• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is there anything inconsistent with the premise of no gods?

Acim

Revelation all the time
I think it's rather hypocritical of you to argue that we should take "god" to mean "influential being" and then complain that I'm using what you perceive to be a "secondary" definition.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say we should do anything.

What you're calling "secondary" is actually one of several valid definitions of the term "sacred".

In my dictionary, what you are citing is the 4th tier definition of the term sacred. So, you're right "secondary" was me being (very) generous.

The fact remains that people can use the term "sacred" without referring to gods.

And I'm arguing that it is questionable, at best - given (valid) definition(s) of "god."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure I didn't say we should do anything.

In my dictionary, what you are citing is the 4th tier definition of the term sacred. So, you're right "secondary" was me being (very) generous.

And I'm arguing that it is questionable, at best - given (valid) definition(s) of "god."
I think I'm done with this. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you had something on-topic and meaningful to share, but it seems like you're just interested in arguing.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I still don't know what you mean by this part:

"Further arguing that the idea of any lack of action with regards to suffering (or other perceived lack) is a reflection of the reality of that (individual) consciousness."

Which part are you having trouble understanding the meaning?

Suffering is perceptual, and/or a judgment about the 'reality' of someone. Could be own self. I could judge (or fully believe, based on perceptual evidence) that I am a person suffering. I understand your argument that if God(s) don't do something (anything) with regards to my suffering, that is perceptible to me (or anyone), then that would be clear indication of inaction, and therefore just as plausible to suggest there are no gods in relation to my suffering as there is to say gods exists, but due to my/our theistic understandings they are in state of inaction and yada yada yada, that doesn't mean they don't exist. That's how I understand position of this thread.

To me, it is making assumptions about "suffering" and "action" which if they are going to be scrutinized at level you are calling forth, ought to be addressed at level of what are these conceptual understandings (really) in terms of fundamental understandings? Beyond just mere (dictionary) definitions, who is the determiner, how is it being determined this is occurring (or not)? As a theist who's visited this topic before, I understand it to be a reflection of one's consciousness. Essentially any thought. Not just the theistic belief is a reflection of one's understanding of reality, but existence itself is, as is suffering as is action/inaction when it comes to most conceptual ideas. Glad to explain all this on side tangents if truly not understanding the words being used, but just assume deal with what you are speaking to.

Existence is God. That is my position in this thread. The inaction of existence itself to do anything with regards to the perception of suffering is, I would argue, necessarily a reflection on the consciousness of the one thinking this thought.

As a theist with further understandings than that point, I feel quite capable to go on from here, explain more. I pause to see (again) if this so far is making sense. And so far each time I convey this, you are showing up as - I understand none of it.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I think I'm done with this. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you had something on-topic and meaningful to share, but it seems like you're just interested in arguing.

Sacredness and how that is being applied to actions (or inaction) regarding perception of (any) suffering is on topic. It's a little more indirect than the other tangent I'm taking, but is getting to the same place.

But I recognize your concession for what it is. And if you are done arguing the topic openly, I'll rejoice knowing you couldn't handle the intellectual counter challenge.

Demonslayer

there has to be a trick to it

Pop the cubes out of the frame and manually snap them all back together in the right order.

I even bought one of those books in the 80's that supposedly told you how to solve it, and still never could!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Pop the cubes out of the frame and manually snap them all back together in the right order.

I even bought one of those books in the 80's that supposedly told you how to solve it, and still never could!
I got a thread around here somewhere......

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Ah, the classic "avoid the problem instead of solving it" solution. ;)

I'm sure there's a way that can be segued back to the original topic.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
no big deal....that damn cube still eludes me
there has to be a trick to it
There is.

There are books and resources that can show you basic piece-moving sequences, like shift 3 corners or rotate them one step clockwise etc. Practice and memorize these different "tools" and you can use them. The basic trick though is that you build one layer first, like the top layer and get it all correct, then the middler layer, and then the bottom.

When I was kid, my record was 49 sec. Now, I don't even remember the sequences anymore.