• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is this endlessness?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But how does that make the universe flat?

You are still thinking in 2 dimensions. You need to drop that idea. Its flat (to at least 6 decimal places) in any direction you measure.

Take a large stiff card, cut it into a triangle. Lift one end of the card leaving the one point on the ground. You can move it any direction in 3 dimensions by leaving the one point fixed on the ground.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
You are still thinking in 2 dimensions. You need to drop that idea. Its flat (to at least 6 decimal places) in any direction you measure.

Take a large stiff card, cut it into a triangle. Lift one end of the card leaving the one point on the ground. You can move it any direction in 3 dimensions by leaving the one point fixed on the ground.
So it's flat but flat in all dimensions, not just in one? Basically, it is flat because you can always draw flat lines through it? In all directions?

ChristineM

Premium Member
But that's obvious

Why is the universe being flat but flat in all possible directions such a big deal?

Is that a new idea? Did people ever think differently?

If it's not flat it would curl back on itself. Like your chessboard.

It's only quite recently (10 years or so) that science has worked put how to measure it.

I think it weird that it's 13.8 billion years old, inflating but infinit. My only solution to this conundrum is that it's potentially infinite

RestlessSoul

I don't understand the difference to a triangle that exists in space and a triangle that's only drawn a piece of paper

It appears axiomatic (so obvious that it hardly needs to be said) that three points in space, connected by three straight lines, would have all the geometric properties of a triangle drawn on a piece of paper. But that would not be the case if space were not flat, but curved; which, just to confuse matters, it is, due to the gravity of massive objects.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It appears axiomatic (so obvious that it hardly needs to be said) that three points in space, connected by three straight lines, would have all the geometric properties of a triangle drawn on a piece of paper. But that would not be the case if space were not flat, but curved; which, just to confuse matters, it is, due to the gravity of massive objects.
So space can be mis-shaped and bent by gravity?

How can that be so? I thought space was literally nothing?

RestlessSoul

So space can be mis-shaped and bent by gravity?

How can that be so? I thought space was literally nothing?

Well gravity, in Einstein's theory of General Relativity, is a geometric property of space and time. And if space has properties, it is something rather than nothing, since nothing, by definition, has no properties.

So space is not just emptiness, it is comprised of fields such as the electro-magnetic field, gravitational field etc: and the energy of a field in empty space is never zero. Theoretically something, rather than nothing, exists even in a void. And even where there is nothing, there is the potential for something - some random excitation of a field - to occur.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What does "field" mean in this context?

Would even space in the middle of nowhere that is not next to any magnets or anything with gravity contain fields?

ChristineM

Premium Member

Would even space in the middle of nowhere that is not next to any magnets or anything with gravity contain fields?

You are getting into quantum theory here its a very heavy sibject.

Space is not empty, it's full of dust, gas, molecules, atoms, and quantum particles

RestlessSoul

There may be regions in our universe beyond the influence of any gravitational or electro-magnetic fields. Or there may not - gravity is a weak force, but it's range is immense.

How Quantum Field Theory would apply in such conditions (if such conditions exist) I confess I don't know.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I have a question that's been bugging me for years

I don't know how to explain this, it's simple to understand but hard to put in words.....

Imagine a chess board

Imagine you move a piece all the way to the edge of the opposite side, so that it is right at the top of the board

Now imagine you move it forward one space

And it reappears on the opposite edge of the board, right on the bottom of the board, to where it begun at the end of the game, on the same line

Now, imagine you have another piece and you move it to a square that is on the right edge of the board

You then move it one space to the right and it reappears on the left edge of the board, on the same row as it was before you last moved it

As though it has gone all around to the other side and as though the board is in some bizarre way round

What do you call this?

If the chess board works like that, does that mean that it is in effect never ending, as it is circular and has no edges?

Is that a type of infinity, or is it finite? It is at least endless and circular?

Might the universe work like that?
Didn't some of the early computer games (e.g. Pacman) work like that - I seem to remember going off screen on one side and appearing again on the other side.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
There may be regions in our universe beyond the influence of any gravitational or electro-magnetic fields. Or there may not - gravity is a weak force, but it's range is immense.

How Quantum Field Theory would apply in such conditions (if such conditions exist) I confess I don't know.
I want to learn about these things

I'll see if there is a good video on YouTube about it

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Didn't some of the early computer games (e.g. Pacman) work like that - I seem to remember going off screen on one side and appearing again on the other side.
Video games are what made me wonder about all this!

In Civilization II it did sideways, from East to West, but not from North to South, because that would be unlike a round globe, it would have to emerge elsewhere in the same hemisphere as it moved up in

ChristineM

Premium Member
Oh no!

So is it impossible for there to be empty space?

Is there anywhere in the universe where it is truly empty?

Not that i know of...

No one knows what the universe is expanding into, probabe it's making its own space as it expands though it could be expanding into nothingness, truly empty space.