• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Eating of Meat Immoral ?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Ok , this should NOT become a debate as long as everyone remembers that morality is subjective . But if it does , please move to the poper forum . :)

I have been quite outspoken in support of eating flesh . Simply because not eating meat is often seen as a morally superior way of life . Although the concept has never really been broyght up on these forums { untill this thread ... http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37983 } , I guess that I have been a little on the defensive ? Perhaps because of the political movement by groups like PETA ?

So , what I am wondering is what do people mean by " moral " reasons ? Are they a personal thing , or political ? If political , should it be ? What do you all think ?

Yup , this very well may trun into a debate . :) But as I see it , we all have blood on our hands . It is just a matter of the type ...

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
In my opinion there is nothing morally superior about eating meat. Life feeds on life.

That idea is, however, morally conceited.

BrandonE

King of Parentheses
Just FYI, the issue was discussed at length in a recent thread http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36830 which you may find interesting.

I agree with Willamena. Life feeds on life.

Booko said:
I don't find anything inherently immoral in eating meat, but when it comes to modern production methods, there's certainly a lot there I'd consider immoral.
I do think you have a point here. To what extent culpability for that immorality is passed down to the consumer makes for an interesting question.

Hacker

This is one thing I've pondered most of my life. I actually do think it's immoral to eat meat, especially the way that the animals are maintained. But it's very difficult to become a vegetarian and raising a child at the same time because protein is necessary for a lot of our bodily functions, and it would be real tough to manage getting the complete amino acids when providing complete nutrition for a picky 4 year old.:eek: If it weren't necessary for our bodies, then of course I wouldn't eat meat. Protein is necessary for healing, our nails, collagen etc. Carbohydrates are (too much) are very harsh on the system.:(

d.

_______
tlcmel said:
If it weren't necessary for our bodies, then of course I wouldn't eat meat.

it isn't. there are plenty of alternative sources for protein.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
kreeden said:
Ok , this should NOT become a debate as long as everyone remembers that morality is subjective . But if it does , please move to the poper forum . :)

I have been quite outspoken in support of eating flesh . Simply because not eating meat is often seen as a morally superior way of life . Although the concept has never really been broyght up on these forums { untill this thread ... http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37983 } , I guess that I have been a little on the defensive ? Perhaps because of the political movement by groups like PETA ?

So , what I am wondering is what do people mean by " moral " reasons ? Are they a personal thing , or political ? If political , should it be ? What do you all think ?

Yup , this very well may trun into a debate . :) But as I see it , we all have blood on our hands . It is just a matter of the type ...

For me, when I was vegetarian, it was for "Religious morality"; later I got to think about all the other forms of life that are killed for our nutrition.

Yes, I have blood on my hands, but God (to me) had some part to play in our bodies; after Adam took the apple and ate from it, the garden of Eden became an environment in which all creature have to kill to be fed.

That is one reason I look so much forward to being in heaven (if I get there)

d.

_______
tlcmel said:
Give me some examples of some that a picky child would like.

i see your point, and it's an understandable position - but an adult should have no problem getting all necessary protein. perhaps i misunderstood you, but you said 'meat is necessary for our bodies'. that's what i replied to.:)

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
I'm an omnivore. My teeth and digestive system evloved that way. I'm not going to question that. Other animals are entirely carnivorous. Even some plants are carnivorous. It's natural, and I don't look down on them or see them as evil. If someone wants to be a vegetarian, thats their decision. Just don't pretend like you are holier or better in some way.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Booko said:
I don't find anything inherently immoral in eating meat, but when it comes to modern production methods, there's certainly a lot there I'd consider immoral.

And with , that I have to agree Booko . :)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
michel said:
For me, when I was vegetarian, it was for "Religious morality"; later I got to think about all the other forms of life that are killed for our nutrition.

Yes, I have blood on my hands, but God (to me) had some part to play in our bodies; after Adam took the apple and ate from it, the garden of Eden became an environment in which all creature have to kill to be fed.

That is one reason I look so much forward to being in heaven (if I get there)

Michel , if the Bible is correct , then I agree . But in the meanwhile we have to live , to survive . And in this world , all creature survive off the blood { life fluids } of other ctreatures . So , should we consider ourselves as " immoral " because we have to eat ? Or is that just a part of being alive ?

Yea , that is a loaded question . :) As I already have my own answer . But I'm wondering about others opinions .

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
An interesting question, as always!

