild, it was my thoughts too, that just because of our own weakness why should we involve someone else. But I have read that Mu'tah marriage is still practiced in some places.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
This may sound irreverent, but ... how exactly do they enforce the no-wanker law? Especially in this country, with limited search-and-seizure?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
sojourner said:
This may sound irreverent, but ... how exactly do they enforce the no-wanker law? Especially in this country, with limited search-and-seizure?

"Ye shall know them by the smile on their faces." --- First book of Sunstone