• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is prostitution "immoral"?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It is my firm and unshakable belief that prostitution, in itself, is not immoral, although Badran, in himself, is.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I just say..."There's better ways to make money"

Often immoral and illegal get confused. Many legal, highly regarded occupations are the constant source of immorality. I'm more focused on/concerned with them.

I like the Swedish approach. Make prostitutes legal, but buying sex illegal. That way, they can focus on the people who buy sex instead of punishing the people affected by human trafficking.

Prostitution, simply put, is inherently exploitative (whether the prostitute is male or female). Prostitution is paying money so someone can do what they want to someone. Where does the idea of true consent go when their very livelihood depends on whether they let people have sex with them?

However, I don't want to see prostitutes targeted. What we need to focus on is the people who buy sex and the pimps who pretty much own the prostitutes. The reason I don't approve of prostitution isn't because it's "seedy", but because it's unethical no matter which way you slice it.

Also...

Comparing prostitution to working in an office or at a Fast Food job is a false equivalence. That isn't the same as your livelihood driving away any form of consent, and having one's own physical body being used like an object. It isn't the same thing, and you know it.

Last edited:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Prostitution, simply put, is inherently exploitative (whether the prostitute is male or female). Prostitution is paying money so someone can do what they want to someone.

Actually, though i'm sure this terrible condition may be true in some cases, it's hardly an accurate description of what always happens, and most certainly, what would happen if it were not an industry controlled by the scum of the earth.

I know people who have gone to prostitutes and were not allowed to do many things, depending on the prostitute and the acts she refuses to engage in. So it is neither inherent nor an accurate description of what the job title, in concept, offers.

Where does the idea of true consent go when their very livelihood depends on whether they let people have sex with them?

Your statement presumes for them to mind, or not prefer people having sex with them. And again, though it is definitely and sadly true in some cases, this is for a large part because prostitutes often use that job due to having no other choices in life.

But if you hear prostitutes talking about it, you'll find that it is not nearly as simple as you're proposing. Some of them don't mind at all. Hard to believe as it may be. Some describe for example how they usually enjoy it, and that when they don''t with a customer they just don't see him again regardless of how well he/she pays.

And from those who do mind, some are making the sacrifice willingly (like is made in many other unrewarding jobs), only difference is this one has a potential to pay off very well for them financially, and much more so if legalized and their rights were protected.

Also...

Comparing prostitution to working in an office or at a Fast Food job is a false equivalence. That isn't the same as your livelihood driving away any form of consent, and having one's own physical body being used like an object. It isn't the same thing, and you know it.

The main real difference is that all these other jobs are legal.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I like the Swedish approach. Make prostitutes legal, but buying sex illegal.
Pretty much renders the notion of prostitution meaningless. If one can't employ a person for sex then there is no such a person as a prostitute, legally speaking.

Prostitution, simply put, is inherently exploitative (whether the prostitute is male or female).
As is any other profession in which one offers their abilities in exchange for payment: butcher, baker, solider, spy. Thing is, if you think about it, it's a two-way street.

Where does the idea of true consent go when their very livelihood depends on whether they let people have sex with them?
To the same place where the ideas for true consent for all other livelihoods reside. :shrug:

However, I don't want to see prostitutes targeted. What we need to focus on is the people who buy sex and the pimps who pretty much own the prostitutes.
You do realize, don't you, that in focusing on the people who buy sex, in turn you're also targeting prostitutes. You're depriving them of their chosen means of livelihood by taking away their source of revenue.

The reason I don't approve of prostitution isn't because it's "seedy", but because it's unethical no matter which way you slice it.
So, what's unethical about a person charging others for the service/pleasure they provide; be it a haircut, a good meal, or sex?

Also...

What Badran said.

And if you don't think that hard physical labor, which I assume you consider legitimate occupations, isn't using one's body like an object then I know you've never broken sweat at work.

Last edited:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To give further examples of jobs in which someone puts in quite a lot, think about a daredevil, or a circus performer, or a cop, or a boxer.