I do not think that the eating of meat is inherantly immoral or moral. (As Booko noted, though, some of the conditions that the 'meat to be' are kept in is most decidedly immoral, and as little a part I can have in them being raised in that way, the better.) I get into a big quandry when I think about such things, I fear. I don't want to eat anything that would be recognized by its mother, but my various body systems have concluded that they will throw me into a very bad state if I don't have meat periodically. I look forward to having health insurance, so I can someday find a way around this, so that I don't have to eat meat. (This is for personal reasons, not because I think it's morally better that way.)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
[SIZE=+0]From a Hindu viewpoint, the question is one of individual dharma. Some people, tigers and Eskimos for example, are born to subsist on other animals, it is their role in this incarnation, their anatomy or cultural situation allows no choice in the matter.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Others are born with more options. They have a choice. How they choose to relate to their fellow creatures, both two and four legged, holds karmic consequences.[/SIZE]

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
BrandonE said:
Just FYI, the issue was discussed at length in a recent thread http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36830 which you may find interesting.

Three posts ... now THAT is immoral . :) Sorry , but I had to thank Brandon for that link . Yes , I found it quite interesting , untill it fell into a debate over PETA .... Which kinda proves a point I made about it becoming a political issue . No ?

Edited to Add : Hey Feathers ! :)

And thank thank her and Seyorni for saving me from the three post thing ... :)

BTW Seyorni , is there really any " moral " issues connected to karma ? I mean in the western sense of the word ? Right and wrong ?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
When I became a vegetarian, it was because I was going through what my family called my "tree-hugger stage". I simply didn't believe I should eat defenseless little piggies and gentle cows. Well.....I lasted about six months before I cracked. Eating meat is normal and natural, and there's nothing immoral about it.

If you want to hear a really interesting perspective on eating meat vs. vegetables, I suggest we get Magurk in here.

d.

_______
Seyorni said:
[SIZE=-0]Others are born with more options. They have a choice. How they choose to relate to their fellow creatures, both two and four legged, holds karmic consequences.[/SIZE]

if we take out the 'karma' concept, that's pretty much how i feel about it too. with a choice comes moral responsibility IMO.

Eating meat is normal and natural, and there's nothing immoral about it.

i don't know about 'normal' but i'd hesitate to call the global meat industry 'natural'.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Booko said:
Gotta agree with you on this one! I don't think eaing the flesh of animals (including fish) is immoral. But the commercial production or fishing methods are sure questionable!

I also tend to be concerned about the health consequences of eating commercially produced meat that comes from animals that are given hormones/steroids to make them grow bigger and faster. Of even more concern is those same animals that live knee deep in their own excrement and are fed almost continuous antibiotics to keep them healthy enough to go to the slaughterhouse :eek:

The funny (as in funny strange, not funny haha) thing is, often the same folks who will give me a hard time for preferring to eat meat from an animal that grew up in the wild will eat commercially raised meat.

Personally, I think it's 'more' ethical and moral to eat fish and game I killed myself (legally and in season of course) rather than an animal that lived most or all of it's life in an overcrowded pen wallowing in it's own and it's herdmates' poo and pee.

Another option I've used is to buy a 'home raised' animal (beefalo, elk, beef, chicken, goose, whatever) that got to live it's life more naturally and humanely in a pasture rather than in a feedlot or cage.

What's my beef with commercial fishing? Depends on the method.... trawling results in large amounts of 'bycatch' that is considered unmarketable and is thrown backingto the ocean... usually already dead. This bycatch isn't only the more publically known stuff like dolphins caught by tuna fishermen.... it's stuff like hundreds of years old corals and other invertebrates that are destroyed when a shrimp trawler drags it's nets across the ocean floor (for example). Sport or even subsitance fishing or shrimping or clamming or even whaling targets only the animals that are going to be eaten. The occasional octopus or sea star brought up with a shrimp pot tend to survive the experience and can survive the trip to the surface and back down.

Reactions: d.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
divine said:
if we take out the 'karma' concept, that's pretty much how i feel about it too. with a choice comes moral responsibility IMO.

I agree.

I'll quote myself:

Tigress said:
[FONT=&quot]I believe that as creatures able to discern what is or is not harmful, and what path is the least harmful, we bear or should bear the responsibilities of such [where we are able] and walk said path that is least harmful, or which causes less suffering. In conclusion, it is my opinion that adhering to a vegetarian or vegan diet helps to accomplish this.
[/FONT]

With great 'power' comes great responsibility.

bigvindaloo

kreeden said:

I love meat. And I advocate cultivating species for human consumption as a means for ensuring their survival. See, I can eat meat and be moral about it too.