• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is suicide ever justified?

Fluffy

A fool
Suicide is always justified because I believe that the only harm it causes is to a person's own body which is surely their own business.

I do not believe that the emotional trauma, that others might suffer, stems from the suicide but rather that the suicide acts like a catalyst for something that was already there. A person who kills themselves cannot be called at fault when others are harmed by the suicide, in my opinion.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
Suicide is always justified because I believe that the only harm it causes is to a person's own body which is surely their own business.

I do not believe that the emotional trauma, that others might suffer, stems from the suicide but rather that the suicide acts like a catalyst for something that was already there. A person who kills themselves cannot be called at fault when others are harmed by the suicide, in my opinion.
My family would argue vehemently against that.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
shaft said:
If I have a terminal disease which is causing me increasing pain and suffering I certainly wouldn't want to prolonge my suffering because of the loss that others would feel. Their only pain is the loss which they will eventually get over. My pain would be endless until death. I would expect those that are left behind with their health and lives to understand. If they don't then they are only thinking of themselves.
IMO every funeral is a hardship if the absence of that person causes a void in your life. Flappycat (odd name!) is right to a degree. There is no right or wrong. There is only that which in the long term gives the greatest overall advantage or the optimal gain. (and I dont mean individual gain i main 'sum total of') The gain in this case is the removal of a negative.

when talking about euthenasia, yes i agree. I would not want to spend months, even years suffering and being burden on my loved ones.

but just committing suicide for no other reason is IMPO a selfish act. I've been to funerals and i've been to suicide funerals, there is a big difference IMO.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Fluffy said:

I agree. Suicide is a personal choice and if that is what they want to do, ok then. I don't think it's immoral. Assisted Suicide should also be legal as long as the individual is "all there" and knows what they are asking for.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Fluffy said:

i'm with michel when i say that i completely disagree with that statement

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I will agree with JS. The funerals of a suicide are very hard on friends and family. A funeral of someone who died from disease or old is also hard, but people sometimes find a small bit of comfort in knowing there not in pain anymore.
But then again, some suicides kill themeselves because no one cares about them. Then it turns out, people did care for them, they just didn't show it until its too late. So maybe the people who are in tears at a suicides funeral are the ones at fault.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Suicide? absolutely, the more the better. As long as they aren't hurting anyone other than themselves while doing it, it is great. Fewer people on the freeways mean less rush hour traffic.

B.

Fire Empire

MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Suicide? absolutely, the more the better. As long as they aren't hurting anyone other than themselves while doing it, it is great. Fewer people on the freeways mean less rush hour traffic.

B.
In your opinion, would this be similar to the "darwin awards", in which those who aren't good for the genepool eliminate themselves?

Fluffy

A fool
My family would argue vehemently against that.
i'm with michel when i say that i completely disagree with that statement
Okay. I find that, from both personal experience and observing others, a large portion, if not all, of this trauma is caused by other factors than the suicide directly. For example, many people feel upset because they blame themselves for what has happened, "I should have done more" they might say. Yet this either highlights a personal failing on their interpersonal relationships which has got nothing to do with the person who commited suicide or their levels of confidence and sense of self worth, which, again, has nothing to do with that person.Obviously circumstances vary so it was silly of me to lay down blanket terms but simply that in the overwhelming majority of cases, my views would apply.

The religion that has summed up the reasoning for my feelings in this area the best is Jediism: "There is no death, there is only the Force". I take this to mean that life and death are two aspects of the same thing. Attachment to those who have gone is what causes the misery, not the loss of the person.

The Black Whirlwind

michel said:
Would you expand on that ? Why do you think that?
I really dont know why, i just always have. If someone can't stomach what the world throws at him/her, than that person is weak, weak beyond measure. and selfish too, if they commit suicide. I think it's disgusting.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
TheJedi said:
I really dont know why, i just always have. If someone can't stomach what the world throws at him/her, than that person is weak, weak beyond measure. and selfish too, if they commit suicide. I think it's disgusting.
"If someone can't stomach what the world throws at him/her, than that person is weak, weak beyond measure"... I won't pretend to know your situation, but I think any suggestion of calling a person who has considered this during their lifetime being 'weak' is horrific. If a person has survived the fight with chronic depression for even a small period of time, I think that person is brave beyond measure. Trying to face each day when you feel the world is disgusted by the very thought of you? Trying to find some iota of self-worth when your spirit is screaming that you have none? Trying to live in a world you don't feel worthy of living in? That's not weak. Unless you have depression, you may not understand the constant war that a person with depression is having to fight. Is a soldier 'weak' for falling in battle?