All these people literally put their health and well being on the line, sometimes even their very life, just to earn some money. And in most of these cases, it is a very unrewarding amount of money.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
... and you know it.

In my experience, people who try to suggest that folks who disagree with them really, honestly -- perhaps somewhere "deep down inside" -- "know it" undermine their own argument by showing how weak and offensive their argument really is.

That is, they thus demonstrate for all to see that they both (1) have nothing stronger to offer in their defense than their desperate hope that others might uncritically swallow their butt boil of an argument, and (2) that their butt boil of an argument in the end has amounted to little more than arrogantly assuming others are lying about what they really know to be the case.

If you wish to argue, Steely, that folks "know it", then you must in decency provide sound reasons for why you believe that to be the case. Simply making unsubstantiated accusations that folks "know it" is cheap.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
In my experience, people who try to suggest that folks who disagree with them really, honestly -- perhaps somewhere "deep down inside" -- "know it" undermine their own argument by showing how weak and offensive their argument really is.

I agree though I am a tad surprised to hear you say this.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I like the Swedish approach. Make prostitutes legal, but buying sex illegal. That way, they can focus on the people who buy sex instead of punishing the people affected by human trafficking.

Prostitution, simply put, is inherently exploitative (whether the prostitute is male or female). Prostitution is paying money so someone can do what they want to someone. Where does the idea of true consent go when their very livelihood depends on whether they let people have sex with them?

Thats not at all how sex working works.

The sex worker has complete authority to rule what s/he will allow or not and what specific service s/he will give or not by any ammount of money.

Its not body rental, its the selling of a service.

About the livelihood thhing, it is consensual because they can turn down some customers and accept others at will and they still chose the carreer anyways.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The reason I don't approve of prostitution isn't because it's "seedy", but because it's unethical no matter which way you slice it.

personal opinion presented as fact does not make personal opinion fact.

Are you aware of the fact that prostitution is legal in some parts of Nevada?

AmbiguousGuy

That is, they thus demonstrate for all to see that they both (1) have nothing stronger to offer in their defense than their desperate hope that others might uncritically swallow their butt boil of an argument, and (2) that their butt boil of an argument in the end has amounted to little more than arrogantly assuming others are lying about what they really know to be the case.

If you wish to argue, Steely, that folks "know it", then you must in decency provide sound reasons for why you believe that to be the case. Simply making unsubstantiated accusations that folks "know it" is cheap.

I especially enjoy it when my dialogue partner asserts that we both know I am a lowly worm, unwilling to engage in honest debate, while he is a mighty debater who is wiping the floor with me.

It always makes me giggle a little.

Most of the people that complain about prostitution are those who aren't hot or desirable enough to become a prostitute themselves, who are closed off from taking up such a profession either because of their age, their poor genetics, their poor diet and measure of fitness, or because their views are dominated by their religion or government.

If only humans here could embrace the concept of sacred prostitution as it was in Sumerian times.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Most of the people that complain about prostitution are those who aren't hot or desirable enough to become a prostitute themselves, who are closed off from taking up such a profession either because of their age, their poor genetics, their poor diet and measure of fitness, or because their views are dominated by their religion or government.

If only humans here could embrace the concept of sacred prostitution as it was in Sumerian times.

What are your rates?

Me Myself

Back to my username

Prostitution doesnt need to be sacred either to not be immoral.

Prostitution doesnt need to be sacred either to not be immoral.

That's not why I mentioned sacred prostitution.

I don't care who considers it immoral, and honestly I don't care whether or not its immoral at all.

I mentioned sacred prostitution because of the culture, the ritual, the spiritual aspect of it. The experiences themselves. The exhilaration I cannot even begin do describe during certain scenarios. The euphoria. The relationship with a higher power. To work with a sex goddess and learn to push your limits while directing mana (spiritual energy) their way.

User Inactive

Bid Farewell
Every man/woman has a sexual desire.

There are 1,000's of cases where physical shortcomings, handicaps prevent them from getting married. What other way do they have to feed the desire/need? I don't think it is immoral from that POV.