• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ISKCON and "Hindu"

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What is the difference between the ISKCON Hare Krishnas and 'mainstream' Hinduism? The only surface difference that I see is that they believe Krishna is the source of all deities and incarnations whereas most other Hindus think Parabrahman isthe supreme God and is formless. But Vaishnavas, Shaivaites and Shaktiites think Vishnu, Shiva or Durga are the supreme. respectively.

Another thing I don't like about Hare Krishnas is the Ratha Yatra where they push and shove each other out of the way for fruit prasad. I personally found it embarassing.

What else makes ISKCON differ from Mainstream Hinduism?
It's not just ISKCON. We have many schools, and regional differences. There is no 'mainstream' just a conglomerate of many schools. One could just as easily ask how Hinduism in Guyana is different than Hinduism of Sri Vaishnavism in Andhra Pradesh.

Shantanu

Vaishavism traditionally was about God as someone who preserves and generates harmony for the individual and for society. He is also the Saviour who protects his devotee. When we talk about ISKCON they do not relate to God in the same way. They follow the Krsna as narrated about in the Bhagavad Gita and is an object of worship. So it is not mainstream in the sense that in ISKCON God is not generally known as someone who could take a great intrinsic part in ones life in guiding and protecting the individual if one surrenders to God. Sri Krishna is this God who one can relate to on an individual basis.