• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is this *finally* the moment we wake up to the climate crisis?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Is this *finally* the moment we wake up to the climate crisis? - CNNPolitics

(CNN)Record flooding in Philadelphia and New York City. Tornadoes in New Jersey. Fires burning through California and Nevada.

Everywhere you look, extreme weather. Weather the likes of which even meteorologists and other experts say they have never seen before.
What's perhaps more remarkable is that we know why all of this is happening: Our changing climate. As the Earth warms, more extreme weather becomes more of the rule rather than its exception.
In April, the World Meteorological Organization released a report detailing a five-fold increase in the number of extreme weather events over the past five decades. The WMO, which is part of the United Nations, estimated that those extreme weather events have left more than 2 million people around the globe dead and cost $3.64 trillion in total losses.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Some have been awake for quite some time. Some look around now and awaken.

The big obstacle that I see now is an attitude "yes it's a problem and should be solved but don't ask me to change my lifestyle or pay anything to solve it". We've got a ways to go before that one is overcome although there are signs it's starting to happen now. I see it in millennials who are less interested in possessions than the earlier generations.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
and those who deny reality even when it is staring them in the face. :rolleyes:
At one point one could float half decent arguments against AGW. Not enough was known by most scientists and somewhat plausible exceptions could be found. The trouble for those opposing the idea was that science advances and those exceptions were explained. Now it is only the science deniers that oppose the idea of AGW.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Some have been awake for quite some time. Some look around now and awaken.

The big obstacle that I see now is an attitude "yes it's a problem and should be solved but don't ask me to change my lifestyle or pay anything to solve it". We've got a ways to go before that one is overcome although there are signs it's starting to happen now. I see it in millennials who are less interested in possessions than the earlier generations.
Are you implying that I will have to get rid of my pickup truck?

upload_2021-9-2_23-3-10.png

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you implying that I will have to get rid of my pickup truck?

View attachment 54544

What the heck is with all the giant trucks/SUVs? Unless you are a farmer or a contractor, you do not need a huge truck! Why does it seem they grow?

And these SUVs offer no extra seating... what is the point? Unless you've got a Pyrenees to haul in the back(my sister actually does), these offer no benefit.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that the doubters are coming around. I also dont blame the doubters, because climate change scares have made people slow to accept. There have been a lot of people crying wolf before, for decades. For decades people have warned of immediate climate disasters which failed to appear.

We are also dealing with a strong belief in Satan. It is believed that a supernatural entity seeks to deceive the world, and this belief easily attunes to paranoia. It is further thought that God allows this to test people. This often negatively affects progressives who hope to foment changes which they believe beneficial but which can be construed as Satanic.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What the heck is with all the giant trucks/SUVs? Unless you are a farmer or a contractor, you do not need a huge truck! Why does it seem they grow?

And these SUVs offer no extra seating... what is the point? Unless you've got a Pyrenees to haul in the back(my sister actually does), these offer no benefit.
Some people have more money than sense.

Usually that frame is used for a smaller commercial truck. Either for deliveries or as a small dumptruck or other similar use. But if a person is crazy enough they will make a pickup with it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am not sure if the healthy dose of reality will stick.. My state had record highs quite unlike any in the past. But now we have an early fall. That will rearm the local deniers.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I do not know about your neck of the woods but these monster trucks are really popular up here in Washington.
If one of those ever collided with our little Prelude on the road, we'd be history. :eek:

1986_honda_prelude_2_dr_std_coupe-pic-6330095460368761815-640x480.jpeg

Heyo

Veteran Member
Is this *finally* the moment we wake up to the climate crisis? - CNNPolitics

(CNN)Record flooding in Philadelphia and New York City. Tornadoes in New Jersey. Fires burning through California and Nevada.

Everywhere you look, extreme weather. Weather the likes of which even meteorologists and other experts say they have never seen before.
What's perhaps more remarkable is that we know why all of this is happening: Our changing climate. As the Earth warms, more extreme weather becomes more of the rule rather than its exception.
In April, the World Meteorological Organization released a report detailing a five-fold increase in the number of extreme weather events over the past five decades. The WMO, which is part of the United Nations, estimated that those extreme weather events have left more than 2 million people around the globe dead and cost $3.64 trillion in total losses.
It will change nothing. It is still the same people who do the warning (the scientists) and still the same people who do the denying (the ones not trusting scientists). Change in opinion is slow, like Max Planck said "one funeral at a time".

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not know about your neck of the woods but these monster trucks are really popular up here in Washington.
If one of those ever collided with our little Prelude on the road, we'd be history. :eek:

1986_honda_prelude_2_dr_std_coupe-pic-6330095460368761815-640x480.jpeg

They drive huge stuff here, too.

My husband's got tiny cars, too. Two 1990 Luminas. I've got a mini van for myself, so I can haul the kids and dogs around.