• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the Bible a mirror to the human soul?

Jeremiah Ames

Does the Bible reflect the inner self of individuals?

Take a math book. Or a mystery novel. Or a repair manual.

Or almost any book. Every person who reads these would understand them. There would not be any diverse interpretations.
Even translations into other languages would not cause them to be misunderstood. Everyone would know how to do the math problem, who the murderer is, and how to repair the appliance.

Yet the Bible is not agreed upon by people. Even the translators, scholars, commentators, pastors, etc. cannot agree on very much.
I would even guess that no two people on earth could agree on 100% of the Bible. Possible?

People can read the simple 4 words “ thou shall not kill” and disagree on what it means. Even when they read “love your enemies” , some still justify crusades, burning at the stake, inquisitions, and various means of raining death and destruction on other people.

On the other side of the coin, I know people who believe the Bible to be one big love letter from God.

Jesus is the light of the world. Those who believe have the light and see the Bible as the beautiful love letter.

Those who are blind and living in darkness can justify any of their evil desires through their personal reading of the Bible.

Then, some people see only black words on a white page. Are these the ones who are not blinded, but have yet to see the light?

So, is it possible that the Bible just reflects the true self of the reader?

arthra

Baha'i
When approaching a scripture such as the Bible ... I think

(1) you need to attempt to look deeper than the English translation and study or learn from the earlier language.

also (2) a good knowledge of the context the scripture was revealed in... meaning the historical, cultural and social context is very important.

(3) Let the scripture "speak" to you.

allfoak

Alchemist
So, is it possible that the Bible just reflects the true self of the reader?
It is written in the language of the soul.
Your understanding is rare.
What you have come to the knowledge of is the reason why there is so much confusion. I can't tell anyone what the bible means, all I can do is teach someone how to read it. It is to be used as the key of knowledge and turned within.