I won't pretend that I don't consider it selfish, but quite frankly, when you're at the point where you don't care about yourself, you're not that inclined to care about others. Perhaps focusing on and celebrating the fact that the person was able to survive, even for a short amount of time, is a better idea than treating their memory as 'weak'.

If you have attempted suicide before and still things dont get better, its justified. Especialy if you dont get any "signs" or "answers".

turk179

I smell something....
From a personal standpoint I can only think of one type of situation where the sacrificing of ones life would be justified and that would be in the defense of or the saving of another life. I have to much love for this life to give it up. I am not about to say that everyone should feel the same way. I know there is much hardship in this world and to think that everyone can handle pain the same way is ridiculous. I would like to think that if someone was so depressed that they felt like taking their own life they would just try to find something that is worth enjoying that life has to offer. It wasn't that long ago that I found myself in a situation where my self esteem and self worth were non existence. I was not a happy camper but I could still find something in life worth continuing on. Maybe part of my optimistic view comes from being afraid that I might miss a life experience for I believe that every experience is worth going through. It makes us into the people we are. If it wasn't for the things I have gone through in my live I wouldn't be the person I am now. I like who I am now. Like I said before, not everyone feels the same way and different people have a different perception on how pain feels.
Gee, I seem to be rambling now so I will shut up.:D

The Black Whirlwind

if they can pull themselves out of their self-loathing and roll with the punches, take what life dishes out and become stronger for it, that is strength. if they cannot and dishonourably commit suicide, it is weakness. I have felt worthless before, like no one cared about me, and i just wanted to run away and never come back. But i overcame my cowardice and dishonourable thoughts, and grew stronger for it.

The soldier and the wimp with depression are two very different people. The soldier fights for what he believes in, protecting his country with his life. The wimp with depression throws his life away because of his weakness.

Ezzedean

Chimowowo said:
By my definition it is. For me suicide isn't ending your own life directly, but can also be by making a choice that will knowingly result in your own death within the near future, for whatever reason.
Nicely put. Although that may be your definition of suicide, it's not the suicide which God forbids. Now, for all the non-believers who don't believe in God this shouldn't really worry you, but it's pretty plain and simple when it comes down to Jewish, Christian and Islamic beliefs; No man or women can take their own lives. It is a sin. End of story. All our messangers have warned us of these things. Muhammed, Jesus and Moses (PBUT). Although you may truly believe that it's possible to have a suicide which is justifiable, if you believe in God you should not say that it is. Just my point of view at least. God created you and me, so who are we to kill ourselves? Instead, we should be thanking him to be here. I'm sure I'm gonna get hassled for saying this, but if it's something I feel strongly about I will speak strongly towards it, and I believe it is a very selfish and cowardly act. Does one who commits suicide not have a loved one? Not one at all? Even if thats the case, anything but killing yourself is a way to solve that problem. Just my point of view anyway.

We can maybe express these interesting theories which may go against Gods law, BUT we shouldn't promote them as correct, because we (monotheists) KNOW it's not.

Peace and Blessings.
Ezzedean

Merlin

apostle_ndr said:
This is an old question, and was probably asked time and time again on this forum.

I'm asking this classic question on morality because there are so many people of different faiths and belief systems here. I would love to here the various opinions on whether or not suicide is ever justified. If not, why? If yes, when and why?
Whether it is justified or not, it is certainly final. So, you need to be sure it is the right course of action.

nutshell

To answer the question posed by the title of this thread, I would say that no one can know if it is justified or not. We have to rely on God who is all-knowing to make a fair judgement.