• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Islam and Civilization

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
There is a question I want to ask Muslims here (others are welcome to weigh in if they choose). I think I remember taking courses in world history and learning about Islam's early years. IIRC, Muslims built schools to educate both boys and girls, they took an interest in ancient texts and scientific development, and gave to charity. They also nursed the sick to health and gave to the poor. I lost the textbook that I had from my university. Can anyone recommend a good book ( or more) on the history of Islam and the positive contributions that Muslims made to civilization?

Rational_Mind

Ahmadi Muslim
There is a question I want to ask Muslims here (others are welcome to weigh in if they choose). I think I remember taking courses in world history and learning about Islam's early years. IIRC, Muslims built schools to educate both boys and girls, they took an interest in ancient texts and scientific development, and gave to charity. They also nursed the sick to health and gave to the poor. I lost the textbook that I had from my university. Can anyone recommend a good book ( or more) on the history of Islam and the positive contributions that Muslims made to civilization?

Here are some:

Books:
Renaissance of the 12th Century by C.H. Haskins.

Capital Cities of Islam by Phillip K. Hitti.

Arabic Thought and the Western World by E.A. Myers, NY.

Arabic Thought and its Place in History by De Lacy O’Leary

Studies in the History of Medieval Science, by C.H. Haskins, 1924

Articles:
Islamic contributions to Medieval Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How-Europe-came-to-forget-Arabic-heritage

Medical-Breakthroughs-in-Islamic-Medicine

Islam-and-Science-Concordance-or-Conflict

Muslims in Spain

science-and-technology-in-ottoman-sultanate

Europes Debt to the Islamic World

Civilization in Muslim Spain

Websites:

Islam Quran Science

Muslim Contributions to Science

Arab-Islamic science

These are all the free resources I could find. A lot of the good Encyclopedia's and books are not available online. I know there is a lot of content in Encyclopedia Britannica. If you lookup Islam and Science in the library you should be able to pull a lot of results. There are also a whole lot of Books as references in these articles. The list is pretty much endless. Pretty much every book of History covers the information.

I am just providing a starting point.

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
Here are some:

Books:
Renaissance of the 12th Century by C.H. Haskins.

Capital Cities of Islam by Phillip K. Hitti.

Arabic Thought and the Western World by E.A. Myers, NY.

Arabic Thought and its Place in History by De Lacy O’Leary

Studies in the History of Medieval Science, by C.H. Haskins, 1924

Articles:
Islamic contributions to Medieval Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How-Europe-came-to-forget-Arabic-heritage

Medical-Breakthroughs-in-Islamic-Medicine

Islam-and-Science-Concordance-or-Conflict

Muslims in Spain

science-and-technology-in-ottoman-sultanate

Europes Debt to the Islamic World

Civilization in Muslim Spain

Websites:

Islam Quran Science

Muslim Contributions to Science

Arab-Islamic science

These are all the free resources I could find. A lot of the good Encyclopedia's and books are not available online. I know there is a lot of content in Encyclopedia Britannica. If you lookup Islam and Science in the library you should be able to pull a lot of results. There are also a whole lot of Books as references in these articles. The list is pretty much endless. Pretty much every book of History covers the information.

I am just providing a starting point.

That's one heck of starting point! It's also very much appreciated! Thank you! :)