• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Unitarian Universalism a dying Faith?

applewuud

When I first came to the church, I wasn't welcomed. There were nice people there, but they did not approach me. And it wasn't hard to miss me: I was the only Asian in the entirety of the congregation!....

I didn't get that community feeling as much in the Unitarian church. Lots characterise Unitarians as cold, intellectual, atheistic, older, white, and well-off. I am Asian, young, walking the line between poverty and low-income, and theistic.

And i just joined the choir. But as much as I love singing, I feel that I should be in the congregation, getting to know people personally, and visitors and guests. The choir gets a special place (there's a choir place above the pews) above everyone else in the church, and I feel that I am not needed there.

I'm sorry people didn't greet you when you first came to church. But it's not uncommon; I've visited lots of UU churches and was left to myself, largely. It's not unfriendliness, it's more like shyness. Individual UUs don't want to seem "pushy" about their religion. We don't have the evangelical habit. Which is one of the reasons we're not growing so much.

On the other hand, I'm not sure all people appreciate being "buttonholed" when they're checking out a church. I appreciated being able to sit in a back pew by myself at first. UUs tend to think if you like what we have to offer, you'll keep coming, and make your way in.

Which is not accurate for a lot of people. Go up to newcomers and greet them honestly--without trying to get them to join a committee right away!:no:

RFOG, as far as "dying faith" is concerned, the big issue is the lack of young adults joining churches of any type. UUs in particular are a steadily-aging population. The church I'm in now has almost no children in it, only one or two people under 40. That's a real problem for the future.

Projections from one study say that by 2020, only 15% of Americans will be active in a Christian church. "Non-religious" is the growing faith.

Last edited:

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
As for me, I don't think Unitarian Universalism is dying, but rather slowly growing. And I agree with JohnathanCid....I LOVE UNITARIAN UNIVERSALISM, AND EVEN IF IT DIES OF UNPOPULARITY, I'M DOWN WITH IT! EVEN IF IT FADES FROM EXISTENCE, I'LL STILL BE AN ADHERENT! UU 4 EVER.