• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is TV News A Joke?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you think TV News is a joke today?

Is it vitally important to you to know what's going on in the latest sensational murder trial or how many car chases there were today?

Are some TV news stories grossly over reported while other TV news stories are grossly under reported?

Are you happy with the priorities set by TV news for what is or isn't important news worth covering?

Are there better sources of news than the TV?

If there is a problem with TV news, is it the fault of the medium itself? Does the medium of television lend itself to creating such problems?

Should TV get out of the news business?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Sunstone said:

Is it vitally important to you to know what's going on in the latest sensational murder trial or how many car chases there were today?

Are some TV news stories grossly over reported while other TV news stories are grossly under reported?

Are you happy with the priorities set by TV news for what is or isn't important news worth covering?

If there is a problem with TV news, is it the fault of the medium itself? Does the medium of television lend itself to creating such problems?

i have differeng oppinions on the news presentations, i find the BBC news to be the best for presentation, it's formal yet still accessable, where as channel 4 news has that weird guy who shouts at everyone who he disagrees with, ITV can be alright, but it just seems to "breakfast, coffee, death on the streets, would you like a bagel with that?"

channel 5 i don't watch, and i haven't skipped through any other selection, i approve too much of the BBC :)

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I haven't watched an entire half hour network or local station new cast in more than a decade:eek:, so I bet you can guess what I think of 'em. ;)

I think I can sum up all your questions with one example.

Many years ago when LA Law was on, our local NBC station broke in at 10:55 PM interrupting the last 2 minutes of a particularly dramatic episode to tell us that Atlantan Evander Holyfield had just won a boxing title.:rolleyes:

First, a lot of people, myself included, do not give a rat's posterior end about that pseudo sport, and Second they would have lost NOTHING by waiting until 11:00 to air the footage which consisted of people milling around and yelling behind the reporter on camera.

The uproar was immediate and intense with angy fans calling and writing the station and the network. The next day and the next Thursday before the next episode of LA Law, the station's general manager went on camera during what should have been local ads to apologize for his station's poor judgement in cutting into a top ranked show:thud: and aired the pre-empted segment before the new episode aired.

Anyway, at least speaking for the Atlanta stations, from their ads for local news, they seem to over emphasize local celebrities while overlooking more important stories.

I watch CNN and Fox News then read several on line sources to try and get different accounts of the same story. Each service seems to have its own bias so using multiple sources tends to allow you to filter those biases a little better.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I only watch CNN with Soledad O'Brien--because she is so gorgeous! :) :) :)

(Glen: I bet you thought I was going to use this opportunity to trash George W. Bushtard again. Well, I did consider doing so. ;) )

A

angellous_evangellous

Yes.

Nope.

Yep.

Nope.

Yes.

Of course it does.

No. Stupid people watch TV. We cannot forgo such a useful way to control the masses.

kateyes

Sunstone]Do you think TV News is a joke today?--yes

Is it vitally important to you to know what's going on in the latest sensational murder trial or how many car chases there were today?--not only is it not vital-I am not even sure it is healty.

Are some TV news stories grossly over reported while other TV news stories are grossly under reported?-yes and I resent the fact that someone else is deciding for me what I should and should not know about an issue or story.

Are you happy with the priorities set by TV news for what is or isn't important news worth covering?--nope see above.

Are there better sources of news than the TV?--I actually try to use mix--tv, internet, newspapers.

If there is a problem with TV news, is it the fault of the medium itself? Does the medium of television lend itself to creating such problems?--I don't know exactly when things began to change--maybe with programs like 60 minutes, or when the news anchors became personalities vs reporters (think Good Morning America before they hired David Hartman--an actor). For some insight on how things used to be watch "Good Night, Good Luck".

Should TV get out of the news business? no I think they should get back into the news business--and not consider the news as Entertainment.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Sunstone]Do you think TV News is a joke today?

no it is too serious a problem for that.

The BBC tries to be fair, but is still subject to establishment prejudices.

News casts that I see from the USA are all prejudice, Inter-dispersed with Fact and fiction in a scatter gun approach.

Most news today, Is the mouthpiece of some power broker or other,
and can not be Identified as "TRUTH"

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
kateyes said:
Sunstone]Do you think TV News is a joke today?--yes

Is it vitally important to you to know what's going on in the latest sensational murder trial or how many car chases there were today?--not only is it not vital-I am not even sure it is healty.

Are some TV news stories grossly over reported while other TV news stories are grossly under reported?-yes and I resent the fact that someone else is deciding for me what I should and should not know about an issue or story.

Are you happy with the priorities set by TV news for what is or isn't important news worth covering?--nope see above.

Are there better sources of news than the TV?--I actually try to use mix--tv, internet, newspapers.

If there is a problem with TV news, is it the fault of the medium itself? Does the medium of television lend itself to creating such problems?--I don't know exactly when things began to change--maybe with programs like 60 minutes, or when the news anchors became personalities vs reporters (think Good Morning America before they hired David Hartman--an actor). For some insight on how things used to be watch "Good Night, Good Luck".

Should TV get out of the news business? no I think they should get back into the news business--and not consider the news as Entertainment.
:yes:

I think the problem began with the advent of 24/7 cable news channels.
That created the need for constant news, the need to keep people tuned in. Now we have pundits everywhere, reporters are interviewing reporters, stories are repeated constantly around the clock, etc.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Yes, TV news is a joke. As an "emergency responder," I am often aware of and actually a part of much of the "news" that gets reported in my community. When I see the news report, I often wonder where the *bleep* they got their info, 'cause it doesn't even sound like the same scene! If they can't get the little stuff with any sort of accuracy, how can I believe what they say about the big stuff?

Same applies to the newspapers and especially the so-called news magazines :rolleyes: