• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Sabbath for All Mankind?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The purpose of the sabbath is evidence that all mankind are NOT required to observe it. The sabbath law given to Isreal is connected specifically to their deliverance from slavery in Egypt.
Eg, the purpose of the sabbath is found at Deut. 5:15: “You must remember that you [Israel] became a slave in the land of Egypt and Jehovah your God proceeded to bring you out from there with a strong hand and an outstretched arm. That is why Jehovah your God commanded you to carry on the sabbath day.”
This is also a clear indicator that the sabbath observance did not exist before the Exodus. So Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and all those prior to the Exodus would not have observed the day.

Therefore, it is not binding that christians observe the sabbath. This is why Paul stated:
Colossians 2:13 '... [God] made YOU alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and blotted out the handwritten document against us, which consisted of decrees...16 Therefore let no man judge YOU in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath; 17 for those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ

But christians are invited to 'enter into Gods rest' as discussed by Paul at
Hebrews 4:9 So there remains a sabbath resting for the people of God. 10 For the man that has entered into [God’s] rest has also himself rested from his own works, just as God did from his own. 11 Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest...'
... this is far more important to a christian then observing the sabbath.

Jensen

Peg, how is Hebrews 4:9 different than Col 2:16? It seems to me that Hebrews 4:9 still says that there remains a sabbath resting for the people....that it still should be observed?

Maybe I"m just not getting it?

Jensen

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Peg, how is Hebrews 4:9 different than Col 2:16? It seems to me that Hebrews 4:9 still says that there remains a sabbath resting for the people....that it still should be observed?

Maybe I"m just not getting it?

Jensen

Hi Jensen,
thanks for your question. There is a difference between the sabbath day observed by the Israelites and the 'sabbath rest' spoken of by Paul.

The sabbath day found in the mosaic law code was given exclusively to the Israelites and their proselytes. God said to Moses: “The sons of Israel must keep the sabbath . . . Between me and the sons of Israel it is a sign to time indefinite.”—Exodus 31:16, 17
While some commands given to Israel also applied to those in the Christian congregation, ie to abstain from idolatry and fornication, the commands regarding the weekly Sabbath were not included among the ones that Christians were required to obey. After saying that “we have been discharged from the Law,” Paul went on to refer to one of the Ten Commandments, so the Ten Commandments—including the Sabbath law—are part of the Law that came to an end.

So when Paul said “There remains a sabbath resting for the people of God.” at hebrews 4:9, it is clear that he does not mean the sabbath of the mosaic law. Fortunately, he does explain what the rest involves...and it is linked to Gods purpose for the earth and mankind.
In the book of Genesis, we learn that God prepared the earth for human habitation during six figurative days. The end of each of these periods is marked by the words: “There came to be evening and there came to be morning.” But when it comes to the seventh day, the Bible states: “God proceeded to bless the seventh day and make it sacred, because on it he has been resting from all his work that God has created.”—Gen. 2:3.

The answer as to what Gods Rest involves really revolves around 'why' he rested. By making the 7th day 'sacred' it implies that it was set aside for a special purpose.
Jehovah set aside the seventh day—his rest day—in order to allow time for his purpose respecting the earth & mankind to come to fulfillment. We can enter into Jehovah’s rest—or join him in his rest—by obediently working in harmony with his purpose for us and the earth. To do that, we must become fully obedient and submissive to Gods rulership.
Now Paul went further in explaining what it means to 'enter' Gods rest in and shows that those who are disobedient to God cannot enter into it
Heb 4:6 Since, therefore, it remains for some to enter into it, and those to whom the good news was first declared did not enter in because of disobedience, 7 he again marks off a certain day by saying after so long a time in David’s [psalm] “Today”; just as it has been said above: “Today if YOU people listen to his own voice, do not harden YOUR hearts.” 8 For if Joshua had led them (Israelites) into a place of rest, [God] would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 So there remains a sabbath resting for the people of God. 10 For the man that has entered into [God’s] rest has also himself rested from his own works, just as God did from his own.

The key to entering Gods rest (his purpose for mankind and the earth) is to become obedient and submissive and put Gods purpose first in our life by putting our own purposes and goals aside. This is why Jesus said “If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake day after day and follow me continually.”Luke 9:23.
If we do that, then we will be joining ourselves to God and we will see the fulfillment of all that he promises for the future.

