• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is rock music "dead"?

Jagella

I've been into rock & roll for fifty years, and it's still my favorite genre of music. Sadly, rock isn't what it used to be. I remember when Pink Floyd released The Wall way back in the late 1970s. It was a block buster. Everybody talking about it. But there hasn't been anything even close to it in recent years.

So what's going on? Why is rock & roll dead or apparently on its last legs?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
It's not really on its last legs; it's just plain dead

The only rock genre now I can think of that is actually still making big strides is Metal, but Metal has always been niche for the most part. Indie rock also has hits from time to time, but meh... It's not making big waves

Jagella

Oh my, what a topic. I hear what you are saying. I think we are just old :cool:
I know I am! I just turned 62, and these days I worry if I can shower.
Ozzy is hoping to do one last (likely very short) tour. Keep hope alive.
I've always been a Black Sabbath and "early Ozzy" fan, but as far as I'm concerned Ozzy should quit while he's still not too far off from being ahead. Even the old bands aren't nearly as good as they used to be.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

The only rock genre now I can think of that is actually still making big strides is Metal, but Metal has always been niche for the most part. Indie rock also has hits from time to time, but meh... It's not making big waves

It's not dead, it's just niche now. Like me, you were probably used to it ruling the airwaves and charts (to some degree).
You'll need to dig harder for good modern rock bands, but they still exist.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I've been into rock & roll for fifty years, and it's still my favorite genre of music. Sadly, rock isn't what it used to be. I remember when Pink Floyd released The Wall way back in the late 1970s. It was a block buster. Everybody talking about it. But there hasn't been anything even close to it in recent years.

The short answer is the music industry is vastly different today and no longer develops artists like it used to. That coupled with technology has all but eliminated the processes that fostered genuine talent..

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
It's not dead, it's just niche now. Like me, you were probably used to it ruling the airwaves and charts (to some degree).
You'll need to dig harder for good modern rock bands, but they still exist.

Eh... Sure, there's new good bands. There's even innovation. What it has lost, though, is relevancy. Without that, it's as good as dead imo. It no longer tests the boundaries and pushes the envelope

When older generations no longer hate the music a provocative genre produces, it's lost it's soul - this is especially true of rock

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Eh... Sure, there's new good bands. There's even innovation. What it has lost, though, is relevancy. Without that, it's as good as dead imo. It no longer tests the boundaries and pushes the envelope

When older generations no longer hate the music a provocative genre produces, it's lost it's soul - this is especially true of rock
Maybe. I dunno...I think you're romanticizing it a little. There's nothing wrong with political messaging in music, and I certainly like music with meaning. But I also grew up on AC/DC, which isn't exactly pushing lyrical or social boundaries too much. And that was the soundtrack of my high school years (later superceded by grunge, which could range from introspective and even occasionally thought-provoking through to complete junk lyrically...lol)

Not to mention Metallica, who often sounded more like earnest poetry by a 15 year old...ahem...

Perhaps you need to turn to hip-hop?

*ducks behind a wall for his own safety*

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I don't know where you draw the line.
I listen to mostly 70's rock since that is what I grew up with. I guess I would call it soft rock or rock ballets.
Rock and Roll is perhaps seen as earlier, like mid 50's?

I like a lot of contemporary music as well which which my kids say they are surprised I listen to. Though it doesn't seem that different from soft rock to me. Perhaps I'm just not smart enough to distinguish between the genre as they all seem to borrow from each other anyway.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.

Rock is well alive in my circle. Currently, I am jamming out to the Doobie Brothers with the lads over the course of many beers. As long as I live, so will rock and roll!!!!!!!!!

Jagella

I don't know. I find it kind of hard to judge new music.
I like some new music, but there's not nearly as much new music I like as in the 1970s and 1980s. Two exceptions are the 2005 Judas Priest album Angel of Retribution and the 2015 Scorpions album Return to Forever. So it's still entirely possible to put out good music.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Maybe. I dunno...I think you're romanticizing it a little. There's nothing wrong with political messaging in music, and I certainly like music with meaning. But I also grew up on AC/DC, which isn't exactly pushing lyrical or social boundaries too much. And that was the soundtrack of my high school years (later superceded by grunge, which could range from introspective and even occasionally thought-provoking through to complete junk lyrically...lol)

Not to mention Metallica, who often sounded more like earnest poetry by a 15 year old...ahem...

Perhaps you need to turn to hip-hop?

*ducks behind a wall for his own safety*

Hah! True, but what about the generation before that saw that their kids were listening to AC/DC? They were hated by them, at least generally. I mean look at these guys. They were certainly making a statement that would rub some people the wrong way - especially during the era of the satanic panic

ghows-CO-5be17fea-44b2-4ed2-bfd7-4ac1626a5226-012e534d.jpeg

As for Metallica, they especially challenged topics that folks would rather sweep under the rug and not think about, like suicide or the aftermath of war and it's effects on people. When's the latest anti-war rock song you can think of that was played on the radio? Yikes, the last one I can think of is B.Y.O.B. by System of a Down back in 2005. The genre's gone stale

As for hip-hop, there's some good music coming out of there, but as I've gotten older the music that's been constantly on my playlist has been progressive music of all genres, math rock, soul, and some indie songs. Stuff that's a lot more mellow. I still like some of the more edgy stuff coming out of metal, but I don't usually listen to that unless I am doing something active

Jagella

But people still listen to rock, and there are still rock bands releasing new music. So let's say rock is having a midlife crisis.
The only rock genre now I can think of that is actually still making big strides is Metal, but Metal has always been niche for the most part.
I wish I could agree, but one of the first omens I encountered was the downfall of hard rock and metal in the early 1990s. Iron Maiden's 1990 No Prayer for the Dying wasn't as good as Maiden's earlier material, and their music never recovered. Also at that time thrash metal was becoming popular, and I've never been a big fan of thrash metal.
Indie rock also has hits from time to time, but meh... It's not making big waves
I'm not even sure what Indie rock is because I don't follow rock much anymore.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
But people still listen to rock, and there are still rock bands releasing new music. So let's say rock is having a midlife crisis.

I wish I could agree, but one of the first omens I encountered was the downfall of hard rock and metal in the early 1990s. Iron Maiden's 1990 No Prayer for the Dying wasn't as good as Maiden's earlier material, and their music never recovered. Also at that time thrash metal was becoming popular, and I've never been a big fan of thrash metal.
Eh?

1992:
Dirt_(Alice_in_Chains_album_-_cover_art).jpg

I'm not even sure what Indie rock is because I don't follow rock much anymore.
R.E.M, The Pixies, Death Cab for Cutie are some examples.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I know I am! I just turned 62, and these days I worry if I can shower.

I've always been a Black Sabbath and "early Ozzy" fan, but as far as I'm concerned Ozzy should quit while he's still not too far off from being ahead. Even the old bands aren't nearly as good as they used to be.
Hey, I am 62 and I am seriously wondering if I can climb up a small ladder. Like two steps up. Seems risky.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think rock and roll died horrendously when the Rolling Stone featured modern moaner Billie Elish on the cover. Ugh.

By by American Pie.