• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the death penalty too cruel?

gtrsgrls

Some people cling to the argument that the death penalty is too cruel to be used.What do you think.In my opinion if a person murders someone,he himself should be put to death.Why should he not get the same thing he gave some innocent person?Our jails are housing thousands and thousands of people who've committed horrible crimes.And it's our tax dollars that are housing them.Don't you think if we raised the bar on punishment we would have less crimes and more money?You might say "it's not fair to punish a man that severely."Well was it fair for the family he murdered?Was it fair for the woman he raped and killed?Ask yourself that.:mad:

Aqualung

Tasty
No. It's not cruel enough. If a person murders someone, they shouldn't be allowed to live in luxury, and then be allowed repite from the boring life in jail through death. They, and all other criminals, should be forced to work. Like in the old days, when a criminal actually had to pay a penalty for his crime, instead of getting to live better than some law abiding citizens. The death penalty is way, way to simpathetic, as are prisons in general.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
gtrsgrls said:
"Well was it fair for the family he murdered?Was it fair for the woman he raped and killed?
And is killing the murderer or rapist somehow going to make up for their crimes or erase what they've done?

Ryan2065

Aqualung said:
No. It's not cruel enough. If a person murders someone, they shouldn't be allowed to live in luxury, and then be allowed repite from the boring life in jail through death. They, and all other criminals, should be forced to work. Like in the old days, when a criminal actually had to pay a penalty for his crime, instead of getting to live better than some law abiding citizens. The death penalty is way, way to simpathetic, as are prisons in general.
Some homeless people try to get put into prision before winter so they have a nice place to stay....

I agree, jails should be so cruel no one would want to be there. And trust me, the death penality is a very good means to stop someone from commiting crimes. Lets say that someone killed a person. If he gets caught he is looking at life in prision (more than likely) Whats to stop him from killing as many people as he can to keep from going to prision? The penality will not be worse at all.

Ryan2065

Maize said:
And is killing the murderer or rapist somehow going to make up for their crimes or erase what they've done?
Police have saved their own lives many a times by telling someone whos pointing a gun at them "You know if you kill me you will die."

And trust me, bad guys know this stuff.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
It's not cruel at all. Well, it would be for me, but that's because I have a very bad phobia of needles. At any rate, it's not cruel--but it is wrong.

So is sitting in prison for years and years and getting provided for every day, though.

EDIT:

Gtrlsgrls, I must admit I'm confused. As your religion you list 'a true Christian,' but I thought that Christianity was against the death penalty? Turn the other cheek, if someone takes your jacket give them your shirt as well? Maybe I'm getting my religions confused again.

gtrsgrls

Maize said:
No, but at least the families of the victim will know that justice has been served.I know if my brother got killed I would feel a lot better if the person really paid the price.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
I think the death penalty is just, but I don't think we should use it. Our government shouldn't be allowed to kill it's citizens for any reason.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Ryan2065 said:
Police have saved their own lives many a times by telling someone whos pointing a gun at them "You know if you kill me you will die."

And trust me, bad guys know this stuff.

I don't know what that has to do with what I said....
:confused:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
gtrsgrls said:
Some people cling to the argument that the death penalty is too cruel to be used.What do you think.In my opinion if a person murders someone,he himself should be put to death.Why should he not get the same thing he gave some innocent person?Our jails are housing thousands and thousands of people who've committed horrible crimes.And it's our tax dollars that are housing them.Don't you think if we raised the bar on punishment we would have less crimes and more money?You might say "it's not fair to punish a man that severely."Well was it fair for the family he murdered?Was it fair for the woman he raped and killed?Ask yourself that.:mad:

Wow, you sound a bit angry there, and the trouble is, the way your post is written, it almosts sounds like you are coming from an angle of "why should I have to pay to keep a prisonner fed and housed ?"

Death penalty too cruel ? - I personally think that the death penalty is far too easy 'a way out' for some. What to do, if you don't accept the principle ? - I haven't a clue.

But I would always personally vote against the death penalty for two main reasons - the one I have given above (too easy a punishment) and b) the fact that mistakes are made in justice. It's a bit hard to give a pardon to someone who has been executed...........

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
gtrsgrls said:
No, but at least the families of the victim will know that justice has been served.I know if my brother got killed I would feel a lot better if the person really paid the price.
Well, I glad that killing someone else would make you feel better. Personally, I don't feel I have the right to take someone else's life no matter what they've done. But that's just me. "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind."

Aqualung

Tasty
michel said:
Wow, you sound a bit angry there, and the trouble is, the way your post is written, it almosts sounds like you are coming from an angle of "why should I have to pay to keep a prisonner fed and housed ?"
Of course! Why should I have to?! For some reason the gov't doesn't want me to pay to for law abiding citizens (which I'm glad) but once they commit a crime, that's when I'm supposed to pay for them?! After they have proven that they don't care enough about the gov't to follow its rules, the got's shouldn't pay for them to do nothing, with three great meals, tvs and x-boxes and the like. Rediculous!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
People in prison get Xboxes, what? :areyoucra And three great meals? From the class trip we made to the prison here, they said yea, they get three meals... but that's not normal for prisons (from what they said), and they get that so that they can get healthy again; they're usually skin and bones from being on drugs when they get arrested here.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:
Of course! Why should I have to?! For some reason the gov't doesn't want me to pay to for law abiding citizens (which I'm glad) but once they commit a crime, that's when I'm supposed to pay for them?! After they have proven that they don't care enough about the gov't to follow its rules, the got's shouldn't pay for them to do nothing, with three great meals, tvs and x-boxes and the like. Rediculous!
So it's really from the money side that you are personally upset by not having a death penalty ? - would you risk being wrongfully condemned for a crime you hadn't committed ?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
As for deterrence of crime, this graph tells a different story:
MurderRateGraph.gif

States Without the Death Penalty Have Better Record on Homicide Rates
A new survey by the New York Times found that states without the death penalty have lower homicide rates than states with the death penalty. The Times reports that ten of the twelve states without the death penalty have homicide rates below the national average, whereas half of the states with the death penalty have homicide rates above. During the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48% - 101% higher than in states without the death penalty. "I think Michigan made a wise decision 150 years ago," said the state's governor, John Engler, a Republican, referring to the state's abolition of the death penalty in 1846. "We're pretty proud of the fact that we don't have the death penalty." (New York Times, 9/22/00)
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/art...ATES WITH THE DEATH PENALTY V. STATES WITHOUT
As you can see, the states with no death penalty have an average lower homicide rate than states with the death penalty. So much for being a crime deterrent.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Good point Maize; if I wanted to kill someone, I would find death an easy way out personally; I would fear being in prison a lot more............

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Aqualung said:

So let's just shoot everyone who commits any crime, would that be better? Don't bother with the trial part either, that costs money as well. Just shoot them on the spot. Who cares, they're not people, they're criminals!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:

So let's just shoot everyone who commits any crime, would that be better? Don't bother with the trial part either, that costs money as well. Just shoot them on the spot. Who cares, they're not people, they're criminals!
Count slowly to one hundred......one, two..........;)