Last edited:

Jensen

Hi Pegg, I guess I'll be reading Hebrews 4 before making a comment as I'm still confused. I don't quite get what your saying.

Thanks for your reply to my question.

Jensen

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Hi Pegg, I guess I'll be reading Hebrews 4 before making a comment as I'm still confused. I don't quite get what your saying.

Thanks for your reply to my question.

Jensen

the simplest way i can explain it is to say that everyday is a sabbath for a christian. Entering into Gods rest means to enter into his purpose for us. So unlike the isrealite sabbath which was observed one day a week, christians are being told that they need to use every day as a day of worship to God. They need to do Gods will...give their lives back to God.

the real clue as to what it means is found in Hebrews 4:9 So there remains a sabbath resting for the people of God. 10 For the man that has entered into [God’s] rest has also himself rested from his own works

Resting from our own works involves accepting God’s provision for salvation and not trying to work out our own future independently from God as Adam and Eve had. We must put aside our own selfish or mundane pursuits in order to do God’s will and in that way we enter his rest.

Last edited:

Jensen

Peg,

It says in Hebrews 4:9 So there remains a sabbath resting for the people of God.

There remains.....isn't that saying that we are to still observe the sabbath? And isn't the Sabbath the 7th day? Today, Sunday is referred to as the Lords' day because it is believed that is the day he was resurrected, and I think that is why Christians services are usually held on Sunday? And only a few believe that it is the sabbath that God set forth in Genesis as a day of rest.

Jensen:)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Peg,

It says in Hebrews 4:9 So there remains a sabbath resting for the people of God.

There remains.....isn't that saying that we are to still observe the sabbath? And isn't the Sabbath the 7th day? Today, Sunday is referred to as the Lords' day because it is believed that is the day he was resurrected, and I think that is why Christians services are usually held on Sunday? And only a few believe that it is the sabbath that God set forth in Genesis as a day of rest.

Jensen:)

Hi Jensen,

I have to admit that this is a hard subject to explain because most people consider the 7th day rest to be all that Gods requires but in actual fact, God requires something more from us. What you seem to be asking is if we should continue to observe the same sabbath as Israel did and as stipulated in the Mosaic law. However, Pauls words show that Israel never did enter into Gods sabbath even though they were 'observing' a weekly sabbath day. So there must have been something lacking in them that God required...something that the 7th day observance could not give them.

When Israel were invited into a covenant relationship with God, they had the wonderful prospect of working along with Jehovah’s purpose, resulting in blessings not only for themselves but, eventually, for all families of the earth! But the scriptures show that due to disobedience, some were rejected from entering Gods rest even though they were observing the 7th day sabbath.

Psalms 95:10 For forty years I kept feeling a loathing toward [that] generation,
And I proceeded to say:
“They are a people wayward at heart,
And they themselves have not come to know my ways”;
11 Concerning whom I swore in my anger:
“They shall not enter into my resting-place.”

Paul used the above verse and went onto explain to christians that disobedience prevents a person from entering Gods rest, because Gods rest is not simply observing a 7th day rest....its far more then that.

Notice how Paul says that some Israelites were not permitted to enter Gods rest:
Hebrews 3:17 Moreover, with whom did [God] become disgusted for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose carcasses fell in the wilderness? 18 But to whom did he swear that they should not enter into his rest except to those who acted disobediently? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of lack of faith.

Simply observing a 7th day of rest does not bring a person into the 'rest' spoken of by Paul. The reason is because Gods rest involves his purpose for mankind and we must bring our entire lives into harmony with that purpose...and that is what Paul is speaking about when he says there remains a 'sabbath resting' ..... you also need to remember that in other letters, Paul openly stated that the festivals and observances of the mosaic law, including the sabbath, are no longer binding to observe. ie, Colossians 2:16 Therefore let no man judge YOU in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath; 17 for those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ

Galatians 4:9'...how is it that YOU are turning back again to the weak and beggarly elementary things and want to slave for them over again? 10 YOU are scrupulously observing days and months and seasons and years. 11 I fear for YOU, that somehow I have toiled to no purpose respecting YOU

from the above verses we can conclude that Paul is not speaking about the literal 7th day sabbath observance in his letter to the hebrews.
If URAVIP2ME is around, maybe he can explain it a little better then i can.

Last edited: