• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there houses in the afterlife?

Crosstian

Baring the Cross
Job 30:23 and Psalms 139:7-8 and Proverbs 7:27 and John 14:2 implies there is.Sorry if I have posted this before.:(
Job 30:23 is actually referring to the 'house' of the grave in death.

Job 30:23 For I know that thou wilt bring me to death, and to the house appointed for all living.
Job 30:24 Howbeit he will not stretch out his hand to the grave, though they cry in his destruction.

Job 14:12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.
Job 14:13 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!

Psalms 139:8 is again referring to death, even the grave (hell):

Psa 139:7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
Psa 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Again, Proverbs 7:27 is referring to the grave:

Pro 7:27 Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

John 14:2 refers to the many unfallen worlds (Hebrews 1:2, 11:3, etc) and the universe (stretched out as a tent (house):

Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Isa_40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

However, in the New Heaven and New Earth there are indeed houses to dwell in, and even the New Jerusalem as the city of God:

Rev_3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
Rev_21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev_20:9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
Gal_4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

Zec_14:8 And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.

Isa_65:21 And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.

Eze_28:26 And they shall dwell safely therein, and shall build houses, and plant vineyards; yea, they shall dwell with confidence, when I have executed judgments upon all those that despise them round about them; and they shall know that I am the LORD their God.

Joseph Atwood

Frank -- I think the question is an interesting one, and I think it's one that has some good rabbit holes. There are a lot of ways to interpret these verses, but are you afraid that the more literal the interpretation is (houses, homes, societies, etc), it demeans heaven, or makes it more intriguing?

Frank Goad

Frank -- I think the question is an interesting one, and I think it's one that has some good rabbit holes. There are a lot of ways to interpret these verses, but are you afraid that the more literal the interpretation is (houses, homes, societies, etc), it demeans heaven, or makes it more intriguing?

I just to think this stuff might be literal.But now that I believe in the jehovah's witnesses religion.I think it isn't literal.:)

sciatica

Notable Member
Due to recent overcrowding only apartments will be available. So no more houses.
But apartments are good. Try to get ones with Earth views. They are awrsome!